PLAYER Xavier Willison

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I hope we don't get too carried away with Walsh's contract. Whiles he's good, we can't ruin our cap for him.

I doubt we will ... And I certainly doubt Rothfields claim that it is now going to be closer to $1.4 million a year that $1.1 million

People need to relax and have patience ... These aren't standard employment contracts.

Unfortunately one of the down sides of plugging the leaks is that you no longer hear info about progress with talks

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
I hope we don't get too carried away with Walsh's contract. Whiles he's good, we can't ruin our cap for him.
They will be very weary over R V Milford regarding this... Walsh will earn the biggest payday through Third Party Deals and will have more of those opportunities in Brisbane. If he goes to Sydney he is instantly competing with the likes of Turbo, Tedesco, Mitchel and the like. In Brisbane he is in a league of his own.

Cobbo will stay for similar reasons.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Id rather ruin the cap for a marquee like Walsh who we can never seem to find then keep it for forwards who literally fall out of the production line every year.
We have finally produced a marquee fullback who has the ability to become the NRLs darling for the next 10 years and people are like oh don't pay him to much cause we have a few forwards we need to pay. Walsh is our biggest asset to the club moving forward and they will definitely reward him for this and deservedly so.
I'm not saying I would be happy if we lost a front rower like Wilison to another club with a better offer but we seem to be decent at finding excellent forwards year in year out to step up to fill the void. What we cant seem to really find is quality spine players every year. Prioritize the spine first because at the end of the day, they are the ones who help you win premierships the most.

Santa

Santa

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jun 30, 2020
Id rather ruin the cap for a marquee like Walsh who we can never seem to find then keep it for forwards who literally fall out of the production line every year.
We have finally produced a marquee fullback who has the ability to become the NRLs darling for the next 10 years and people are like oh don't pay him to much cause we have a few forwards we need to pay. Walsh is our biggest asset to the club moving forward and they will definitely reward him for this and deservedly so.
I'm not saying I would be happy if we lost a front rower like Wilison to another club with a better offer but we seem to be decent at finding excellent forwards year in year out to step up to fill the void. What we cant seem to really find is quality spine players every year. Prioritize the spine first because at the end of the day, they are the ones who help you win premierships the most.
I guess I'm just still scarred from the Milford days lol.

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
Although I want to keep X, I remember the doom and gloom posting over losing Arrow only for Carrigan to come along. We haven't lost too much with Fifi, probably the best attacking forward in the comp, leaving either.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I know people are saying use money from fringe players like Del, Oatesy and Tapau for example to upgrade Willison, and while they are all on probably about $200-250k a year, you still have to replace those players in the squad.

I've always said it, the key to managing your cap is to not pay everyone top dollar and to not try to have a superstar in every position. No club can carry that many without a sacrifice from certain players at the club, and for us, that means Haas staying for less, and Reece signing for less. Payne didnt, and i doubt Reece will either. You even look at a player like Piakura. Proved nothing in his career yet really, but i reckon he's already on over $600k a year if not more considering his contract he signed in 2021 was worth $400k a year.

What we need now from Willison is the rest of the year of him doing what he has been doing so far this season. Once he has done that, then we should be talking figures with a better indication of his consistency.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
People needed to listen to me. I told you all we were in safe hands with Patty 😁
Patty was the call of the century however I always agreed - Even in the tough times i remember Patty running the ball straight, getting hammered every hit-up and then line up for more in the next set! It was great to see.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Safe to say he is the only positive we can recall from this season thus far, I would still take him over Flegs now he punches holes through lines like no other and his best is yet to come, just a shame every other requitement decision this year for us has been mud, that said if this boy doesn't play for the Kiwis at the end of the year he has been robbed he is legit a middle superstar in the making.

it is a hard balance for us as Te Kura is coming though, it's arguable he is even better but I don't see a scenario we keep both Willison and Te Kura once they are first grade established, and Te kura is disadvantaged in this scenario being the younger player to establish himself when Willison has already looked like a star, he probably doesn't have the time on his side to make his case before Willison gets his bumped contract which might force him to leave.

we already have super star backs at this point so making any more room for forwards is going to be hard.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
That's where some of these guys who profess love and loyalty for the club need to put their money where their mouth is.

Stay for less......if the Broncos are your home.
It just won't happen. They would probably be happy to stay for slightly less, but they are looking at double or triple the paypacket elsewhere. It's a no brainer for them. The other thing is though, Haas has only signed a two year extension and will probably not earn the same type of money next time. Maybe there is opportunity for him to take a haircut on his next contract to allow for these younger guys to have a slice of the pie.

Over all we have recruited brilliantly over the last 4 years if you take into account the Jensen, Reyno, Smoothy, Walsh types

Baker has been a massive let down but all in all, our side in 2021 didnt have Reyno or Walsh which are two pretty big inclusions in recent times.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
That's where some of these guys who profess love and loyalty for the club need to put their money where their mouth is.

Stay for less......if the Broncos are your home.
It’s more the guys like Walsh, Mam, Haas, Staggs that need to take more to stay. They’re the ones who can have earnings away from football.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Stop now you`re starting to scare me .
Queen Latifah Equalizer GIF by CBS

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
This kid is a superstar in waiting imo(scary to think he is younger than Walsh lol), played Starting Middle covering for Patty who went to edge and played out of his skin, because of that we could play toe to toe with Penrith for a big part of the game(the pinnacle of forwards in the game imo when you combine their edges).

Was very good defensively I felt and punched holes effectively too, it's a shame our other forward recruitment decisions have sucked because he has eclipsed Flegs already in his first full season his direct replacement imo.

A very solid dependable middle in his first full season, it's undeniably impressive.

Outside injury if he doesn't make the Kiwi team at the end of the year he has been robbed.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.