Broncos won't sign Star talent

Who are you talking about?

Just in general. I was just thinking. I wonder does being a Broncos not appeal to players as much anymore and that coupled with the club seemingly lack of genuine desire to recruit players has put us in this situation.

I just don't see it. I believe (and know for a fact for some of them) that the club looked at most of the genuine stars of the game when they became available...
Folau, Inglis, Dugan, Thurston, DCE and possibly Cronk and Carney were all approached. We got Folau, missed out on Inglis because of the gnome, missed out on Dugan because he's fucking retarded, and were never a real chance of snaring any of the listed halves without actually breaking the bank and/or the cap.

Who else am I missing here?

I'm talking in general not about any specific players. As you said we weren't in with a realistic shot of getting some of these players. Is it because being a Broncos isn't as appealing as it once was our is it also that the club don't chase hard enough. Nice rant though.

It's not a rant, it's a debate. I wasn't having a go at you, but enquiring where you base your point of view, while explaining where I base mine on.

I gave all the examples I could think of about stars that became "available" on the market to cover the "general" base. I also covered which the club did chase, and why they didn't get them!
The Broncos chased hard enough up to where they could go without breaking the bank or the cap.

An argument could possibly be made for the club not being appealing enough, but I can't fault players for being loyal to their club and not preferring the Broncos.
I don't think there is a case where a player went to a different club because the Broncos didn't appeal enough, except for the Inglis saga, albeit that one was more because of an individual than the club.

Now you can choose to rebate my points with your opinions, or you can choose to act like a child, dislike my post and call it another rant...

Damn you Griffin!

tumblr_me62v0i8fc1ryw9z1o1_500.gif

Shake harder boy!

He sucks as our coach but does well for other teams, scumbag coach Griffin.

The problem is you have no idea how hard the Broncos chased and either do I. You seem to think your belief is gospel when it isn't. You are not even willing to suggest for a second the Broncos don't chase players hard enough. You've stated numerous times realistically the Broncos couldn't have done any better. I want to know realistically why haven't they been better. Is it because there is no appeal or is it because as a club we don't do enough to get deals over the line. I am asking why? Why can't we as fans demand more from the Broncos? Why can't we demand that they be able to make the big signings? The club SEEMS to be happy to pay overs for the players we have now so why can't it pay Overs to entice the top talent the club needs to be a premiership contender?

He sucks as our coach but does well for other teams, scumbag coach Griffin.

He wasn't the Melbourne head coach was he? Sounds like his job there was to scout which he did well with Smith. At the Broncos i'd imagine there is someone else who has the job of scouting players. That is the guy you should be upset at.

True, but please don't bring in facts to ruin my fist shaking.

I gave you an answer to those questions, but it apparently doesn't suit your agenda... :001_rolleyes:

I base my belief or opinion on what I know, you base yours on what you don't know... Find the differences!

Actually I do have an idea about some of them, not all. I trust my source, so I know we went to maximum cap allowance with a few of them, which wasn't enough, because they preferred to stay at their current club or had much bigger offers from other clubs. Thurston is an example where we just couldn't go any higher, Penrith had a substantially bigger offer and he stayed at the Cowboys for his family and out of loyalty. I believe (not sure) the same thing happened with DCE, Cronk and Carney (unsure we actually bid anything for the latter), all wanting to stay at their respective clubs for less money than offered elsewhere.

We got Folau and were the first choice for Dugan and Inglis. Am I missing anyone?

But hey, I'm probably just making stuff up right? Let's just bag the Broncos recruitment, because that's where it's at...

I base my belief or opinion on what I think I know, you base yours on what you don't know... Find the differences!

Proof is in the pudding. Broncos recruitment has been poor. Apparently not according to Porthoz who is obviously happy with the state of our current squad.

I also don't see how excuses matter. We failed to land the big fish ever since we missed out on Inglis. Therefore recruitment has been poor. The club even tried to get Milford over the summer but couldn't make it happen for one reason or another. This is big business and if you can't get big deals done you will struggle.

Last edited:
Proof is in the pudding. Broncos recruitment has been poor. Apparently not according to Porthoz who is obviously happy with the state of our current squad.
Please tell me where I said this?

I also don't see how excuses matter. We failed to land the big fish ever since we missed out on Inglis. Therefore recruitment has been poor. The club even tried to get Milford over the summer but couldn't make it happen for one reason or another. This is big business and if you can't get big deals done you will struggle.
What do you think the club could possibly have done to land the big fish...
Kidnap their family and force them to play for us at the salary we could offer under the cap?
Offer them a secret second contract with a much better deal?
Bring them to Brisbane and tell them planes wouldn't fly until they signed a contract with us?

I mean, what would you have done? Seriously... What?

Never heard about the Milford deal. What happened?

Please tell me where I said this?

What do you think the club could possibly have done to land the big fish...
Kidnap their family and force them to play for us at the salary we could offer under the cap?
Offer them a secret second contract with a much better deal?
Bring them to Brisbane and tell them planes wouldn't fly until they signed a contract with us?

I mean, what would you have done? Seriously... What?

Never heard about the Milford deal. What happened?

I don't understand how what I would have done is relevant? I don't even know what the club has done to try and get players to sign at the Broncos. We have had this convo before and I am over it. I never intended or even thought my original comment would end up back at this old chestnut.

Yeah I think you're going at it a little too hard Porthoz, his comment is probably just a reflection of how our current squad just doesn't look that good there's no doubt with the reputation the Broncos have that we should have done better.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Broncorob
  • Tim K
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Spooky1013
  • Sproj
  • Fozz
  • Waynesaurus
  • Xzei
  • theshed
  • The True King
  • Mr Fourex
  • Fitzy
  • broncos4life
  • BroncosAlways
  • Allo
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Bucking Beads
  • Mick_Hancock
  • FACTHUNT
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.