CRICKET WTC and Ashes Tour of England

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
MOTM??

Has to be Head doesn't it??

Smudge the other candidate, but wickets have been shared across the bowlers and for the most part batsmen have seriously struggled.

Head was the difference I'd say

Big hundred after being sent in, it wasn't exactly smooth sailing when he arrived either.

Boland has been equally as good with some big wickets.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
And Lyon gets 4 in the end

Good to see the best team from the competition rewarded with the win... Aussies were pretty well dominant over the span of the tournament

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Wow I couldn’t think of a more underwhelming final to win.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Wow I couldn’t think of a more underwhelming final to win.
It would be nice if the first place team were able to play the one off test in their home country, as a bit of an advantage.

Might be too tough to organise logistically if things are extremely tight by the end of it, and considering the additional sports/events across Australian grounds, but you'd imagine the crowd, celebration and coverage would be far better it was being played at the MCG or SCG over the last week or so.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
It would be nice if the first place team were able to play the one off test in their home country, as a bit of an advantage.

Might be too tough to organise logistically if things are extremely tight by the end of it, and considering the additional sports/events across Australian grounds, but you'd imagine the crowd, celebration and coverage would be far better it was being played at the MCG or SCG over the last week or so.

I reckon they play one at a neutral venue, then the 2nd of a best of 3 is played at the country of the team who won the first one.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I reckon they play one at a neutral venue, then the 2nd of a best of 3 is played at the country of the team who won the first one.
No reward for coming first in that situation.

Australia has dominated the competition the whole way through and deserve some sort of advantage

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
No reward for coming first in that situation.

Australia has dominated the competition the whole way through and deserve some sort of advantage

You are right, I don't know how they do it though, the 2nd team deserves an equal opportunity to win the tournament, playing a one off at home.. it would be a monumental advantage for the home team.

I know in most sports playing at home is an advantage but in Cricket I would say there is no other sport where playing at home gives you such an advantage, especially in Test Cricket.

If they did the one off with one of the teams being at home, I wouldn't be shocked to see something like 90% of those games won by the host after a few different tournaments, probably even a higher percentage. It will be interesting to see what happens when England make it to one of these finals.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
You are right, I don't know how they do it though, the 2nd team deserves an equal opportunity to win the tournament, playing a one off at home.. it would be a monumental advantage for the home team.

I know in most sports playing at home is an advantage but in Cricket I would say there is no other sport where playing at home gives you such an advantage, especially in Test Cricket.

If they did the one off with one of the teams being at home, I wouldn't be shocked to see something like 90% of those games won by the host after a few different tournaments, probably even a higher percentage. It will be interesting to see what happens when England make it to one of these finals.
I would like if they moved the neutral venue around and not just Lords.

Gives an opportunity for different playing conditions at the neutral venue... It'd be interesting to see Aust vs Sth Africa on spinning decks in India for instance.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
It will be interesting to see what happens to both Australia and India now, both have aging superstars and stars, both teams will need to start looking at generational change. For Australia, this will be the ages of the side in 2 year’s time:

1. Warner 38 (he won’t be there)
2. Khawaja 38
3. Labushagne 30
4. Smith 36
5. Head 31
6. Green 26
7. Carey 33
8. Starc 35
9. Cummins 32
10. Lyon 37
11. Boland 36

Outside of that, Neser will be 35 I think and Hazlewood 34

There needs to be some younger introduced post-Ashes. The bowlers will be fine, so will the keeper but there’s a lot of decent younger guys but the batting is a huge question mark for openers and number 4.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
All the attention will be on England in this first game at least, can this "bazball" approach stand up against a world class pace attack?

There will be more questions than answers if it doesn't in their first innings.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
All the attention will be on England in this first game at least, can this "bazball" approach stand up against a world class pace attack?

There will be more questions than answers if it doesn't in their first innings.

Problem is, this world class pace attack doesn't stand up always against attacking batting.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
And yeah, in the absence of a Broncs game this week, tonight is the next best thing:

1. Lions
2. Ashes
3. F1 practice
4. Three cycling stage races

I will not be getting much sleep

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Problem is, this world class pace attack doesn't stand up always against attacking batting.

I was watching them previewing the ashes on Fox, they are right. England could be 3 for not many by the time Root, Brook and Stokes come into the game.

Be interesting to see if they're striking at 4/5 an over in that sort of a situation.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
And yeah, in the absence of a Broncs game this week, tonight is the next best thing:

1. Lions
2. Ashes
3. F1 practice
4. Three cycling stage races

I will not be getting much sleep

Max Verrstrappon can get fucked.

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
I've got no idea how this is gonna go transpire. Can only imagine what the Edgbaston crowd will be like if England are like 3/350 at tea.

I've got doubts over how calm our bowlers, fielders and captain can remain if England are flying along.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I've got no idea how this is gonna go transpire. Can only imagine what the Edgbaston crowd will be like if England are like 3/350 at tea.

I've got doubts over how calm our bowlers, fielders and captain can remain if England are flying along.

Agreed. I actually think the Aussie trump card here though is Lyon. England always struggle against quality spinners.

Active Now

• The Don
  • Porthoz
  • Santa
  • Lozza
  • Pablo
  • Foordy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • The True King
  • Mick_Hancock
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.