Player of the Year?

Player of the year?

• Total voters
This, when we lose, I hate every one of the Broncos.

I find it very hard to like them after a defeat. That's not to say I've hated them after every defeat, but just this year alone it's very close to the truth. Hell I have been angry at half the team in our wins this year. Really Parker is about the only one who didn't get injured for long periods and performed well consistently.

1. Parker
2. Hoffman
3. McGuire
4. Hodges
5. Prince

thats about it for the year IMO. the rest can write 2013 off as a failure.

Vote for the least bad then! :001_tt2:

You often have players that despite being in a losing team, deserve praise and recognition.

Anyway, without BHQ member's votes, there is no POTS. It's as simple as that...

1. Parker
2. Hoffman
3. McGuire
4. Hodges
5. Prince

thats about it for the year IMO. the rest can write 2013 off as a failure.

That is definitely an accurate standing. I like that you put Prince in there and it really highlights how poorly our players have performed if Prince gets a mention and they don't. Prince; a player who was not wanted anywhere even though he was captain of a team the previous year.

An injury prone player who has not performed well in years and on the cusp of retirement. Yet in this team this year he stands out, it comes down to his attitude and the other players should have taken notice. Many times I saw him celebrating a try, genuinely happy for the team and the player who scared, while Thaiday walks in the other direction to line up for the kick off.

However I would put Gillett in there at say 20th or something 6-19 being reserved for cheerleaders (I have no idea how many there are so adjust the numbers as you please). Reason for Gillett is his marked improvement this year, although it's hard not to improve upon absolute shit. Mind you some of our players have gone backwards from complete shit :)

Last edited:
That is definitely an accurate standing. I like that you put Prince in there and it really highlights how poorly our players have performed if Prince gets a mention and they don't. Prince; a player who was not wanted anywhere even though he was captain of a team the previous year.

An injury prone player who has not performed well in years and on the cusp of retirement. Yet in this team this year he stands out, it comes down to his attitude and the other players should have taken notice. Many times I saw him celebrating a try, genuinely happy for the team and the player who scared, while Thaiday walks in the other direction to line up for the kick off.

However I would put Gillett in there at say 20th or something 6-19 being reserved for cheerleaders (I have no idea how many there are so adjust the numbers as you please). Reason for Gillett is his marked improvement this year, although it's hard not to improve upon absolute ****. Mind you some of our players have gone backwards from complete **** :)

Hopefully, the accuracy of your observations also shows a similar improvement

I like the idea of ranking players. Here's my rough copy.

Top Tier
Corey Parker - Has Parker made his way into the GOAT Broncos line-up yet? The figures he's been producing over the past four seasons have been superb and he's made his mark in the Origin arena where he was for my money the player of the series. At times, he probably does get more involved than he should but personally I like a player who's willing to give his all to get the team over the line as opposed to playing 'smart' and just doing their job. He's quickly making his way into the Webby category.

Second Tier - Game Breakers
2. Josh Hoffman
3. Justin Hodges
4. Matt Gillett

These are the players who have genuinely posed a threat to the opposition line but just fall short of Parker's position at the top, usually due to consistency.

Tier Three - Hot and Cold
5. Josh McGuire
6. Jack Reed
7. Sam Thaiday
8. Andrew McCullough
9. Ben Hannant
10. Alex Glenn
11. Scott Prince
12. Ben Hunt
13. Corey Oates

For the players who have had their moments but also had their shares of disappointments. The last two are interesting picks. Hunt was really firming in this position and was starting to make a last ditch effort to make the second tier but his form in the past couple of weeks has seen him JUST hold on here for me. Prince was very much in the bottom tier until his post-Origin run of form.

Forth Tier Cameos
14. David Stagg
15. Mitchell Dodds
16. Jordan Kahu
17. Dunamis Lui
18. David Hala
19. Jake Granville
20. Lama Tasi
21. Jarrod Wallace
22. Scott Anderson
23. Nick Slyney
24. Jordan Drew
25. Aaron Whitchurch

This is a difficult category to define but it's for the players who didn't receive a lot of game-time to really make THAT much of an impact. Sort of one game wonders or players who came up with a good play or two in the game.

Bottom Tier
26. Peter Wallace
27. Corey Norman
28. Lachlan Maranta

For the players who received plenty of gametime and ended up being disappointments. You could argue I'm being tough on Pete and Norman but the fact they were demoted to the bench and QCup respectively I feel illustrates my point. The most you can say about Maranta is that he's become a punchline this season.

Last edited:
Great post Big Pete, that is a really good summary of the season

One can only hope, thanks for your input.

I really appreciate your calm and thoughtful reply to my rather pointed post - thanks

As a Gillett fan boy, he's the next best thing to my iPhone :loool:

I like the idea of ranking players. Here's my rough copy.

Top Tier
Corey Parker - Has Parker made his way into the GOAT Broncos line-up yet? The figures he's been producing over the past four seasons have been superb and he's made his mark in the Origin arena where he was for my money the player of the series. At times, he probably does get more involved than he should but personally I like a player who's willing to give his all to get the team over the line as opposed to playing 'smart' and just doing their job. He's quickly making his way into the Webby category.

Second Tier - Game Breakers
2. Josh Hoffman
3. Justin Hodges
4. Matt Gillett

These are the players who have genuinely posed a threat to the opposition line but just fall short of Parker's position at the top, usually due to consistency.

Tier Three - Hot and Cold
5. Josh McGuire
6. Jack Reed
7. Sam Thaiday
8. Andrew McCullough
9. Ben Hannant
10. Alex Glenn
11. Scott Prince
12. Ben Hunt
13. Corey Oates

For the players who have had their moments but also had their shares of disappointments. The last two are interesting picks. Hunt was really firming in this position and was starting to make a last ditch effort to make the second tier but his form in the past couple of weeks has seen him JUST hold on here for me. Prince was very much in the bottom tier until his post-Origin run of form.

Forth Tier Cameos
14. David Stagg
15. Mitchell Dodds
16. Jordan Kahu
17. Dunamis Lui
18. David Hala
19. Jake Granville
20. Lama Tasi
21. Jarrod Wallace
22. Scott Anderson
23. Nick Slyney
24. Jordan Drew
25. Aaron Whitchurch

This is a difficult category to define but it's for the players who didn't receive a lot of game-time to really make THAT much of an impact. Sort of one game wonders or players who came up with a good play or two in the game.

Bottom Tier
26. Peter Wallace
27. Corey Norman
28. Lachlan Maranta

For the players who received plenty of gametime and ended up being disappointments. You could argue I'm being tough on Pete and Norman but the fact they were demoted to the bench and QCup respectively I feel illustrates my point. The most you can say about Maranta is that he's become a punchline this season.

Well Pete, I have misgivings about the status you give Parker, only to the extent that he seems unable to see beyond his immediate patch of turf. He lacks vision for mine which is what puts a player in the top tier.

As one example, he infuriatingly still keeps turning it into the middle way too often, without regard for the flow of the play. Too often, it results in him taking a tackle when the edges are open for some creative passing. However, in terms of heart and soul, and work ethic, yes, he is at the top of those trees for sure.

I also can't agree that Hoffman is a game breaker at all. He is a 1st class winger, but a game breaker for mine is someone who can do it on his own. Hoffman to me has shown very clearly that he can't. He finishes extremely well AS A WINGER, but that is not breaking a game open IMO. It's one thing - and a crucial one, to finish something, but it is more important to create the opportunity

Hoffman for mine is not at that level.

Jack Reed for mine is a game breaker. He just needs a good set of halves. His work with Gillett looks like a serious combination for next year, assuming Hunt (or whoever is half on Gillett's side of the park) keeps looking for him.

Other than that, I agree with you ... and a great post.

Fair points rna.

If I'm reading this right, you basically agree with my positioning as Parker but don't agree with the gushing? The latter was more or less a time and place thing, I could point out of his negatives, but why would I when I'm justifying his pick as the best player? I'd rather be positive than to just promote hate.

On Hoffman, I believe you're reading too much into my gamebreakers tag. The idea was just to give the second-tier a nice little tag and Hoffman has been one of our better players with the footy this year. His rank has more to do with consistensy than anything else in that he's been consistently good across the entire season which is more than what you can say for the rest like...

Jack Reed who has his shares of ups and downs. I thought last week was the perfect illustration of a typical Reed game really.

I agree with "the gushing" - I think without Parker = without Lockyer. My take on Parker is that he focuses the team by his presence and his work ethic. Parker in many ways is the Broncos.

If Hasler had him e.g. I think Corey would leave James Graham for dead

Overall, I think the real issue is that all our roster would be moved up a level if they had a coach who would maximize their skill sets and talent instead of imposing his own outdated and outmoded style

I firmly believe that under Griffin, all our players have gone backwards

I really appreciate your calm and thoughtful reply to my rather pointed post - thanks

As a Gillett fan boy, he's the next best thing to my iPhone :loool:

Strangely enough I'm a fan of Gillett. My disappointment over his performance has been a real downer for me and no doubt I exaggerated a little. His performance after his first break out year has been terrible when compared to his first year. I really thought after his first year he would go on to become a superstar but it hasn't happened. I just hope he can get back to his best form because it was sensational.

My favourite player is Hodges first (yes he's fragile and overrated in the qld team) but I still cannot help but like him. Gillett is up there as my second favourite along with McGuire. Luckily for me McGuire despite his injuries is performing well. I hope to hell he never stops because that would be my all favourite players under performing.

Good post Pete, although I think Hodges has to be a top tier player, sure he gets injured but he's basically always best back on field when he does play.

How was Hodges not an option, Parker a clear first but Hodges was our best back by miles.

I would also have Hodges in top tier with Parker, but I understand Pete putting him in second tier based on the lack of consistency. Hodges is prone to poor games, where his lack of defence stands out, and probably does have more bad games than Parker. Still, Hodges is unstoppable and our most dangerous player when on song.

Hodges came close but missing ten games hurt him. May have overlooked that but then there were games where he rushed back and he was really below par. That game against the Warriors in NZ in particular...

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Organix
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.