Hoffman negotiations on hold

Hoffman's not upset. You're relying on journalists reporting a manager...
I don't know, I think there's fire here. Pulled away from MOTM speech when Barba was mentioned and it isn't the first time his attitude has been questionable in relation to the signing.

Uhhmmm.....you're wrong, it is a team sport.

and as for your employment, I for one have seen, heard of and even fired them myself, employees who do not want to be team players. The team will always be greater than any one man. IMO

Hoffman's "lot" is playing on the wing for Brisbane. It's where the team needs him to play. It's still first grade ....it's not a demotion.

If the reports are true.......he is being incredibly selfish and immature.

nah, a team sport means that you play as a team and train as a team but it doesn't mean you forfeit your right to individualism. While he is contracted he has to accept his lot as a winger but he doesn't have to do that indefinitely. his contract doesn't end until the end of 2015 and all he has done is said he isn't going to commit beyond that. he is absolutely free to look elsewhere if he wants to after that. it is no different to a team deciding to not re-sign a player because there is a better option on the market.

as for the employment thing, you're talking about a separate issue. People get fired for not working as a team but that isn't what is happening here with Hoffman (or at least what the article is about). If Hoffman skips training or complains non-stop then there is a problem but there isn't an issue with looking elsewhere for a job when your contract is coming up for renewal. As an employer, if you fired an employee for considering other jobs or putting negotiations on hold when their contract was ending, you'd actually be in some serious legal trouble for wrongful dismissal.

The problem here is people are merging the idea of putting negotiations on hold with actually being a fuckwit during training and games. The second one is a huge issue, the first one is a non-issue in my opinion. Personally I think it would be better for his career and for Brisbane if he stayed and played on the wing/centre but he is entitled to do what he likes after 2015

Well said......I feel exactly the same.

Except I'm taking the opposite stance in believing where there's smoke there's fire, re: his attitude. There were reports posted here that on twitter and instagram Hoffman's account was saying his was upset and was posting little sad smiley's.........I don't know first hand, I don't bother with twitter or the other thing.

haha, mate you've got to be a little bit more critical of the media. A lifetime's worth of experience has taught me that the media is more than capable of creating smoke where no fire exists.

All I've seen in the media is unquoted comments that Hoffman 'is understood to be disappointed'. That is such an easy thing to make up (especially since if a journalist doesn't put that in the whole story is basically worthless) and it also doesn't mean much. All it really tells you is that Hoffman is human. I'm sure most players in the world would secretly love to play a glamorous position like halfback or fullback and I'm sure Hoffman is the same.

So the guy is disappointed that his career isn't going exactly as he dreamed ... big deal. Until I start hearing rumours that his disappointment is translating into him missing trainings, acting out around the club or generally being dysfunctional, I don't see how it is an issue. Hoffman is a human being. He should be allowed to have emotions and not be labelled an ungrateful merkin for having them.

Second, he wasn't posting unhappy faces on his Twitter account that weren't about something completely different. I don't know about Instagram but at this point that sounds like a suss rumour to me

He's upset. Beer brewing XXXX for awhile. He wanted out last week (posted on LU)
I can post the whatsapp conversation but i will get banned. but that's nothing new :scared:

haha, mate you've got to be a little bit more critical of the media. A lifetime's worth of experience has taught me that the media is more than capable of creating smoke where no fire exists.

There were articles last year and in 2011 (someone posted them in another thread) concerning Hoffman's "reports of bad behaviour and attitude". It seems an ongoing theme that the media have fixated on if it's a lie.

They could make up shit about any player and they'd still sell the same amount of papers ... Why the campaign against Josh Hoffman?

He's upset. Beer brewing XXXX for awhile. He wanted out last week (posted on LU)
I can post the whatsapp conversation but i will get banned. but that's nothing new :scared:

Can someone translate this

........are you talking about me?

nah, a team sport means that you play as a team and train as a team but it doesn't mean you forfeit your right to individualism. While he is contracted he has to accept his lot as a winger but he doesn't have to do that indefinitely. his contract doesn't end until the end of 2015 and all he has done is said he isn't going to commit beyond that. he is absolutely free to look elsewhere if he wants to after that. it is no different to a team deciding to not re-sign a player because there is a better option on the market.

as for the employment thing, you're talking about a separate issue. People get fired for not working as a team but that isn't what is happening here with Hoffman (or at least what the article is about). If Hoffman skips training or complains non-stop then there is a problem but there isn't an issue with looking elsewhere for a job when your contract is coming up for renewal. As an employer, if you fired an employee for considering other jobs or putting negotiations on hold when their contract was ending, you'd actually be in some serious legal trouble for wrongful dismissal.

The problem here is people are merging the idea of putting negotiations on hold with actually being a fuckwit during training and games. The second one is a huge issue, the first one is a non-issue in my opinion. Personally I think it would be better for his career and for Brisbane if he stayed and played on the wing/centre but he is entitled to do what he likes after 2015

Nah...

ooooh...he's annoyed that Barba will earn more than him. Makes sense now.

They could make up shit about any player and they'd still sell the same amount of papers ... Why the campaign against Josh Hoffman?

I dunno, I gave up trying to understand the media a while ago. An obvious reason for focussing on Hoffman is that it actually makes it seem like a story. just continually referencing their own rumours gives the story a dubious legitimacy to many reader. They'd just look like they were making shit up if they alleged discontent from a new player every couple weeks

what do you mean? He isn't allowed to look elsewhere for a contract when his current one finishes? People are allowed to weigh up their options, as an employer you should be aware of that.

So far, the most he has done is put negotiations on hold for a possible 12 month extension to his current contract (which ends in 2015). Hardly a crime.

I am sick of spoilt fucking footy players having a cry when they don't get to play their "preferred position" newsflash dickhead if my employer told me to do a different duty that was well within the bounds of my contract I would do it no questions asked, I don't think Hoffman realises how much better he is as a winger than as a fullback, the guy is a battering ram with no imagination, hence why he suits the wing because he doesn't have to think! Dickhead!

I'm actually angry reading comments from brain dead fans in the Courier Mail article saying Hoffman is a better fullback.

Commentators go nuts when he cleans up a loose ball and all of a sudden everyone thinks he's hot shit, I don't understand it.

Stick him at centre, tell him to run off Barba and he'll be top try scorer next year - if that ain't enough then he can leave.

Last edited:
His contract runs out 2015 same year as ed Rick Lee and gagai to name a few so more than happy to swap for one or both of these guys

I've noticed outside of BHQ, most people think he's a superstar fullback.

Hoffman is a solid, if at times good but other times frustrating fullback at a time when we have genuinely very good fullbacks (Stewart, Barba, Dugan,) and some great fullbacks (Slater, Inglis, Hayne). Hoffman is a few steps below these 6 and it is the correct decision to replace him with Barba.

It will be very disappointed if Barba is played anywhere other than fullback while ever he is fit to play with us next year.

I'm also surprised by the media push behind Hoffman as fullback the last month or so. My circle of league mates (mostly non bronco) would have him around 10th in the NRL, definately behind those mentioned above.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Allo
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Gaz
  • Financeguy
  • Foordy
  • sooticus
  • Skyblues87
  • Ozired
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncorob
  • Scdeac
  • lynx000
  • Sproj
  • GCBRONCO
  • broncs30
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • TimWhatley
  • pennywisealfie
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.