NEWS Matt Gillett Retires

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
We can start with consistent effort and go from there...

I think Gillett was more a more skillful player, and a guy who often seemed tireless out there, especially when his team needed something special. He just offered a lot more overall than Thaiday, who'd be good for one or two big games a year but otherwise seemed to coast, never really seemed to have the same kind of fire or determination, and got by a lot on reputation, which probably helped him earn a lot more rep jerseys then he was perhaps deserving of.

This is not to say I think Gillett would make an all-time team, but on my list he'd be well above Thaiday.

I'm not entirely sure I agree with that.

Thaiday was extremely skillful during his prime years, he became lazy and inconsistent towards the end though, as most forwards do. Gillett has been more consistent overall, I agree with that part, but Thaiday played over 100 games more for the club, won a premiership, was one of the best edge backrowers in the game for a long period of time. Recency bias seems to have soured his legacy a bit..

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
I think the only thing that will soften the blow from losing Gillo will be the long term signing of Fifita.

I do hope Gillo is able to stick around and mentor our young guys. He needs to start teaching someone the art of the charge down. No one could snatch a victory from the jaws of defeat like Gillo on a charge down. Please somone post me a highlight reel of him doing his thang.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
We can start with consistent effort and go from there...

I think Gillett was more a more skillful player, and a guy who often seemed tireless out there, especially when his team needed something special. He just offered a lot more overall than Thaiday, who'd be good for one or two big games a year but otherwise seemed to coast, never really seemed to have the same kind of fire or determination, and got by a lot on reputation, which probably helped him earn a lot more rep jerseys then he was perhaps deserving of.

This is not to say I think Gillett would make an all-time team, but on my list he'd be well above Thaiday.

Fair points but I think you might have a case of recency bias maybe. There were about five years there where Thaiday was absolutely on top of his game and just about the first backrower picked for Australia, let alone Qld and the Broncs. He went on a year or two too long and so it is easy to forget just how good he was. He could also play prop decently even though he didn't enjoy it at all.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Id rather have a fit and healthy Matt Gillett in our side next year then just more room in the cap to extend more players who quite frankly haven't earned their inflated salaries yet. If these kids coming through can have half the impact that Gillett had at our club then they will have had successful careers.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
maybe we should move the where would gillett fit into your broncos all time 17 convo into a separate thread. seems a bit in poor taste we're climbing over ourselves to downplay other legends contributions due to recency bias

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
maybe we should move the where would gillett fit into your broncos all time 17 convo into a separate thread. seems a bit in poor taste we're climbing over ourselves to downplay other legends contributions due to recency bias

Fair point but the fact that he is being spoken of in this echelon of players speaks a lot to how respected and liked he has been doesn't it?

Sirlee oldman

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
Dec 6, 2015
Where did I downplay anyone and who the **** are you to assume my opinion is less valid than yours and even give a reason like recency bias for my being wrong. The thread is about Gillett and I said I would put him on the list of Bronco greats. End of story.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Where did I downplay anyone and who the **** are you to assume my opinion is less valid than yours and even give a reason like recency bias for my being wrong. The thread is about Gillett and I said I would put him on the list of Bronco greats. End of story.
I'm not sure why this has struck such a nerve with you, I didn't mention you at all and nor did I imply that your reasoning is incorrect, just that if people are going to have the discussion it is better suited elsewhere - cause you know, it'll end up in a shitfight and the whole point of the thread will be derailed like any other thread here.

Last edited:
Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
I think people have forgotten what a weapon Sammy was in his prime.
I think it comes down to consistency vs semi-regular brilliance and what people personally value more.

Sammy had a game against the Roosters towards the end of his career where he just destroyed JWH. It was magic to watch, but I think on the whole I'd rate Gillett higher but I fully accept that's probably down to my personal preference being guys who give the same solid effort every week vs the sporadic strokes of brilliance.

Last edited:
winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Had a wonderful career and a great player for the broncos. Part me still feels he could have been a lot more with a genuine half back feeding him the ball

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
Nothing but respect for Gillett.

He always put this club first, including now. I am certain if the club asked him to play on one more season, he would.

Many different players and playing styles have played for this great club, which makes the fact he was a unique player all the more impressive.

Definitely deserves to be considered amongst the best players we’ve had.

A truly fantastic player and even though I’ve not met him, great bloke too I’d imagine.

Enjoy retirement, Matt!

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.