NEWS Matt Gillett Retires

Anyone who has Gillett in the Broncos best 25, let alone 17 is wrong lol.

Anyone who has Gillett in the Broncos best 25, let alone 17 is wrong lol.

1. Lockyer
2. Alfie
3. Tallis
4. Carroll
5. Hodges
6. Renouf
7. Sailor
8. Tuqiri
9. K.Walters
10. K.Walters
11. S.Berrigan
12. Thorn
13. Webcke
14. Civoniceva
15. Lazarus
16. Parker
17. Lewis
18. JYY
19. Thaiday
20. Gillett
21. Tate
22. Gillmeister
23. K.Hunt
24. Priddis
25. Miles

I have no doubt I am missing some huge names but boy, you are tough marker to say he wouldn't even be in the top 25.

Respect his decision and now no danger of further, worse injuries. Was a true champ in his heyday, fearless defender and great attacker... its a great pity he suffered from injury so much but will still be remembered as a champion bloke. Thank you mate for loosening up some dollars so we can try and keep our young, developing talent. Like some others I wish a couple of past-it players still at the club would follow his example.

Not many players left of that gun Queensland side.

Renouf: Broncos will miss Gillett - a player who always gave more
A player you could rely on: Renouf

Like everyone, I was disappointed to see Matt Gillett forced into an early retirement due to injury but there's no doubt he should be very proud of his legacy of being a player who always brought more.

I've loved watching Matty play over the past 10 years. He probably wasn't the biggest forward going round and didn't look like the most gifted athlete but he was a terrific footy player and he really understood the game.

For me the most important thing, and the thing his teammates would have most respected, is he was a player you could always rely on.

That's the sort of player other players are loyal towards. Whatever you thought he had to offer, that was the absolute minimum you got from him. He always found a way to bring more than you thought, never less.

He's the sort of player every other player wanted to play with because you knew he'd always give you his absolute 100%.

He was very effective in defence. He wasn't the biggest but gee he could chop blokes down.

He could read the game really well, he had a good game sense and was a natural footy player with a great footy brain. He was very god at running holes as a second-rower and had a deceptive little burst of pace when he needed it.

He just had that instinct and awareness of what was going on around him, it's hard to explain but like a peripheral vision but peripheral thinking as well. Certain players just have it and others don't.

He had the all-round game that he could have played in the centres if he wanted to. He's smart, good with his hands, could find a hole and tough in defence – he had it all.

What he's been able to achieve after starting a little bit late, coming through as a Bribie Island boy alongside Jack Reed, has been incredible.

I know Matty was very shaken up by the broken neck he suffered last year. I remember in an interview afterwards, he was speaking about it and his family and how emotional he got.

That would have played on his mind but to come back and play at the top level for the Broncos and Queensland again is a credit to him as a person and a player.

His retirement now is also a blow for Brisbane who are a bit short on experienced players in what is mostly a very good but very young pack.

Hopefully, Alex Glenn ends up staying because he's the last really experienced player in that pack right now.

Either way Matty will leave a massive hole that will be tough to fill. When you have such a young pack you need a few of those players with that age and experience guiding them which leaves a big task for Alex.

Even just in a playing sense a few of them will have to lift their work rates a bit to cover all those things Matty did on the field as well.

Lastly I just want to congratulate Matty on a fantastic career. He'll retire as a Broncos legend and you certainly don't say that about everyone but it's something he's worked hard for and he's earned it.

He showed his true colours when he was adamant that his form was good this year, there was 2-3 separate interviews where he was asked about his own form, at no point did he take any of the blame or admit he was out of form. Not sure if that means he's delusional or just genuinely doesn't care anymore, but it's likely one of those two.

Or its most likely the coach set him markers to achieve, and he met them, didn't get dropped or lose the backing of his team mates so he probably felt he was doing ok.

He showed his true colours when he was adamant that his form was good this year, there was 2-3 separate interviews where he was asked about his own form, at no point did he take any of the blame or admit he was out of form. Not sure if that means he's delusional or just genuinely doesn't care anymore, but it's likely one of those two.
Coach shouldn’t have picked him then.
What’s he going to say? I’m going like a busted why the **** haven’t I been dropped yet?
[automerge]1572512762[/automerge]
But yeah, this thread should be about Gillo only 😢

Last edited:
Gillett always surprised me, just didn't see his career coming. He did things his way in all the lead up and it just didn't seem like a long term career would or could follow.

When you have a guy saying no to NYC finals so he can play Colts for Wests, or on the wing for Redcliffe scoring 29 tries but he goes and plays for Bribie.

Then onto Norths in 2009 and he was playing 6 and won ISC rookie of the year but you still didn't say well there is a 200 game player.

It should have been all sign posts, dedicated to his team, his mates and doing any role his team needed.

The ball just seemed to bounce for him, like he was a great slip fielder. He was moving before the ball. So many big plays which were just him reading and understanding where the ball was going to end up.

His first try, backing up Winterstein, charge downs, Origin try waiting for Hodges to flick it back.

That instinct only comes if you have a great understanding of the game and you make the effort to get there.

His defence was all about effort, he missed a few but he his body was always there and taking the hit up early and ready.

Gillett always surprised me, just didn't see his career coming. He did things his way in all the lead up and it just didn't seem like a long term career would or could follow.

When you have a guy saying no to NYC finals so he can play Colts for Wests, or on the wing for Redcliffe scoring 29 tries but he goes and plays for Bribie.

Then onto Norths in 2009 and he was playing 6 and won ISC rookie of the year but you still didn't say well there is a 200 game player.

It should have been all sign posts, dedicated to his team, his mates and doing any role his team needed.

The ball just seemed to bounce for him, like he was a great slip fielder. He was moving before the ball. So many big plays which were just him reading and understanding where the ball was going to end up.

His first try, backing up Winterstein, charge downs, Origin try waiting for Hodges to flick it back.

That instinct only comes if you have a great understanding of the game and you make the effort to get there.

His defence was all about effort, he missed a few but he his body was always there and taking the hit up early and ready.

Fabulous tribute and insight into the man behind the legend. Good on you 1910, enjoyed that read. Would love to hear some more behind the scenes stories about Gillo throughout his long and winding career.

1910, Smokin Joe etc etc ?

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• Brocko
  • ChewThePhatt
  • blacknwhite
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.