Bruno Cullen's last hoorah

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
"We would not sign anyone, including Greg Inglis, if it meant jeopardising the hopes of re-signing Sam Thaiday," Cullen said.

Famous last words from the worst CEO in Broncos history.

Dead set, if this turns into the same circus that the Petero affair ended in, I will be beyond disappointed with the Broncos.

I am not a Bruno fan either but what exactly is wrong with that quote? I for one am glad he said it!

Because signing Greg Inglis will jeopardise a lot of Broncos contracts.

Bannermania said:
Because signing Greg Inglis will jeopardise a lot of Broncos contracts.

Why? If we'd retained Israel Folau it'd be much the same situation.

Surely as your younger players get a bit wiser and older, they will expect larger contracts..

How can you retain everyone and please everyone with your cap being so tight?

Bannermania said:
Surely as your younger players get a bit wiser and older, they will expect larger contracts..

This has been happening since the birth of the salary cap. And signing Inglis, or re-signing Thaiday, or whatever it is that audragon is pissed off about (I still have no idea) will not change that. Players will come and go, it's inevitable, you only have to look at the amount of players we have lost over the last few years as evidence of that.

Bannermania said:

Again, Folau was set to be on $450K or thereabouts from next year if he took the option to stay. So that pressure would be there anyway.

And the Broncos will not be renewing Ashton Sims or Lagi Setu either, so there's about $300K freed up right there.
Winterstein is gone.
Locky will most likely retire at end of next season. More cap.
Hodgo's contract expires next year, and wouldn't surprise if he moves on, or is at least downgraded given the injuries he's had.

I'm pretty confident the Broncos can manage it, even if we get Inglis for $400K.

But don't you also have to restructure Inglis' contract next year? The Storm will absorb $250k for you guys this year and then you have to re-sign him.

Looking at the numbers, you guys have been fined 6 times in the past 10 years totalling $223,000. So.. I wouldn't say your cap room is comfortable at all.

Bannermania said:
But don't you also have to restructure Inglis' contract next year? The Storm will absorb $250k for you guys this year and then you have to re-sign him.

Looking at the numbers, you guys have been fined 6 times in the past 10 years totalling $223,000. So.. I wouldn't say your cap room is comfortable at all.

I think the situation here is that Inglis has accepted the Broncos' offer which is rumoured to be between $400k and $450k. However, under salary cap rules the extra that the Storm deal was has to be topped up by the Storm, to stop teams paying a shitload for a player then cutting them loose to get under the cap the next year.

So if Inglis is content with what the Broncos have offered him, then that's fine. In 2012 he'd just get the $400-$450K and whatever 3rd party deals he can find.

But at the end of next year Lockyer will most likely retire, and that will free up room for us to offer Inglis a substantial contract. And we will have already locked in a good squad including Hoffman, Glenn, Gillett, Tronc, Wallace, Te'o, Parker etc etc. We most likely won't need to make any new signings.

I don't think that will be the case, but good luck anyway.

I think you guys eventually will be forced to offload some established stars.

But that's inevitable. It's nothing new. We (and every other club in the competition) have been going through that for years. What's your point?

Coxy said:
Bannermania said:

Again, Folau was set to be on $450K or thereabouts from next year if he took the option to stay. So that pressure would be there anyway.

And the Broncos will not be renewing Ashton Sims or Lagi Setu either, so there's about $300K freed up right there.
Winterstein is gone.
Locky will most likely retire at end of next season. More cap.
Hodgo's contract expires next year, and wouldn't surprise if he moves on, or is at least downgraded given the injuries he's had.

I'm pretty confident the Broncos can manage it, even if we get Inglis for $400K.

I hope you are right because home grown old boys like Thaiday, Parker, Hodges are so important to the future of the Broncos, so much moreso then buying a game breaker like Inglis.

also don't forget there is rumoured to be a decent increase in the cap for the 2013 season when the new tv rights deal comes in

I'd say Parker and Thaiday are important. Hodges from all account, is very not in line with the Broncos culture, or image.

He goes out drinking, he had a stunt in rehab, he doesn't like to train, he's lazy on the field now days, and well... he doesn't offer anything spectacular.

We are certainly not missing him on the field like we would miss Thaiday or Parker.

Foordy said:
also don't forget there is rumoured to be a decent increase in the cap for the 3013 season when the new tv rights deal comes in

Geez, let's hope the TV rights deal has improved somewhat before 3013.

Jeba said:
Foordy said:
also don't forget there is rumoured to be a decent increase in the cap for the 3013 season when the new tv rights deal comes in

Geez, let's hope the TV rights deal has improved somewhat before 3013.

LAWLZ! By then we'll be playing all games on top of Uluru because the seas will have risen so far the rest of the country will be underwater.

Jeba said:
But that's inevitable. It's nothing new. We (and every other club in the competition) have been going through that for years. What's your point?

Just seems like most of the people around here seem convinced they will be able to keep who they want regardless of the Inglis signing.. which won't be the case.

Unread

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • Porthoz
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.