2011 Premiers

subsbligh said:
Minus Lockyer we're ****. The man is the centre of the club and will take 10 years to change the culture focusing on a single man

You'll be surprised how quickly the Broncos will adapt once Lockyer retires. It won't take 10 years, it won't even take 10 months ... The only thing Brisbane will need when that time comes is a group that's excited about stepping out of Lockyer's shaddow and becoming better players themselves and starting a new era for the club.

That's the key though, getting the right personel who are pumped for that sort of challenge.

Bull_Shark said:
subsbligh said:
Minus Lockyer we're ****. The man is the centre of the club and will take 10 years to change the culture focusing on a single man

You'll be surprised how quickly the Broncos will adapt once Lockyer retires. It won't take 10 years, it won't even take 10 months ... The only thing Brisbane will need when that time comes is a group that's excited about stepping out of Lockyer's shaddow and becoming better players themselves and starting a new era for the club.

That's the key though, getting the right personel who are pumped for that sort of challenge.

Agreed - the club has never be built on 1 player which has made us so successful

I agree, we do look like having a great squad next year, but a few things concern me.

1. Injuries, can strike any player at anytime (as we have seen this year). With the comp so close one or two key players out with long term injuries can totally derail a teams season.
2. The form of two key positions, halfback and hooker, both are critical to an successful team and we are badly lacking in this area.
3. Second year syndrome. It happens to just about ever boom first year player, Gillett, Hoffman and others can and might just suffer from it, some never recover, Myers, Carlaw, Webb and Walker had huge first seasons and never recaptured that form again. Gillett is a classic candidate for this. Do you really expect him to have the same impact next year as he did this year? I don’t.

Until we get Hooker and half performing and have a good run with injuries (re-2006) we will not win the comp next year.

Talking of injuries for next year, I heard on the news that Inglis is out of the tri-nations because of a shoulder injuries. If he needs a reconstruction that is 6 months out which will obviously affect his preseason and may have him missing the early rounds. Will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Mister Wright said:
Talking of injuries for next year, I heard on the news that Inglis is out of the tri-nations because of a shoulder injuries. If he needs a reconstruction that is 6 months out which will obviously affect his preseason and may have him missing the early rounds. Will be interesting to see what comes of this.
Luckily you don't need good shoulders to go on a diet eh? :P

I'd say Canberra and the Warriors are 2 teams that will enjoy the future and it will not surprise if Canberra have a bit of time at the top. They have bought well for next year, have a very solid squad and most are signed for a while. If I could have got on them for next year at ridiculous odds like I did this year then I would but they will be much shorter in the future. they may even be defending premiers next year....my beloved Broncs will still be struggling I fear unless we get a harder centre.

now our season is over i'll name the team i think should start next season.

01. Hoffman - great first full season in the NRL
02. Kemp - really good winger, especially if he can get back to his '08 form
03. Inglis
04. Hodges
05. Yow Yeh - inconsistent year for him but lots of potential and a good target for our halves to kick to
06. Lockyer
07. Wallace - had a poor year but he can play good footy and is a plays well with Locky. if he doesn't step it up early replace him with Hunt.
08. Tronc - workhorse prop
09. McCullough - i think he came down with a but of second year syndrome, stepped it up towards the end though
10. Hannant
11. Te'o
12. Thaiday
13. Parker - i know a few people seem to be against him on here lately, but he does a lot for our team and is an important player. does the stuff most people don't see. we would really miss him if he wasn't there.

14. Glenn - good utility player for us. can fill in at center,wing, backrow and at a pinch hooker or halves
15. Gillett - good impact player for us, but also able to fill in at numerous positions if we need him to.
16. Kenny
17. Anderson

Huge. said:
I'd say Canberra and the Warriors are 2 teams that will enjoy the future and it will not surprise if Canberra have a bit of time at the top. They have bought well for next year, have a very solid squad and most are signed for a while. If I could have got on them for next year at ridiculous odds like I did this year then I would but they will be much shorter in the future. they may even be defending premiers next year....my beloved Broncs will still be struggling I fear unless we get a harder centre.

what you mean like Hodges and Inglis the best center pairing in the world

Foordy said:
now our season is over i'll name the team i think should start next season.

01. Hoffman - great first full season in the NRL
02. Kemp - really good winger, especially if he can get back to his '08 form
03. Inglis
04. Hodges
05. Yow Yeh - inconsistent year for him but lots of potential and a good target for our halves to kick to
06. Lockyer
07. Hunt- is the future needs to learn from Lockyer whilst playing beside him.
08. Tronc - workhorse prop
09. McCullough - i think he came down with a but of second year syndrome, stepped it up towards the end though
10. Hannant
11. Te'o
12. Thaiday
13. Parker - i know a few people seem to be against him on here lately, but he does a lot for our team and is an important player. does the stuff most people don't see. we would really miss him if he wasn't there.

14. Glenn - good utility player for us. can fill in at center,wing, backrow and at a pinch hooker or halves
15. Gillett - good impact player for us, but also able to fill in at numerous positions if we need him to.
16. McGuire- actually adds something to the team when he takes hit ups.
17. Anderson

icon_thumbs_u

Sorry Foordy.....I should have been more precise but have made the point repeatedly in the preceding weeks in various other threads.

What I was referring too was the pack. The middle ground where we were found out on many occasions. I want some old solid reliable unfashionable hardworking forwards. Mature age guys who do not turn it up as easily as the younger guys generally do. It's a hard position to be strong in and when a team is strong there it is usually because those forwards are the older mature type. It is only my opinion.

Thus, a harder centre.

[icon_lol1. Perhaps you should have said a harder pack :P

Foordy I'm not too keen on "utilities" what is Glenn going to do? McCullough should be there for 80, he won't replace halves during the game nor will he be interchanging with any backline players as they all play 80 minutes. The backrow is two, easily three 80 minute players and with Gillett there I don't think we need another backrower, our strength is the backrow it's our forward pack that needs a lot of work so a third good prop is what we need.

In any case if Glenn is simply going to be a "utility" or should I say, replacement hooker then Hunt is the better man for the job.

I'll say it again. We are going to lose either Hunt, Glenn, T'eo or Gillett - to Qld Cup and soon after that, to another club, as Parker looks to be a permanent fixture in the side.

ATM, it looks like it will be Glenn.

There is no way we should have Gillett AND Glenn on the bench.

I still reckon Gillett must be our starting lock next year. He will give us added strike power in the middle. Let him prove he's the superstar we all hope he will be.

Using him as a utility is dumb. If we need a utility we have Glenn or Hunt as posted above.

Using Gillett as bench impact is the same logic as using Inglis on the bench for impact. DUMB.

If Wallace is starting halfback for the majority of the season instead of Hunt, we will miss the finals again.

We need to groom Locky's replacement. Hunt may well be 7, and Wallace to 6?

Let's hope we don't lose Ben.

The Rock said:
[quote="The Brizz":2lucu2ph]If Wallace is starting halfback for the majority of the season instead of Hunt, we will miss the finals again.

Really, why? Wallace has been our halfback for the past 3 years and we've only missed the finals this year. [icon_shru We would have also made the finals this year if Lockyer had not been injured. So are you suggesting that Lockyer will be injured next year or something?

We missed the finals due to our shit pack and because we had no leader on the field. (Not talking about a technical leader, I mean an inspirational leader). The issue with our halves isn't in the top 3 things that cost us a finals spot this year.[/quote:2lucu2ph]
^^^^^^This
The fact Wallace had a sub par season doesn't make him responsible for everything bad at the club, like some haters would want to argue... [icon_non

No, but I doubt he has the capacity to consistently make the most of having a pack including Hannant, Gillett, Te'o, Thaiday and a backline with Hodges, Inglis and Hoffman.

So I'd give a bloke who has some attacking clue a go.

Coxy said:
No, but I doubt he has the capacity to consistently make the most of having a pack including Hannant, Gillett, Te'o, Thaiday and a backline with Hodges, Inglis and Hoffman.

So I'd give a bloke who has some attacking clue a go.
If that happens, I'll happily give in and crown you agenda queen! [icon_razz1

Active Now

• Justwin
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Aldo
  • bb_gun
  • Bucking Beads
  • Johnny92
  • GCBRONCO
  • Stix
  • Browny
  • Sproj
  • Strop
  • Wolfie
  • Fatboy
  • Jazza
  • Fitzy
  • winslow_wong
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.