The McKinnon incident debate

Re: Round 3 Discussion

He ducked his head because he [mistakenly] thought it was the best way to position himself after being lifted. True, he doesn't end up in that position if he doesn't duck, but he doesn't duck if he's not put past the horizontal.

Hopefully the guy will be okay. Apparently he is at the emergency room and WB wouldn't confirm if he was able to move his arms and legs.

It looked to me like the tackle started to go bad once he ducked his head, before that he would have just ended up landing on his chest but as soon as he ducked his head his weight tipped.

Was it just me, or did Cameron Smith show no compassion.

He said to the ref, if he doesn't duck his head it wouldn't have happened.

Not just you mate. I was pretty disgusted by the way smith handled the whole thing. I guy can't move on the ground and his first reaction is to make sure they don't get a penalty? Really low IMO and I expect more from the Australian and qld captain. Locky would have never handled it like that

I never needed a reason to hate Smith but he's given me another one, thanks for the clips Aro, looks awful and I really hope he's okay.

I've actually listened to it again and I don't think there was anything wrong with the Smith interview, he was just out of breath so was speaking a little fast but I thought he handled it well enough. It's just a real shit situation.

Smith should have been more concerned about his timing of the argument...it wasn't good PR at all but his first instincts as captain is to defend his team mate.

I actually agree with what he was saying to an extent. It wasn't a bad tackle, in years gone by, it would have been applauded but a definite penalty in today's game. I just think Cam should have bottled it for the judiciary.

Knights weren't that bad really. Lots of ifs and buts, mostly centred around their #9 Kidley.

Smith should have been more concerned about his timing of the argument...it wasn't good PR at all but his first instincts as captain is to defend his team mate.

I actually agree with what he was saying to an extent. It wasn't a bad tackle, in years gone by, it would have been applauded but a definite penalty in today's game. I just think Cam should have bottled it for the judiciary.

Knights weren't that bad really. Lots of ifs and buts, mostly centred around their #9 Kidley.

If anything I think Smith was trying to back up his own player so he wouldn't be made out to be a dirty player. The way people have gone on about this on twitter, with their Storm agendas is not called for. Imagine how guilty the guy feels now? It's not like they're cheering for it and high fiving each other afterwards. Afterwards the Knights got a little bit dirty themselves.

If anything I think Smith was trying to back up his own player so he wouldn't be made out to be a dirty player. The way people have gone on about this on twitter, with their Storm agendas is not called for. Imagine how guilty the guy feels now? It's not like they're cheering for it and high fiving each other afterwards. Afterwards the Knights got a little bit dirty themselves.

End of the day a bloke is on the ground unable to move and his only concern is it being known that he contributed to it. It lacked compassion and class and as the captain of everything he should have acted differently, it's as simple as that as far as i'm concerned.

It looked to me like the tackle started to go bad once he ducked his head, before that he would have just ended up landing on his chest but as soon as he ducked his head his weight tipped.

It started to go bad when the Storm player had his hands between McKinnon's legs. (which is against the rules)

Did anyone else see Dane Gagais spear tackle and there was another one before this one happened. Maybe the game got a little spiteful. When I watch a replay I'll try find it again.

It started to go bad when the Storm player had his hands between McKinnon's legs. (which is against the rules)

This is 100% right and im not sure why everyone is forgetting this. Yes, ducking his head contributed to it but the point is that it shouldn't matter because he shouldnt be in that position, that's why the rules are in place.

This is 100% right and im not sure why everyone is forgetting this. Yes, ducking his head contributed to it but the point is that it shouldn't matter because he shouldnt be in that position, that's why the rules are in place.

The one positive to come out of this is that you'd hope you no longer see any Inglis Duck Dive incidents where they milk it. It's a shame it took someone to literally break their neck for that to happen.

Created this thread to discuss the Alex McKinnon incident, and separate it from Aeetee's well wishes thread.

I agree with most that Alex contributed to this, and to be honest, as far as spear tackles go, it was a pretty mild one, were it not for the terrible result. I wouldn't want to be in the shoes of any of the players that contributed to it, not so much worrying about consequences to them (I really hope the MRC and Judiciary aren't going to knee-jerk on this), but I would seriously be devastated if I knew my actions have (partially) led to such an injury to a player!

Re Cam Smith's declarations. I understand his concern was to defend/protect his player, which is why he probably talked the way he did. I don't (want to) believe the captain of a club/state/country would be unaffected by what happened in Melbourne!

The sign that he can't move his legs is bad and I hope it isn't as bad as what it looks. Hope the bloke recovers and makes a full recovery.

We all love Smith and what he has done for our great state but he really could have handled this better. I hope it comes out in the next few weeks that the Melbourne team have made a personal visit to see Alex as that would be the right thing to do.

Nothing in the tackle, noone deserves a suspension. Accidents happen, and McKinnons actions unfortunately were mostly to blame for the outcome.

Reports are the Drs have put him in a induced coma to try & reduce the swelling around the vertebrae.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.