NEWS Write off the Broncos at your peril, they can still take the title

I could be misremembering but I remember having the conversation on here with @Unbreakable where he basically gave the Roosters credit because they tried the rebuild, it didn't work, so they just went ahead and bought Keary and a host of others.

It reminded me of The Simpsons where Mr. Burns gives up on getting Homer into shape and just pays for his liposuction.

For the life of me, I can't remember how the topic came up. Maybe I shared my theory that rebuild seasons in Rugby League are a myth to try and gets fans to stick around?

If we are relating to the Simpsons then a more apt episode is where Burns buys all the pro softball\baseball players for their season.

I could be misremembering but I remember having the conversation on here with @Unbreakable where he basically gave the Roosters credit because they tried the rebuild, it didn't work, so they just went ahead and bought Keary and a host of others.

It reminded me of The Simpsons where Mr. Burns gives up on getting Homer into shape and just pays for his liposuction.

For the life of me, I can't remember how the topic came up. Maybe I shared my theory that rebuild seasons in Rugby League are a myth to try and gets fans to stick around?

Sounds familiar, I remember having the rebuild discussion, I wanted us to go all in on the youth movement once I realised the core spine of McCullough, Hunt, Boyd was a million to one to deliver us a premiership after the way they performed post-2015 GF. In a way we've sort of had a rebuild, we're the 3rd or 4th youngest squad in the NRL this year, I imagine we were closer to 3rd or 4th oldest in 2015 with Parker, Blair, Hodges, Thaiday, Reed, Stagg, etc.

We've done well in that sense, the big name guys we've recruited are young enough to still be in their prime for a premiership window from (ideally this year, but probably not) 2020-2025 in Bird & Roberts. It might even be an underrated part of what the organisation has done post-2015, we've retooled for the next 5+ years without really having any major down years.

Gus Gould can write all he wants, they ain’t winning the title this year and will be lucky to scrape into the 8 at this rate

Gould has always liked us. He has liked how this club is run, the roster we have.

he respects us ... but respect is different from like.

you could tell from his early commentary that he hated us ... although it seams to have dissipated recently, maybe because he is able to hide it better, or because he doesn't have the same hate he once had

But Pete there are many forms of rebuilding. You might need to rebuild your roster, your coach even your administration. A club needs to keep rebuilding or reinventing itself to stay in front, up with the leaders. The Broncos are very good if not great financially but it’s on the football field we really haven’t kept up. We have changed our coach, his assistants and therefore our systems accordingly and for that reason if nothing else.
If we are not currently in a rebuilding stage then we should be.

I don't mind a rebuild but the problem is that any good youngsters that you bring in and develop, and who show some promise, just get an over inflated price tag from the likes of the Titans and Newcastle. It's the nature of modern football and it's hard to hold onto them. I think a good rebuild needs to incorporate some youngsters but also go to market for some good experience in key positions when required.

There is a fair argument to it, he could get injured, his body might not be mature enough yet to handle playing against men.

If you're good enough, you're old enough. There's only one way to find out. We pitched Lockyer in when he was 18. Luke Brooks debuted at 18 and handled it just fine. KHunt was 18.

I watched Dearden in the Broncos v wynnum trial, he is a long way off. He isn't a big talker at all and if we want him to play the game manager role then he will fail at this point in his career. Give the kid a full year in cup and let him develop there. He isn't ready to drive an NRL club around. He is better off long term learning his trade along side Scarlett for this year and then look to next year for his chance.

A little bit of track here, outside of Harry Grant who has been exceptional for the sunny coast this year. The easts hooker, Aaron booth has just about been the best player in cup. I don't know much about him however I believe he is only 21 and would be a very good buy, he is NRL ready.

I watched Dearden in the Broncos v wynnum trial, he is a long way off. He isn't a big talker at all and if we want him to play the game manager role then he will fail at this point in his career. Give the kid a full year in cup and let him develop there. He isn't ready to drive an NRL club around. He is better off long term learning his trade along side Scarlett for this year and then look to next year for his chance.

Do kodi and Milford talk much?

I don't mind a rebuild but the problem is that any good youngsters that you bring in and develop, and who show some promise, just get an over inflated price tag from the likes of the Titans and Newcastle. It's the nature of modern football and it's hard to hold onto them. I think a good rebuild needs to incorporate some youngsters but also go to market for some good experience in key positions when required.

The player market values need readjusting, and if we didn’t have the SL and various Union competitions it would simple to do or would happen naturally anyway.

With the escalating salary cap, endorsements etc along with the other competitions being able to poach players, managing rosters and especially the kids will become more pot luck if the ones you choose and/or can afford to keep turn out to be better than what you get pillaged from you.

A little bit of track here, outside of Harry Grant who has been exceptional for the sunny coast this year. The easts hooker, Aaron booth has just about been the best player in cup. I don't know much about him however I believe he is only 21 and would be a very good buy, he is NRL ready.

Well I hope we have a look at him then. Need someone to put pressure on Macca.

How do we go from lambasting Bennet from not making the top 4 to not making the 8 with siebold, "but that's ok"?
We lost Maguire, thaiday, opacic and Korbin Simms. With the exception of Maguire, who only just made rep football and was severely down on form, none of them were considered world beaters, with most saying thaidsy had run a year too long on his career (if not two).
We have to be patient and not expect miracles, but surely holding onto a football, knowing when and where to kick, and making tackles doesn't require years of drilling.
I wasn't expecting a premiership, but still think we should be doing a lot better than what we are putting out. We still have two rep halves and a host talented forwards.
If they can't handle the plan the coach is dishing out what does that say?
Either the players need replacing or the coach needs a simpler plan. I'll take either but this crap of taking time to gel with a new system.
Sure our forwards are young but they haven't been the problem. It's the pathetic, and insipid attack, based on running players into the ground, and complex plays that inevitably stuff up.
We need to build a platform, to wear opponents down, and THEN, and only then, go for the throat. Anything else is simply misplaced arrogance that is apparent in every loss.

How do we go from lambasting Bennet from not making the top 4 to not making the 8 with siebold, "but that's ok"?
We lost Maguire, thaiday, opacic and Korbin Simms. With the exception of Maguire, who only just made rep football and was severely down on form, none of them were considered world beaters, with most saying thaidsy had run a year too long on his career (if not two).
We have to be patient and not expect miracles, but surely holding onto a football, knowing when and where to kick, and making tackles doesn't require years of drilling.
I wasn't expecting a premiership, but still think we should be doing a lot better than what we are putting out. We still have two rep halves and a host talented forwards.
Either the players need replacing or the coach needs a simpler plan. I'll take either but this crap of taking time to gel with a new system.
Sure our forwards are young but they haven't been the problem. It's the pathetic, and insipid attack, based on running players into the ground, and complex plays that inevitably stuff up.
We need to build a platform, to wear opponents down, and THEN, and only then, go for the throat. Anything else is simply misplaced arrogance that is apparent in every loss.
Absolutely agree. It's complete rubbish when people say it's going to take time etc. They should already know how to catch and hold onto a football, they should already know how to tackle effectively and properly, they should already know how to pass to a player rather than passing it to the ground etc.

I think there's more to it than just being able to talk, but that's like the starting point. If they don't even do that, why are they in the halves lol?

As I see it, there are 2 issues you raise which need to be separated.

First, Bennett had the team for what, 4 years, and Seibold has had the team for 4 games, well, 5 then. That comparison is for mine unfair and cuts no ice.

The spine, and the halves in particular, are a product of Bennet-ball and as far as I can tell, and I might be wrong, already, things are different under Seibold. For example, Kodi and Milf are playing a lot more on the same side instead of on opposite sides of the park. They are also creating quite a few try scoring opportunities, some which get a result, more which stuff up because of poor finishing.

Second, Seibold's structures and shapes do need time to evolve and 5 games is for mine, not enough time for that to happen.

Attitude and the football basics - yes, that IS an issue for Seibold and I am with all of us in saying time IS running out for the players to do the basics properly or get dropped.

Finally, as far as I know, there is nobody from the lower grades doing well enough at this point in time to step up. As Seibold has said, another 3 rounds will be enough for him to gauge who cuts it, or who gets cut.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Morkel
  • Sproj
  • Wild Horse
  • bb_gun
  • Rookie Alan
  • Harry Sack
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Spoon
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  • Santa
  • Cavalo
  • Thelmus
  • Fitzy
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncorob
  • Financeguy
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.