Your NSW Team

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
We have the QLD thread, so why not a NSW one. If you were in charge of picking the NSW side (and you wanted them to win.. coz otherwise i would just pick gidley 17 times), who would you pick, not who you think the selectors will pick

1. Moylan - i dont like comparing players to others, but i am seeing the lockyer comparisons and agreeing
2. Mansour - hardest bloke to tackle in league IMO
3. Walker
4. Jennings
5. Morris
6. Maloney - great running and kicking game, his running game would compliment a reynolds well.
7. A Reynolds - if nsw were serious they would pick this guy to give them a decent kicking game
8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Gallen
11. Bird
12. Cordner
13. Fensom

14. Merrin
15. Fifita
16. Watmough
17. Tamou

That backline is deadly. I pray they dont pick it

edit: forgot Cordner

Last edited:
1. Moylan
2. Hopoate
3. Jennings
4. Walker
5. Matauitauitaatuituiatairaea
6. Keary :(
7. Aeynolds
8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Gallen
11. Bird
12. Hoffman
13. Fensom

14. Idris
15. Fifita
16. Williams
17. Merrin

1. Moylan
2. Hopoate
3. Jennings
4. Walker
5. Matauitauitaatuituiatairaea
6. Keary :(
7. Aeynolds
8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Gallen
11. Bird
12. Hoffman
13. Fensom

14. Idris
15. Fifita
16. Williams
17. Merrin

Gotta ask, why hopoate? He has been below ordinary since his return. He seems to be riding off a few good games he played when filling in for Stewart at manly, but since then has been very ordinary. Has lost a LOT of pace too

1. Moylan
2. Morris
3. Walker
4. Jennings
5. Tupou
6. Maloney
7. Reynolds (Adam)
8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Fifita
11. Bird
12. Cordner
13. Gallen

14. Merrin
15. Scott
16. Vaughan
17. Wade Graham

Feels hard to leave Tedesco out, but Moylan is class.

1. Brett Stewart
2. Brett Morris
3. Dylan Walker
4. Michael Jennings
5. Daniel Tupou
6. James Maloney
7. Trent Hodkinson
8. Aaron Woods
9. Robbie Farah
10. Paul Gallen (c)
11. Beau Scott
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Greg Bird

14. Andrew Fifita
15. David Klemmer
16. Boyd Cordner
17. Trent Merrin

The biggest problem with NSW is their depth, as great as it is to have options, it's difficult to forge a good team if you're chopping and changing which is exactly what the Blues have been doing since Day 1. This side I believe achieves a good balance between rewarding the players for 2014 while bringing in a couple of new guys who offer something more.

I'm going with Brett Stewart at fullback. Out of all the Manly players, I think he's been head and shoulders their best and probably the only one worth feeding outside of the Round 2 performance by Cherry-Evans. He's played Origin before, always played very well and I believe it's important to have somebody reliable at the back.

Tupou, Hodko, Scott & Hoffman are examples of sticking with players and combinations that were successful. I think Dan could be an even bigger asset now with Maloney in the team, Hodko seems to perform well under pressure where as I question Reynolds' capacity to do the same and think Pearce needs another season outside of the Origin arena to prove himself while Scott & Hoffy are two of the form backrows in the competition and provide NSW the starch that is so underrated. I think people have the right idea selecting Fensom but don't think it's his time.

I like the idea of bringing in two bench props who are capable of bending the line, thus Fifita and Klemmer. Cordner gives you a handy edge runner who can be a nice inclusion after Scott has bullied JT while Merrin can provide some second phase late in the halves to give the Blues a bit of a sniff.

1. Moylan
2. Mansour
3. Walker
4. Jennings
5. B.Morris
6. Maloney
7. Pearce
8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Gallen
11. Scott
12. Hoffman
13. Bird

14. Fifita
15. Klemmer
16. Cordner
17. Watmough

Ive channelled Laurie Daley and here is what he will come up with

1. Josh Dugan
2. Daniel Tupou
3. Michael Jennings
4. Josh Morris
5. Brett Morris
6. James Maloney
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Aaron Woods
9. Robbie Farah
10. Paul Gallen
11. Beau Scott
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Greg Bird

14. Boyd Cordner
15. Trent Merrin
16. Anthony Watmough
17. Luke Lewis

Can't see Walker & Mansour both missing out, also can't see Lewis getting a spot, he hasn't been good in a couple of years.

IMO - they picked a squad in 2014 for a purpose - to break the hoodoo and Trent Hodgkinson and Josh Reynolds, for example, are not the future of success for NSW.

Moylan should be there. Guys like Klemmer, Mata'uia are the future of their squad.

After Farah and Smith there really is a dearth of hooking talent on either sides of the state line.

My issue with selecting a player like Moylan is that I think he's the type of player you've got to stick with for more than one series to get any value out of him. In my view, Tedesco is the future NSW fullback, all things going smoothly and if we're just biding our time, I'd much rather go with somebody like Stewart who's always been very reliable at Origin and offers more than say Dugan or Gidley.

I'd say Moylan has more of a rep future than Tedesco at this point, but I could be wrong.

I just get this feeling when watching Moylan that he's going to perform at every level, and he's only going to get better. Tedesco is very good, but his injury history worries me.

Moylan brings more to the table than Tedesco and Stewart. Tedesco has a tone of potential but just can't stay fit and gets injured to often. Stewart performed well for NSW from memory and is still a very good fullback who is safer than the pill under the high ball, great in support play with a great strike rate but Moylan can set up opportunities for his men, can run the ball back strongly, defend well, is a match winner and is everything that you would want as a fullback and will only get better with time.

I would pick Moylan but I wouldn't mind if Brett Stewart was selected though.

Moylan can set up opportunities for his men

Stewart is just as good if not better with the hands.

Moylan does offer more variety with his short-kicking game.

can run the ball back strongly

I don't think he's anything special in this regard but he's better than Stewart.

defend well

That's his big flaw and while it isn't critical, it isn't Origin standard either.

Meanwhile Brett Stewart is the best defensive fullback in the game.

a match winner

Compared to a two time premiership winner.

Tedesco has to get through this season but his speed, foot-work and everything else suggests that he's the best fullback coming through

I'm not gonna put down what I would go with, but what I expect Daley to do:

1- Roof Cruiser Grub
2- Daniel Tupou
3- Michael Jennings
4- Dylan Walker
5- Brett Morris
6- Smash all my Teeth Scummy Grub
7- Trent Hodkinson
8- Pillow with a beard
9- Buderus syndrome
10- Drug Cheating Scumbag
11- Smash my Face Grub
12- Ryan Hoffman
13- Glass my Face Scumbag

14- Andrew Fifita
15- Trent Merrin
16- Watamong
17- Boyd Cordner

1. Stewart
2. Dugan
3. Jennings
4. J. Morris
5. B.Morris
6. Maloney
7. Reynolds (Adam)
8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Gallen
11. Cordner
12. G. Stewart
13. Merrin

14. Fifita
15. Bird
16. Watmough
17. Wade Graham

On my selections :

- Moylan is the future but I don't think he could handle the physicality of Origin yet.

- Dugan doesn't offer much other than strong running game, hence to the wing for him. I'd consider Dylan Walker worth blooding on the wings too, same way we did with Chambers. I have reservations about Tupou, but he'd be the backup option.

- Rest of backline picks itself, though I do wonder if J. Morris is past his best. Nevertheless he is the incumbent and knows what it takes at this level.

-Club combos aside, I think Reynolds and Maloney complement each other well, and give them two good kickers link general play and conversions.

- Majority of the pack pick themselves. G Stewart comes back into the fold, as I think he gives them more dimension in attack, especially with Hayne out.

- Opted for Gallen at prop to allow Merrin more time on the field. He's the closest they have to Parker, and they'll be better for his presence.

Big Pete, I agree 100% with the depth on offer and trying to turn that into a team. As a Blue, I look forward to the contest and I am the first to say Queensland have been a team of champions for the last 8 years. Now, I sense it will be back to a contest and regardless of which team wins, we are all going to be treated to three fantastic games. I'm also hoping to see young Moeroa get a start. He is one of the stars of the future. Can't wait till next month.

It's a relief to me that NSW have got some depth in positions these days unlike the past. B-Morris is out for 2 to 3 months and there is Mansour, Hopoate, Richards, Matatuia in the wings. Hope they pick Mansour.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • bb_gun
  • Battler
  • bert_lifts
  • BroncosAlways
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BruiserMk1
  • Broncorob
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.