Your History with Broncos Grand Finals

1997 was the first grand final I remember but I was only 6 at the time, I don't remember it the best but parts of it.

1998 was similar, I remember it but parts of it, 2000 I remember it fully watching it at my grans house, at this point I thought how insane it was how we were basically winning it nearly every year or every other year.

The gap to 2006 was a big difference and I didn't have that much confidence going in given how our season went only really picking up form in the 2nd week of the finals, Storm dominating most of the year, but having watched it in Brisbane at the time for something unrelated(I was there for a wedding and it overlapped lol) made it pretty special as the city went nuts when we won.

I had my 34th birthday just before the first grand final and attended the grand final with my best mate. Was very hung over which actually did dampen the occasion. Sick as a pig and couldn't keep food or fluids down such was the damage from the night before.

Still...twas brilliant

Last GF I was in New York so ignored my phone for the day and went to stream it on some online streaming service(can't remember its name) and the thumb nail was the Cowboys holding the trophy so watched the whole game wondering when it was that we lost it. I don't remember the wins like I remember that loss. This time I am watching it as it happens which I guess means we will win like the other ones I didn't watch on tv as they were happening live!

This thread has been inspiring as the dad of an 8yo. Will be taking him with some family to a local sports club to watch the GF, rather than staying home as I planned. Time to plant those core Broncos memories, no matter the final score. It’s been a slog the past few years to get him into it. He’s pretty excited now, and it will be great for him to be amongst some footy ‘atmosphere’ in a busy venue.

As for the past, I only have vague memories of the early nineties grand finals, though watched a lot of footy from the late eighties (strongest memories were the tests/tours/origin). Was heavy into basketball and it was prime Jordan time.

97, didn’t watch it. It was my first year out of school and living with a girlfriend. Super league did me in and I was still on B’ball/NBA.

98, I was a lab rat at these old nursing blocks just north of RNA Showgrounds. My bestie from school and flatmate was studying to be a pharmacist, so got us into a well paid clinical drug study. We were admitted for the weekend with cannula’s inserted and ‘tested’ every hour or so for evidence of side effects and half-life in a controlled environment. Pretty sure it was commercial brands of Valium, and all I remember from watching both AFL and the Bronco’s GF, is that I never finished that hopeless Stephen King book I’d brought for dull moments. I didn’t get the placebo, and slept almost constantly.

…Back to basketball/triathlon…

2006, Watched partner’s family up in the Sunnie Coast Hinterlands. We’d made a massive party of it and were pretty drunk. Just remember jumping around celebrating on old, bouncy timber floors!

2015, this Same location and same setting as before, but this was the first time I’d shed a tear at the result of a footy game. Core memory.

This thread has been inspiring as the dad of an 8yo. Will be taking him with some family to a local sports club to watch the GF, rather than staying home as I planned. Time to plant those core Broncos memories, no matter the final score. It’s been a slog the past few years to get him into it. He’s pretty excited now, and it will be great for him to be amongst some footy ‘atmosphere’ in a busy venue.

As for the past, I only have vague memories of the early nineties grand finals, though watched a lot of footy from the late eighties (strongest memories were the tests/tours/origin). Was heavy into basketball and it was prime Jordan time.

97, didn’t watch it. It was my first year out of school and living with a girlfriend. Super league did me in and I was still on B’ball/NBA.

98, I was a lab rat at these old nursing blocks just north of RNA Showgrounds. My bestie from school and flatmate was studying to be a pharmacist, so got us into a well paid clinical drug study. We were admitted for the weekend with cannula’s inserted and ‘tested’ every hour or so for evidence of side effects in a controlled environment. Pretty sure it was commercial brands of Valium, and all I remember from watching both AFL and the Bronco’s GF, is that I never finished that hopeless Stephen King book I’d brought for dull moments. I didn’t get the placebo, and slept almost constantly.

…Back to basketball/triathlon…

2006, Watched partner’s family up in the Sunnie Coast Hinterlands. We’d made a massive party of it and were pretty drunk. Just remember jumping around celebrating on old, bouncy timber floors!

2015, this Same location and same setting as before, but this was the first time I’d shed a tear at the result of a footy game. Core memory.
I’m inspired by this thread to take my kid to a post game parade if we win. Would never in a million years have done that otherwise…

I'm trying to avoid this becoming too much like a blog, I'll sum up.

2000 - I was 10 years old and I got dragged to the local softball grounds so mum could watch the A-grade. Wasn't allowed to watch the game in the canteen since they were selling drinks, so listened to it in the car. Nobody really seemed that excited about the win and the whole event just felt like another Sunday.

2006 - Was on school holidays and had just come back from Sydney. Between this and the Killers new CD, my most hignly anticipated record, it was like all my Christmas' had come at once. Made a day of it and watched every game in the build-up. Have to disagree partially with Accept on it being a bludger. I felt I was watching a genuinely good game that was gearing up for a big climax. Unfortunately it got mired in so much controversy it affected the quality but until that point, it was one of the better finals in recent memory.

2015 - Went down to Sydney and had been awake for over two days when the game kicked off. Tried my best to take the Broncos to the moon ala Bingbong in Inside Out which I watched on the way down but wasn't to be. By the time I fell asleep on the train on the way home I'd been awake for over three days and my feet were swollen like balloons. The whole weekend just blurs together and after watching every Rugby League show, it didn't feel like I got to really process it until the start of the next year where they inevitably talked about it ad nauseum.

Last GF I was in New York so ignored my phone for the day and went to stream it on some online streaming service(can't remember its name) and the thumb nail was the Cowboys holding the trophy so watched the whole game wondering when it was that we lost it. I don't remember the wins like I remember that loss. This time I am watching it as it happens which I guess means we will win like the other ones I didn't watch on tv as they were happening live!

Classic!
I had a very similar experience, I was overseas at the time and couldn't watch it live, so I had ignored my phone all day, jumped on the PC to watch it and the bloody WINDOWS OS news feed thumbnail had JT in the crowd smiling after the game...
I quickly reacted however I deep down I think I knew what I saw. (however was in denial I guess)

As the game went on... I'm starting to gaslight myself... "oh was that a photo from a prelim game?" etc. etc.
I'm thinking there is no way we lose this game?
So at 16-12 and having so many chances to ice it... I'm thinking "cmon! cmon! please let me mistake that thumbnail"...
Then the last second try happens and I realised that thumbnail rang true... it was still such a weird feeling. However he then misses the conversion... at this point it is like the classic "car crash, I can't look away"
So I sat there and tortured myself through it.

It was a totally different experience to watching it live obviously, but it was such a hollow feeling after a great finals campaign.

At the end of the day, the devastation was real... as I had never waited 9 yrs to see us win another title... I had no idea at the time it would take us another 8 years to get another shot... and lose in a worse fashion.

2006 - I was at UNI at the time, watched it at home. Was my fav win of them all, as Locky is my fav player. Coming off the knighs final and the dogs prelim... 06 was special

2000 - Really can't recall this one, just started high school so I was into other things than footy at the time, I kind of feel robbed of this one and sadly didn't get to appreciate as much at the time.

1998 - Home, I was a kid and I grew up and lived in the canterbury-bankstown area at the time. It was wild. This was when league was really big in the area as well. I remember copping a lot of abuse at school since I was a bronx fan.

1997 - Home, I was a kid and I remember we had this REALLY OLD TV, and I remember watching it on that... The year I fell in love with the Broncos really. Im an immigrant and my parents didnt follow footy and the Broncos were the best and I loved their players and the way they played.

Broncos forever.

I have vague recollections of 97, but despite how much I’m invested my memory of grand finals is pretty lacking

2006 I remember a bit, but it’s hard to sort any real memories from the amount of times I’ve watched the highlights

2015 I was debating whether to make a mercy dash down to watch, ended up just staying home screaming ‘TACKLE HIM’ and just about throwing the remote through the TV

2023 … **** Sydney that shithole. Never going back

1992 - I was 1.

1993 - Still too young.

1997 - Went with my mum dad and older brother but can only really remember winning, and being so shocked at the noise and the size of the crowd.

1998 - Watched at home with the family. 7 year old me thought winning would be a yearly entitlement. Ouch.

2000 - BBQ party at ours. Lemonades for me as a 9 year old. Watched on the tele. Danced in the living room for hours after. Dad says that we nearly went but we were already heading to Sydney the next month for the Olympics.

2006 - 15 year old in the stadium living my best life.

2015 - tears in the stadium.

2023 - tears in the stadium.

Going forward, when we make a GF, I can't not go.

1992 - 2 years old

1993 - 3 years old

1997 - I think I was only just sort of learning about rugby league and what it was. I have very vague recollections of watching this in our rumpus room on a seriously old school TV (like with a knob), but I can't be sure if it was the GF or just a regular season game. I do remember the Sharks were playing and it was at night, so it's possible it was the GF. This is my first memory of ever watching rugby league.

1998 - I think this is when I became a Broncos supporter. I don't remember much of the match, but I remember watching the presentation ceremony afterwards on the telly.

2000 - I was a proper hardcore Broncos supporter by this point. Got my first jersey this year and went to my first ever game and sat on the hill at Marathon Stadium (now McDonald Jones). Gutted because if I remember correctly, all of our Origin stars were out, so I didn't get to see my favourite player, Locky in the flesh. Anyway, ended up watching the grand final next door, as I was sort of mates with the kid there who was a few years older than me. He said it'd be silly to try and watch it on our 34cm AKAI. 😂

2006 - First grand final I attended and geez, how good was it! Middle of school holidays, I was down visiting my gran at St Marys with my mum and sis. On the day I think we visited my Nan at Cambridge Park, then headed over to Penrith Station to catch the express in. Sat behind the goals, where I can vividly remember Hodgo breaking through the line to score. Sheer elation at full-time, and I was on a high for ages after that. 2006 was a good year.

2015 - I was there and it was heartbreaking. I've never watched a replay.

2023 - Again, I was there, and I think it was even worse than 2015, just because of the lead we built up, and the atmosphere in the stadium. There was an incredible number of Broncos fans there, it was starting to feel like it was going to be a special night. But, alas, heartbreak again.

After Sunday night, I told myself I don't think I could ever attend another grand final after the heartache of the previous two. But on reflection, if we make it again, I think I'd find it hard to resist attending. I need that redemption.

Just wanted to say, it's good to see you posting again mate!

Yeh good to see some of the OG ppl are still here!
It’s fantastic

I don’t think I recovered from post 2015 to be honest, we all know what happened after that…

Horrific final in 2016
Another melb demolition in 2017 and 2018-2021, basically felt like a tigers supporter 🤣

Still watched 90% of games when possible , esp with no-spoiler streamer replays these days, it’s great!

Since then , got married and had a kid
And back in Sydney.
Will try to take my 1 yr old to some Sydney games next yr

The only thing missing in my life is a broncos premiership 🤣
I’m still tryna recover HHAHA
my wife let me off the hook for a couple of days but I think she’s starting to get pissed off 😅 (she’s not a footy fan)
She doesn’t understand why I’m so flat

92 - mid high school. Saw some loser in a Wests Magpies jersey in '91 and wondered what sport it was. Ended up watching Brisbane from Round 1 '92 and had a great year.

93 - equally as dominant, was just a great time.

97 - Was working as a waiter at ANZ Stadium for the Broncos Corporate Boxes. Got to see most games, and get free food. Wonderful year.

98 - Exciting 20 club comp. We destroyed them

00 - Go Kevvie.

06 - It was so good to destroy the Storm - I thought we'd bottled it and used all our gas in the game against Canterbury but we went again.

15 - Numb. How'd we lose it? Milf made the break and it was all over and then Hunt didn't use his brain.

23 - was in LA. It was a very lonely 3am capitulation.

Great thread!

92-93: Early teenage years. Loved the 3pm kickoffs and family BBQs. We seemed invincible.

97: Watched at a pub. Pretty confident we would win and win well. Don't remember being nervous at all.

98: Was living in UK. A bit distracted by alcohol and travel stuff so I didn't get to see it live. I remember the feeling of relief and that we had proven we were the absolute best. ARL be damned!!!!

2000: Still overseas. Watched the game live still seriously hungover on a big screen in Ios in the Greek Islands. Surprisingly a heap of NRL fans there. I reckon about 100 Aussies and Kiwis. Remember being supremely confident. Lockyer, Lote & Wendell great.

2006: Flew down from the NT for the game last minute, via Adelaide and Melbourne😂. Had awesome seats next to John Howard and Eddie McGuire for some reason... Not confident at all in this game given Storm were so good throughout the season and we had had our run of losses during the season, until Wayne gave the lads a break mid-season. Went home to my 4 week old baby with a premiership as a fan. Loving life.

2015: Flew down from Cairns on the Sunday morning. Watched the Wallabies smash England in the world cup as I got onto the plane, so was really happy to start the day.

Met my Cowboys supporting mate and went out to the game. We were both nervous, not knowing who should be the underdog, but both claiming it.
At halftime I said to him, I think JT will get a kick to win it. When the Feldt try happened, he looked at me like I was Nostradamus. He still thinks I'm some sort of rugby league savant...😂
We lost, and I couldn't really process it for a day or two. All I remember is the Cowboys were my 2nd team before the game, and afterwards they were my mortal enemy.

2023: ****. It's still raw but I've finally been able to even think about the game. I can't watch any of it yet.
I flew down for the Storm final. Perfect..
I drove down for the Warriors game. Even better..
I flew down on the Sunday morning for the GF. Met up with the same Cowboys supporting mate, wearing his 1988 Bronx jersey. He was a Bronx supporter before the Cows came in.
The game was fucked. Couldn't believe we were only 2 behind at halftime.
I was sitting in section 404, so, elevated a bit but right in front of Ezra's breaks/tries. I've never been that excited/out of control/ecstatic at a game. I was literally hugging strangers and screaming primally. I think the frustrations of 2015, and the seasons following, the Storm hoodoo, 2008 Sims, Siebold, Wooden Spoon. Everything came out.
My mate says to me, are you confident now? No, I said. Never.
Cleary then fucked us up properly. The siren went, we looked at each other and just started walking. Sat on the train. Couldn't say a word. Couldn't sleep.
Messaged my wife, "I'm never watching a grand final live again".
It was a lie. I'll be there again. Probably until I'm too old to travel.
Love this club.

2024 - might try and get some tickets and head down to Sydney for the first time, watch the boys lift the trophy and Walsh get the Clive Churchill.

Active Now

• marw
  • Mighty Bronx
  • broncsgoat
  • Browny
  • LGH
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.