NEWS Write off the Broncos at your peril, they can still take the title

Finally, as far as I know, there is nobody from the lower grades doing well enough at this point in time to step up. As Seibold has said, another 3 rounds will be enough for him to gauge who cuts it, or who gets cut.[/QUOTE]
Watched Dargon and SOS today. If Milford and Kodi had played they would have a field day. This to me demonstrates that these two are nowhere near ready to play first grade.

Finally, as far as I know, there is nobody from the lower grades doing well enough at this point in time to step up. As Seibold has said, another 3 rounds will be enough for him to gauge who cuts it, or who gets cut.
Watched Dargon and SOS today. If Milford and Kodi had played they would have a field day. This to me demonstrates that these two are nowhere near ready to play first grade.[/QUOTE]

Saw the game as well, those calling for the heads of Knik & Milf in favour of these guys will be sorely disappointed if it’s to happen. These guys need to have breakout years or we’re forced into the market for another half.

Watched Dargon and SOS today. If Milford and Kodi had played they would have a field day. This to me demonstrates that these two are nowhere near ready to play first grade.

Saw the game as well, those calling for the heads of Knik & Milf in favour of these guys will be sorely disappointed if it’s to happen. These guys need to have breakout years or we’re forced into the market for another half.[/QUOTE]

I like what Kodi has done up till now attack wise. However, as so many others have observed, the game management and leadership issue is an absolute key to our success or otherwise, and if/when that happens (and it has to happen soon) I can't see it happening from Kodi. Milf maybe ... Personally, I think he has it in him although he needs support from the 1 and 9 which is where our really problems lie.

I don't agree with the criticism levelled at Milf by some on here. For mine Milf has played really well in the circumstances of new structures and shapes. His kicking game has been good and he has worked with Kodi to set up some good try scoring opportunities. As I suggested earlier, the real issues we have is our 9 and 1 again, which echoes so many of us on these boards.

The more I think about it, the more I can live with Macca - for the moment. It's Boyd whom I am beginning to question as being a major issue for this side in the context of Seibold's game plan. Boyd for mine offers nothing new or creative. All the top sides have FB's who have good running games in attack and are consistently solid defenders. The Roosters and Tedesco, even the Storm have an able replacement for Slater. The Wabbits have Johnston who is no slouch.

I know many have posted similar thoughts about Boyd. It's just that I have been waiting for him to shine. However, he hasn't. So .... What does Boyd really offer this side , compared to those at the top, apart from being safe under the high ball? I reckon he needs to recapture his 2016 form ASAP or we have a pop gun at the back instead of a cruise missile.

Last edited:
Personally I'm still optimistic. Apart from the Rorters game, they have been in there with a chance. Deserved to lose all of them but weren't far off. Unless some halves and/or hooker and/or fullback come good and force changes, I'd say zero chance of winning the premiership but still think the top 8 is a good possibility. If we lose the next two games, both of which should be difficult, I think it's time to start thinking about the next year. This team in this competition isn't capable of putting together long winning runs which it would need to do if we lose the next 2 games.

Saw the game as well, those calling for the heads of Knik & Milf in favour of these guys will be sorely disappointed if it’s to happen. These guys need to have breakout years or we’re forced into the market for another half.

The more I think about it, the more I can live with Macca - for the moment. It's Boyd whom I am beginning to question as being a major issue for this side in the context of Seibold's game plan. Boyd for mine offers nothing new or creative. All the top sides have FB's who have good running games in attack and are consistently solid defenders. The Roosters and Tedesco, even the Storm have an able replacement for Slater. The Wabbits have Johnston who is no slouch.

[/QUOTE]

Macca should be the easiest to replace. There are a myriad of good No.9s coming through in NSW.

Macca should be the easiest to replace. There are a myriad of good No.9s coming through in NSW.[/QUOTE]

Changing Boyd for fullback 'X' won't do anything to solve our biggest problem - defence, nor our second biggest problem - error rate, nor all of our third biggest problem - a weak spine (though it will be a start).

Putting Boyd under less pressure by actually holding the middle and holding the ball, will see a dramatic improvement in our win / loss rate through less points conceded and better attack. You could live with Boyd out the back for a couple more seasons easily, if he isn't constantly being placed under pressure by p*ss-weak defence and limited attacking opportunities because we cannot hold the eff'ing ball. I'm sure even you admit Boyd still looks the goods when we do our sweeping left play to put Oates / Bird over in the corner. Let that be the main part of his game and perhaps a bit of support through the middle / kick chase pressure and he won't look that bad. Continually stressing any fullback with too much defensive responsibility and most of them would look bad, to be honest. We complete our sets and get to attacking opportunities rather than constantly being under the pump, will see automatic improvement in Boyd, simply by asking less of him.

To maximise our attack therefore, we firstly should be looking for an improvement in the person who touches the ball more than anyone else in the side, that being the no.9... One who could run, or ball-play a bit or kick or in fact do almost anything other than merely put himself in front of other players (and therefore be counted as a tackle) and dribble the ball to others, end over end in virtual slow motion, would be an added bonus...

Changing Boyd for fullback 'X' won't do anything to solve our biggest problem - defence, nor our second biggest problem - error rate, nor all of our third biggest problem - a weak spine (though it will be a start).

Putting Boyd under less pressure by actually holding the middle and holding the ball, will see a dramatic improvement in our win / loss rate through less points conceded and better attack. You could live with Boyd out the back for a couple more seasons easily, if he isn't constantly being placed under pressure by p*ss-weak defence and limited attacking opportunities because we cannot hold the eff'ing ball. I'm sure even you admit Boyd still looks the goods when we do our sweeping left play to put Oates / Bird over in the corner. Let that be the main part of his game and perhaps a bit of support through the middle / kick chase pressure and he won't look that bad. Continually stressing any fullback with too much defensive responsibility and most of them would look bad, to be honest. We complete our sets and get to attacking opportunities rather than constantly being under the pump, will see automatic improvement in Boyd, simply by asking less of him.

To maximise our attack therefore, we firstly should be looking for an improvement in the person who touches the ball more than anyone else in the side, that being the no.9... One who could run, or ball-play a bit or kick or in fact do almost anything other than merely put himself in front of other players (and therefore be counted as a tackle) and dribble the ball to others, end over end in virtual slow motion, would be an added bonus...

I agree with that. High error rate leads to play like the last 15min of last weeks game. One-out hit up after one-out hit up. I believe the whole team is just severely lacking confidence. The talent and desire to win is present but not the required confidence. It will come but if it doesn't come soon, this season will be a write off. Not 2 as I thought but 3 hard games coming up. No easy games in the salary cap era but Souffs, in form Canberra and desperate Shonkies with almost a full compliment or a full compliment back will be three of the harder games. The silver lining..... if you look at it from a short-term perspective, is that Origin isn't likely to effect us much this season. Oats is a near certainty and then Lodge, Roberts and TPJ are a chance for NSW though on form, they are no chance at present.

I agree with that. High error rate leads to play like the last 15min of last weeks game. One-out hit up after one-out hit up. I believe the whole team is just severely lacking confidence. The talent and desire to win is present but not the required confidence. It will come but if it doesn't come soon, this season will be a write off. Not 2 as I thought but 3 hard games coming up. No easy games in the salary cap era but Souffs, in form Canberra and desperate Shonkies with almost a full compliment or a full compliment back will be three of the harder games. The silver lining..... if you look at it from a short-term perspective, is that Origin isn't likely to effect us much this season. Oats is a near certainty and then Lodge, Roberts and TPJ are a chance for NSW though on form, they are no chance at present.

I like Lodge a lot as a player and I'm glad we have him, we would surely be in trouble without him, but I don't see him anywhere near NSW Origin yet.

Sorry but I'm writing us off.

We'll lose against Canberra on Sunday because we almost never win down there, even when our form isn't in the pits, and that will leave us at 1 win from 6 starts. We'll at least need to win the next 10 straight to get us back in the frame for a decent spot in the 8, and to do that we'll need at least 8 players from the top 17 to do a 180 on their current form, including Boyd and McC who haven't shown signs of good form in a long time and both our halves, who aren't doing terribly on their own but have absolutely no idea how to organize a side.

It's best for us, being the most passionate fans because we are the few who get on a fanbase forum and discuss the side top to bottom to accept that a 10th place finish or thereabouts is probably the best case scenario for us this year and just get over it and hope for better next season when Seibold has stamped his imprimatur on the side.

On current form I can't see us winning again until we play Manly in round 9 and even that's going to be tough. That'll give us what, a 2 & 7 start. Looking at the draw we have the Roosters, Warriors and the bye after that so win 3 might not come until we play the Titans in round 13. I think we're already on struggle street as far as making the 8 goes. Hopefully time proves me wrong.

Brooks played one game of first grade in 2013 after winning the 20s Grand Final the year prior. Even then, Brooks was graded before his time and it's taken a long time for him to play good footy.

Actually I got Brooks muddled up with another young Tigers half they promoted in 2013, Jacob Miller.

Brooks won the U/18s in 2012, was a stand-out in 20s in 2013 and was given his debut against the Dragons as an 18 year old.

I like Lodge a lot as a player and I'm glad we have him, we would surely be in trouble without him, but I don't see him anywhere near NSW Origin yet.
I just checked. NSW leading props, apart from Vaughan at St George, have hardly been setting the competition on fire. McLean, Ryan James, Klemmar and Regan Campbell-Gillard at Penrith is on the bench. Not sure if he is coming back from injury. Remembering Fifta isn't eligible. Unless I'm forgetting 1 or 2 others, Lodge has an excellent chance of being selected. In the long-term it's better for the club. Maybe he will be competing with TPJ for a spot.

Vaughan and Klemmer will be starting props.

I just checked. NSW leading props, apart from Vaughan at St George, have hardly been setting the competition on fire. McLean, Ryan James, Klemmar and Regan Campbell-Gillard at Penrith is on the bench. Not sure if he is coming back from injury. Remembering Fifta isn't eligible. Unless I'm forgetting 1 or 2 others, Lodge has an excellent chance of being selected. In the long-term it's better for the club. Maybe he will be competing with TPJ for a spot.

Vaughan and Klemmer will be starting props.

Why is Fifita not eligible?

He chose to represent Tonga going forward. Or was it Samoa? One of those.

Going forward? I think it's a year-by-year proposition, hence TPJ was playing for Tonga last year, and will play for NSW this year.

Going forward? I think it's a year-by-year proposition, hence TPJ was playing for Tonga last year, and will play for NSW this year.
Really? I think you are wrong. TPJ hasn't been selected for any Australian rep teams. If he is, I believe he has to make a choice to be available for Tonga or Australia. Same applies to Taomololo and NZ.

Really? I think you are wrong. TPJ hasn't been selected for any Australian rep teams. If he is, I believe he has to make a choice to be available for Tonga or Australia. Same applies to Taomololo and NZ.

Taumololo is different becaus ehe has represented a tier one nation (NZ)

TPJ represented Tonga so under the old rules he would need to make himself available for Australia to play origin (he is only permitted one change to his nation between world cup cycles)

they changed the rules to allow Tier 2 nations to play Origin and for their Tier 2 nation

He chose to represent Tonga going forward. Or was it Samoa? One of those.

Fifita can still play Origin.

He could play games 1 & 3 and skip the second game to play for Tonga in the Pacific Test.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Battler
  • Brocko
  • kiwi2
  • KateBroncos1812
  • FACTHUNT
  • Rambstien
  • Organix
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Mr Fourex
  • Mustafur
  • Aldo
  • broncsgoat
  • Morkel
  • BroncosAlways
  • Galah
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Foordy
  • Wolfie
  • Justwin
... and 34 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.