Xavier Coates: The Next Big Thing?

Loch Ness Monster

Loch Ness Monster

QCup Player
Oct 19, 2016
Curious to see if you guys are as high on this kid as me? Clearly a tiny sample size so far, but the fact the we have a genuine aerial weapon to kick to on the wing has me a wee bit excited.
I definitely think it was overused against Manly, and we certainly need to be exploring other avenues of attack inside the opposition 20. But I can’t think of anyone who has the ability (and hands) to consistently contest a high ball like this guy since Izzy, maybe Jharal? In any case, I think he’s well worth investing in long term. He obviously needs some solid defensive coaching, and I really haven’t seen him in any open space. Has anyone got or seen some juniors footage of how he covers the field? I’d love to see it.

Always had great potential but had many flaws too in what we saw last year. Looks to have put on some size and improved as player but he still had some work to do.

His potential is obvious and massive though.

Far too early to tell.

He hasn’t shown much apart from a good aerial ability. Defensively he is a nightmare.

gets alot of criticism about his defence but he is young and gets shifted between centre and wing a lot before coming into first grade. Controversial as this may be I still reckon hes better than farnworth. Having said that I hope both are in the team, always saw him as a centre

Potential is crazy good but we have been burnt by waiting/hoping for these young guys to be top 5 in their position material.

He is worth persevering with but way to early for the next big thing tag.

Would love our young guys to fly under the radar more than they do and earn the hype rather than have it given to them...

gets alot of criticism about his defence but he is young and gets shifted between centre and wing a lot before coming into first grade. Controversial as this may be I still reckon hes better than farnworth. Having said that I hope both are in the team, always saw him as a centre

His ceiling may be, but Herbie is currently a better footballer. He's error-free, takes hit-ups with no fear and looks really comfortable out there.

Just needs a try now, hopefully at centre he'll get more ball

Only a kid plenty of time let him cut his teeth on the wing for a bit

i mentioned it initially because you asked why Coates didn't move to center to cover Staggs.

defense would be that reason ... Farnworth is a better defender

I think he means if they are both bad defenders where’s the issue? Staggs gets the position while having bad defence so why is poor defence being held against Coates?

I think he means if they are both bad defenders where’s the issue? Staggs gets the position while having bad defence so why is poor defence being held against Coates?
And it would be preferrable to have all our biggest bodies as further in towards the middle as possible. Coates is never going to sort out his defensive deficiencies being parked out on the wing. he needs to be hardened up, and defending at centre allows that. Also don't say it negates his jumping game, because it doesn't. If anything it's a net benefit, because the kickers can still target him at centre, and suddenly he's getting his hands on the ball 9 times out of 10 right on top of their tryline with a winger right there to lob it down to who can score in the now undefended outside edge (because the Tupou and Ferguson types are absolutely going to come in and contest the ball with Coates. They know whose hands the bomb is going to, so lets use that against them).

Last edited:
with Coates i think we are far better leaving him to settle in one position rather than **** him around by moving him between center and wing.

Herbie can handle that better IMO.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • bazza
  • bb_gun
  • FACTHUNT
  • rnabokov
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.