Xavier Coates: The Next Big Thing?

I think he means if they are both bad defenders where’s the issue? Staggs gets the position while having bad defence so why is poor defence being held against Coates?

Maybe part of our problems on the edges and out wide is that our back rowers stand too far infield, like last week, when Offa and Oates who IIRC were standing under the posts when Manly spread the ball out wide really quickly, exposing our centres and wing with way too much space to cover. Maybe that's part of the reason why Staggs has defensive issues - he has no cover sliding wide as the ball moves wide.

I recall Gillett was always covering the edge and wider out nullifying any 4 on 3 scenarios. In any case our slide defence needs work big time

Last edited:
Maybe part of our problems on the edges and out wide is that our back rowers stand too far infield, like last week, when Offa and Oates who IIRC were standing under the posts when Manly spread the ball out wide really quickly, exposing our centres and wing with way too much space to cover. Maybe that's part of the reason why Staggs has defensive issues - he has no cover sliding wide as the ball moves wide.

I recall Gillett was always covering the edge and wider out nullifying any 4 on 3 scenarios. In any case our slide defence needs work big time

It poses a question, why isn’t Gillo used periodically as a edge defensive consultant?

I’m sure he’d be happy to come in and give some pointers, especially to the younger guys. Between him, Hodgo and Ryan I’m sure we can sort our defence problems pretty easily.

It's forgotten just how little football Coates has played.

Three ISC games in 19/20 for Tweed and Dolphins.
Qld Under 18- 2019
Qld Under 18 -2018
One Test for PNG
5 MM games in 2018
6 MM games in 2019
4 NRL games in 12 months

That's only eight games against men and not even a full season in total in two years.

You contrast that with Herbie who got to play 17 NYC games in 2017 and then 25 ISC in 18/19 and seven NRL games.

I have spoken about it a lot but Herbie's improvement from 2018 his first year against men for Norths and his second in 2019 was dramatic. Admittedly he had two bad arm injuries in 2018. Come 2019 and his running was excellent his body positioning was excellent and his want to do those things and the awareness to the impact they have on his team was greater. He developed a great understanding of the game.

Coates hasn't had that advantage, it's unfortunate that he hasn't played 30 ISC games and learnt his craft- but I think he is where he should be for the football he's been exposed to.

Last week was his second game since August last year against the Storm. The slow cooker approach to his career is going to mean that inconsistency might be a Coates trait for three years.

I have said since MM and Under 18, his strength beside the jumping is to come from the right hand side back infield guys just can't handle him. He just hasn't had the confidence to do it yet.

His benchmark game for involvement, the second half anyway was Queensland last year- great second half coming back against the inside shoulder and he ended up with over 200m.

Last edited:
It poses a question, why isn’t Gillo used periodically as a edge defensive consultant?

I’m sure he’d be happy to come in and give some pointers, especially to the younger guys. Between him, Hodgo and Ryan I’m sure we can sort our defence problems pretty easily.

What a bloody great idea

Our most exciting wing prospect since Jharal.
Maybe, but I'm a long way from putting him in Jharal's class. He was a freak right out of the gate. You might've forgotten his harlem globetrotter level ball handling and mad athleticism in scoring tries.

At this stage, Coates looks like a powerful runner who can jump and pass the ball. We haven't really seen anything superhuman yet. That said, we didn't see that from Mal Meninga at his age either. And look how that turned out.

I loved his boxing out/body position in the air. Reminded me of a top rebounder in basketball.

His athleticism, and that of Farnworth, especially the way he positions his body when he runs to always make metres, is something special. You can't coach that.

I wonder if our search for a quality FB, an answer to say Tedesco of whom Farnworth reminds of, is over, given time of course for either to mature. Also, we look to maybe have a perfect replacement for when Boyd retires, to partner Staggs in the centres.

I know it's early days, but for mine, our future looks a little brighter with these two.

Last edited:
Maybe, but I'm a long way from putting him in Jharal's class. He was a freak right out of the gate. You might've forgotten his harlem globetrotter level ball handling and mad athleticism in scoring tries.

At this stage, Coates looks like a powerful runner who can jump and pass the ball. We haven't really seen anything superhuman yet. That said, we didn't see that from Mal Meninga at his age either. And look how that turned out.

Meninga scored two tries and kicked five goals on debut in 1979 against Brothers and was playing for Queensland and Brisbane by middle of the year and in a grand final at Coates age.

Meninga scored two tries and kicked five goals on debut in 1979 against Brothers and was playing for Queensland and Brisbane by middle of the year and in a grand final at Coates age.

That's true but maybe the game back then was a lot different to NRL standards these days.

His athleticism, and that of Farnworth, especially the way he positions his body when he runs to always make metres, is something special. You can't coach that.

I wonder if our search for a quality FB, an answer to say Tedesco of whom Farnworth reminds of, is over, given time of course for either to mature. Also, we look to maybe have a perfect replacement for when Boyd retires, to partner Staggs in the centres.

I know it's early days, but for mine, our future looks a little brighter with these two.
Not that I have any issue with it, but it seems you (and many others) have totally written Bird off as a centre then.

I have to be honest and say as a Bronco all he has ever done is bring me grief. His salary could have been better spent on a decent FB but that is all with hindsight.

Next year when we get Boyd's Macca's and Kahu's dosh (and maybe offload Offa) we'll have a fair few shekels to buy in some much needed experience and hard nosed leadership.

Hell we could even concentrate on finding the best defensive coach in the business and throw some dosh at him as his expertise has to be worth more than one or two gun players.

Defence wins games, and without sorting out our D so that it reflects the likes of Storm and Roosters we're no chance of winning a comp.

I swear everytime the opposition enters our half I near shit bricks knowing that both left and right sides are hopeless and our middle is just as bad. I place bets with myself on whether it will be Boyd running out of the line, or whether one of our wingers will fail to stay on their wing.

Watching our boys is not really enjoyable at present eh!

It's forgotten just how little football Coates has played.

Three ISC games in 19/20 for Tweed and Dolphins.
Qld Under 18- 2019
Qld Under 18 -2018
One Test for PNG
5 MM games in 2018
6 MM games in 2019
4 NRL games in 12 months

That's only eight games against men and not even a full season in total in two years.

You contrast that with Herbie who got to play 17 NYC games in 2017 and then 25 ISC in 18/19 and seven NRL games.

I have spoken about it a lot but Herbie's improvement from 2018 his first year against men for Norths and his second in 2019 was dramatic. Admittedly he had two bad arm injuries in 2018. Come 2019 and his running was excellent his body positioning was excellent and his want to do those things and the awareness to the impact they have on his team was greater. He developed a great understanding of the game.

Coates hasn't had that advantage, it's unfortunate that he hasn't played 30 ISC games and learnt his craft- but I think he is where he should be for the football he's been exposed to.

Last week was his second game since August last year against the Storm. The slow cooker approach to his career is going to mean that inconsistency might be a Coates trait for three years.

I have said since MM and Under 18, his strength beside the jumping is to come from the right hand side back infield guys just can't handle him. He just hasn't had the confidence to do it yet.

His benchmark game for involvement, the second half anyway was Queensland last year- great second half coming back against the inside shoulder and he ended up with over 200m.

ive seen Herbie referred to as a “speedster” a few times but I haven’t witnessed that myself yet. Is he quick?

Not that I have any issue with it, but it seems you (and many others) have totally written Bird off as a centre then.
Kind of written off ever seeing him play RL again, tbh.
[automerge]1592357930[/automerge]
Sure, South's were my team in '79. Saw him play live a few times, and like you say, he was a star by BRL standards even back then. He was big, fast, strong and could kick goals, but he wasn't the freak that Jharal Yow Yeh was.

No offence to Mal, but no one was.

Last edited:
That's true but maybe the game back then was a lot different to NRL standards these days.

I didn't make the comparison.
[automerge]1592358318[/automerge]
Sure, South's were my team in '79. Saw him play live a few times, and like you say, he was a star by BRL standards even back then. He was big, fast, strong and could kick goals, but he wasn't the freak that Jharal Yow Yeh was.

No offence to Mal, but no one was.

What's that got to do with anything? You didn't mention JYY. You said Coates and Meninga at the same age- it wasn't correct.
[automerge]1592358349[/automerge]
ive seen Herbie referred to as a “speedster” a few times but I haven’t witnessed that myself yet. Is he quick?

Very quick, in a Hodges doesn't look like it way.

Last edited:
What's that got to do with anything? You didn't mention JYY. You said Coates and Meninga at the same age- it wasn't correct.
Maybe need to read it in context, but whatever. Mal never played in the NRL when was Coates' age, he played in the equivalent of the ISC. Just saying Mal wasn't a freak at 18 like JYY, he was more of a high speed bulldozer, but that works too.

So there's no hard feelings, let's all pay respect to this kid cut down before he even reached his prime:

I didn't make the comparison.
[automerge]1592358318[/automerge]
Very quick, in a Hodges doesn't look like it way.

No you didn't. I was just pointing out what in my view might have made it a little easier for a star like Mal to shine.

As for Herbie's speed, as you put it so well, the natural talent he has in the way he moves his body to always make metres, and his speed off the mark tells me he would, down the track, be a great FB. The question will then become, does he have any ball skills and can he kick. Down the track ... could save us a lot of money, especially if Bird returns next year to a FB role.

Anyway, I look forward to watching Herbie play no matter what position suits him best.

Personally, I don't think Bird's body shape is suited to this game but I hope I am wrong.

Last edited:
No you didn't. I was just pointing out what in my view might have made it a little easier for a star like Mal to shine.

As for Herbie's speed, as you put it so well, the natural talent he has in the way he moves his body to always make metres, and his speed off the mark tells me he would, down the track, be a great FB. The question will then become, does he have any ball skills and can he kick. Down the track ... could save us a lot of money, especially if Bird returns next year to a FB role.

Anyway, I look forward to watching Herbie play no matter what position suits him best.

Personally, I don't think Bird's body shape is suited to this game but I hope I am wrong.
I’m no expert, but with respect to kicking, wasn’t he in some Man U development squad?

Which reminds me of Denan Kemp, who was good at soccer but not Man U development squad good, and how he had that freakish ability to soccer a league ball along the ground to score that cracker of a try.

Get to it, Herbie.

Active Now

• Big Del
  • Waynesaurus
  • Dexter
  • xilliun
  • Lurker
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • Bucking Beads
  • Harry Sack
  • Hurrijo
  • Bish
  • BrentTatesChin
  • Gaz
  • bb_gun
  • Jedhead
  • TwoLeftFeet
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.