Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Press are reporting now what i got told months ago, nobody is in for Jake at all, even in Superleague.

Broncs should sign Matt Purcell at hooker. The game has evolved where his particular skillset of natural speed will suit the NRL and will fill the void of ruck speed and creativity that the Broncs desperately needs.

Parcell wont be coming back anytime soon, signed an extention at Hull until 2024.

I hope the poor **** can snag a deal elsewhere at least, if not I’ve got no issue keeping him on minimum wage. Rough stuff.
I agree, I think at minimum wage he's good security to have in the squad.
if you had to play him because your 9's are injury plagued he's not going to let you down. He's still relatively young, 26 this year so playing full-time in Qld cup could give him confidence for his running game evolve.

They are investing in Paix and Mozer while relying on Walters for his utility value. Sucks for Turpin but end of the day you can’t have 4 hookers in your team, he has hit his ceiling

Kevin Walters confirms he will have to jettison former captain and last year's most consistent player, Jake Turpin, to make way for his son:

“At the moment, there is nothing for Jake with us for next year unfortunately. The reality is it was going to be hard to keep Jake. We have Billy Walters and Cory Paix in our squad at the moment, so as much as you would love to keep all your players, with the salary-cap it’s difficult. ’Turps’ has played some great games for the Broncos and he is good at those little effort areas, particularly in defence, but with our roster, we don’t have any spots left for the hooker position.”​
“Turps wanted to try and get more game time at another club to secure something for next year. He felt it was hard to secure a contract somewhere else if he wasn’t playing NRL here. It never eventuated in the end, so we were happy to hang on to him and we’re happy to honour his deal for this year.”​

Newcastle football boss Peter Parr has slammed the door on him too:

“Our recruitment manager Clint Zammit tells me we have some room to move in the salary cap but we won’t be signing Jake. He is a wholehearted player but his name hasn’t been mentioned to me at all, so we have no plans to sign him.”​

No hard feelings, mate, says Ben Ikin:

“Jake is a good consistent player who is very well respected by his teammates. You can see how much he stiffens up the middle defensively when he is out there. Over time he has worked hard to get more in his game creatively. He asked for a release earlier this year, but since coming back into the side he has done a good job.”​

Again I think billy is in the side regardless of his dad at coach. He's better than paix and turpin. Who else do you pick. It's obvious that Billy who is on minimum wage will get some of turps pay for the next 2 years while mozer develops.

I'm still hoping we'll go for Simpkin or Berrell.

lol Kev is willing to slam our premiership window shut so his son can have his 15 minutes of fame. Stop talking your kid up as our future. jake and billy are on par and if one is being turfed out so should the other.

Again I think billy is in the side regardless of his dad at coach. He's better than paix and turpin. Who else do you pick. It's obvious that Billy who is on minimum wage will get some of turps pay for the next 2 years while mozer develops.
Billy would not be at the Broncos except for his father. That he's better than Paix and Turpin - which I agree with - is more a comment on our woeful depth in those critical positions (9, 14) than Billy's talent. He's the sort of player you bring in to save the day when you're crippled with injury, not the axle of your spine.

Of course, I'd be selecting him too. No argument - he's the best option we find ourselves with. But I'm not ecstatic about it, and the longer it continues the worse it looks for Kevvie.

Billy would not be at the Broncos except for his father. That he's better than Paix and Turpin - which I agree with - is more a comment on our woeful depth in those critical positions (9, 14) than Billy's talent. He's the sort of player you bring in to save the day when you're crippled with injury, not the axle of your spine.

Of course, I'd be selecting him too. No argument - he's the best option we find ourselves with. But I'm not ecstatic about it, and the longer it continues the worse it looks for Kevvie.
Who are you suggesting ?

Billy says he's too slow to chip and chase and that Turps does bare minimum in the gym.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Midean
  • bb_gun
  • Morkel
  • Sproj
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Lostboy
  • Johnny92
  • Wolfie
  • Fitzy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mr Fourex
  • Manifesto
  • HarryAllan7
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Waynesaurus
  • BroncosAlways
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Foordy
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.