2011 Premiers

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
With a side like this, there is no reason we shouldn't win next year's comp.

1. Hoffman
2. Kemp
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Yow Yeh
6. Lockyer
7. Wallace
8. Tronc
9. Macca
10. Hannant
11. Thaiday
12. Parker
13. Gillett

14. Glenn
15. T'eo
16. Anderson
17. McGuire/Dodds

If we don't then it's time we spent good money on a decent coach. Meninga would be a nice fantasy.

Thoughts?

Well, last time we missed the finals we won it the next year. So history is on our side. [icon_lol1.

The Rock said:
Pretty sure the bookies will have us pretty close to premiership favourites for 2011.

I said it before, next year is Ivan Henjak's biggest test, not this year. Next year we'll be expected to finish in the top 2. Can he get us there?

Agreed in part on that. His job will be so much easier with Inglis, Hodges and Hannant in the side, + the experience gains of Maca, Hoffman, Yows and Gillett from this year + Kempy on the other wing.

Barring a truckload of injuries, and assuming Macca does show what he clearly is capable of, there is no reason we can't win next year - none at all. Bugger top 2. It's all the way Jose.

We should have been in the top 2 this year anyway on the form we were showing before the inexplicable nose dive over the last month.

Looks like a good team, but we will still have the same problems as this year in the front row stocks and a piss weak halfback. God help us if Locky gets injured again.

Coxy said:
Well, last time we missed the finals we won it the next year. So history is on our side. [icon_lol1.
the next 2 years, and 91' was also the last time a sitting PM was dumped.

Coxy said:

I know you're not suggesting a + b will equal c in terms of that trend from back then to next year but it really highlights what an entirely different landscape we look at now with the NRL as opposed to back in the early 90's.

Back then, without the intrusions of a salary cap, the Broncos built towards that premiership. They had essentially the same team stay intact over a decent preiod leading up to 1992, and simply by dialling their determination level up a notch and adding Glen Lazarus, the Broncos realistically looked destined to be premiers from about week three that year. The team they had back then was significantly superior in most departments to nearly all others in the comp and they won 20 of 24 games en route to the premiership.

Nowadays you couldn't say that about ANY team in the league. While the salary cap keeps the playing field level, to me, its really made the competition and the teams that play in it, extremely generic. In 10 / 20 / 30 years time, will anyone be talking about the team that wins this year's comp in the same manner as the revered sides that won each year through the 80's and 90's (sorry that's as far back as my existance / league watching days stretch!) ??

I mean look at the battle for second spot on the ladder we have looming this friday night ... The Tigers vs Titans. These teams remind me of the types that were rounding out top fives / top eights from past decades. And its purely because what we watch nowadays is a watered-down, diluted product in the name of competition parity.

Back in 92' the Broncos ticked all the boxes and more in terms of a legitimate premiership team. Next season they'll have a guy touted as the club's biggest signing, but unlike in 92', the 2011 team will still have major areas of weakness and deficiency, purely because the fiscal constraints of the competition simply don't allow you to cover all bases anymore.

So, we're going to go from barely, maybe not even making the eight, to, expected top two finish?

All because we're signing Hannant, and Inglis is replacing Folau?

Okay then. Maybe some people need to lower their expectations a bit.

ningnangnong said:
So, we're going to go from barely, maybe not even making the eight, to, expected top two finish?

plus half the squad is gaining good experience from this season, but yes lowering the expectations wouldn't hurt IMO.

ningnangnong said:

Hannant is exactly what we are missing, a top notch forward, he will make a HUGE difference.
Hodges if he re-gains form is as good as any other centre in the game and will replace Folau while Inglis will be on the left hand side to give us some much needed strike power down that side while also making our right side better purely because the defence will be in two minds all the time.

Our entire team will be more experienced as well, that's a big factor.

+ Lets get serious, this year the difference between top 2 and, top 10 even, is FOUR GAMES. That's nothing, think about all the close games we could have easily won if we were slightly better, against the Tigers, Newcastle(1st), etc. I'm not expecting us to finish top 2 anyway because we aren't a team that dominates through out the season but I at least expect a top 4 finish which judging by this season is just two wins difference.

Doesn't this exact thread get made every year?

Broncos & Cowboys should be up there and in the top 4 next season.

Nashy said:
Doesn't this exact thread get made every year?

Yep. Just for you [icon_evillaugh

Top looking team on paper, but IMO it still doesn't change the problem we've had for a number of years now in the professionalism/discipline stakes, ie. Ineffective tackles, missed tackles, line speed, consistency of intensity, etc. The little things that teams like Melbourne* and now the Saints show throughout a season.

But, get it right at the end of the year with all troops on deck and clearly we'll be in with a big show.

Plus we don't know how Locky is going to play next season, he'll be another year older. If we can stay injury free we'll win the comp, I have no doubt of that.

You don't win a premiership on paper.

However I do love the look of our squad.

Likely squad...
Rohan Ahern
Scott Anderson
Kurt Baptiste
Gerard Beale
Matt Britt
Dale Copley
Mitchell Dodds
Dane Gagai
Matt Gillett
Alex Glenn
David Hala
Ben Hannant
Justin Hodges
Josh Hoffman
Ben Hunt
Greg Inglis
Denan Kemp
Nick Kenny
Kurtis Lingwoodock
Darren Lockyer
Dunamis Lui
Andrew McCullough
Josh McGuire
Corey Norman
Corey Parker
Mitch Rivett
Michael Spence
Ben Te'o
Sam Thaiday
Shane Tronc
Peter Wallace
Jharal Yow Yeh

Minus Lockyer we're fucked. The man is the centre of the club and will take 10 years to change the culture focusing on a single man

Lockyer is a vital cog, but the club isn't really built around him.

At least it hasn't been since 2007.

Big Pete said:
Lockyer is a vital cog, but the club isn't really built around him.

At least it hasn't been since 2007.

I agree. The problem is IMO that the players think it is. Perceptions determine realities.

The "Lockyer Effect" ?

Seems to really affect Wallace.

Unread

Active Now

• Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.