vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maranta must be I injured but it's interesting Vidot was chosen over Oates. I like it, I hope it means Daniel has been working hard & Bennett is rewarding him.

I have been working on the assumption that Parker hasn't been playing 80 this year as Bennett wants to leave something in his tank for a big late-season surge. Resting him after Origin and his big effort against Canberra is a good call IMO. Does it mean his next game is Origin?

I don't get the hate about booing. I don't know anything about his past but if you aim any sort of celebration towards opposition fans after scoring against their team they will boo you. Black, white, purple, orange or rainbow coloured!

It was the indigenous round, he scored and did a war dance towards the Blues fans. It was a celebration of being indigenous during the round that was designed to celebrate that very thing. Problem was after the game where the general public didn't like it because apparently a Aborginal dance during the indigenous round isn't called for.

Blues' fans went a bit crazy- why who knows. Barba did the same thing on Saturday for the Jets- no issue.

Last edited:
Happy to see Parcell get another game. He didn't do a great deal last week but he looks a slick character and with a bit more time on the field he might be able to show us a few things.

He played 27 minutes, barring injury you're not doing much better than that. He made 22 tackles in that time and only missed one.

The Adam Goodes story is one of the biggest non-issues in Australian sport and I feel like everybody is going out of their way to get offended one way or another.

On one hand, I don't mind Goodesy doing the war-dance since it adds theatre to the sport. However, to pretend like it's the goanna is very naive and you've got to expect some boos and jeers.

On the other hand, there are fans that do take it too far and get racially abusive for one reason or another and that isn't on.

I'm surprised Maranta has been dropped. I would have been happy about this a few weeks ago, but I think this is actually really harsh.

The only thing I can think of is WB is having doubts about releasing Vidot and wants to assess him a final time. To be fair, that's the reason Maranta started the year ahead of Vidot, so I guess it's working both ways.

Funny how Maranta is the only Bronco in the top 20 try scorers this year with 7, while Maranta and Reed are the only 2 in the top 20 line breaks - our 2 most popular players.

NRL Player Stats - The Score

(Also another 2 faves, Macca and Gillett, the only 2 Broncos in the top 20 tacklers: Macca 1st with 625 tackles and Gillett 14th with 429)

Last edited:
I'm surprised Maranta has been dropped. I would have been happy about this a few weeks ago, but I think this is actually really harsh.

The only thing I can think of is WB is having doubts about releasing Vidot and wants to assess him a final time. To be fair, that's the reason Maranta started the year ahead of Vidot, so I guess it's working both ways.

If Vidot is in the side, he's less likely to want to leave. If we can keep him until June 30, he's ours for the rest of the year, since that's the date that clubs have to finalise their lists by.

Maranta has really just been going up and up (even if it is fairly gradually). Surprised that he'd be dropped now.

Having said that, I don't think Vidot was bad either. He only made 1 error, but it was a simple one though, and you kinda expect it with him.

It was the indigenous round, he scored and did a war dance towards the Blues fans. It was a celebration of being indigenous during the round that was designed to celebrate that very thing. Problem was after the game where the general public didn't like it because apparently a Aborginal dance during the indigenous round isn't called for.

Blues' fans went a bit crazy- why who knows. Barba did the same thing on Saturday for the Jets- no issue.

The cultural source isn't offensive. Adam Goodes is using everything he is and does as a political soapbox. Absolutely there are issues that need addressing and he is well within his rights to give them the public voice they can need. But he's going about it the wrong way. People are going to keep hearing him cause 'controversy' and write him off as another Mundine-'coz-racist-Australia' annoyance. And no I'm not dismissing racism as an issue. It's a thing now, it'll be a thing still in 50 years time.

Inglis's 'goanna' (which I think probably wasn't even planned the first time he did it) for example and pretty much every time someone does something at the All-Stars game or the indigenous rounds are harmless, enjoyable and still shows pride in their heritage.

But Goodes was confrontational and trying to provoke a reaction for him to make out to be a victim of crowd racism. Leigh Matthews summed it up by simply saying 'Do not run towards the boundary to incite opposition fans'.

Also, you're a professional sportsman. If you can't handle being booed without feeling the need to react in such a way, retire and start your political career we know you'll have.

I think if he is not in the side it is because of one or two reasons. Firstly and most likely he is not quite over the injury he picked up when run down from behind or he is fit and is just part of a rotational thing that WB has in his mind. Keeping everyone hungry so to speak.

I really hope Oates gets some decent minutes, he never disappoints. Runs excellent lines, has huge impact with his hit-ups and more than holds his own. I am not sure about the Vidot selection, he is certainly not as safe as Maranta, his metres are invaluable and lay the foundation for each of our sets - I don't think Maranta was dropped for poor form as he is improving every game. I think we can win this one either without Parker. If our defense is switched on we should win comfortably.

Wonder what the plan is for this game, a bit of shuffling going on.

No Parker will be huge but it forces everyone else to step up again.

"I went from school to play colts and this is my fourth season in Queensland Cup. I didn’t play [under]-20s and wasn’t with an NRL club until this year.
"Players shouldn’t give up if they don’t make 20s, there's other ways to go around it."

Parcell looking to deliver for Broncos - NRL.com

Parcell clearly doesn't understand that the ISC taught him nothing and it only produces rubbish players.

Day off today from training.

The last time Bennett beat Manly at Suncorp...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a new poster, but have been a reader for awhile and enjoy most of the chatter. First Grader, are you being ironic here? I follow the QCup a bit, I would have thought it has produced some fine players, arguably more than the U20's comp. I've watched Parcell pretty closely, I think the QCup has developed him physically very well, to the point where he was able to defend very well against a big Canberra pack. Compare that to perhaps the defensive efforts of a young Ash Taylor on the weekend against a mature Jets forward pack where he was run over several times, and I'm not bagging Ash Taylor, I just think its the difference between playing against kids your age, and playing against men. 2-3 years steels them for the NRL, in my opinion.

DCE will be backflipping from his GC deal today.

Things just got a lot harder for Brisbane even if he doesn't play on friday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• rnabokov
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.