The McKinnon incident debate

As soon as a player puts their hands between a ball carriers legs, the refs should call call held immediately, if the player continues to lift then a penalty is blown.

We need to prevent players being lifted using this method in the first place. The physics of a heavy upper body being tilted at the hip (pivot point) only leads to one outcome.

His spine is not severed but at this stage the Drs are uncertain on how much trauma was caused to the spine.

I agree with most on here, it's a shit situation. He was lifted with one hand between his legs, clearly illegal but the injury was so much of his own making. I think he may have been looking to roll out of the tackle on ground contact but because there were 3 players in the tackle he couldn't.

It's not a good sign that he couldn't move his left arm or control his right, the poor bastard knew straight away he was in big trouble.
It has been confirmed he has suffered a serious spinal injury from which he may not recover.

No Cookies | thetelegraph.com.au

It's an illegal tackle, it's as simple as that. Yes his ducking most likely contributed to it but it's an illegal tackle so it makes no difference. He made a split second decision to try and help the situation but he was illegally put in that situation. End of story IMHO

As soon as a player puts their hands between a ball carriers legs, the refs should call call held immediately, if the player continues to lift then a penalty is blown.

We need to prevent players being lifted using this method in the first place. The physics of a heavy upper body being tilted at the hip (pivot point) only leads to one outcome.

I thought it already was illegal to lift with an arm between an attackers legs already.

I reckon that'd just encourage more dangerous scenarios. Players like Taumalolo or Inglis run hard and coaches would tell players to deliberately put hands between the legs to incite a held call.

There was no need for him to duck his head anyway?

It was an instinctive reaction to try and protect himself, from a situation he shouldn't have legally been in.

Why are we trying to blame the victim?

What does requesting leave from the judiciary actually mean? That he gets to play until a decision is made?

If he doesn't duck his head he lands on his chest and I doubt there would have even been a penalty blown for it, to me it seems that the tackle is alright until he ducks his head.

If he doesn't duck his head he lands on his chest and I doubt there would have even been a penalty blown for it, to me it seems that the tackle is alright until he ducks his head.

The tackle stops being legal when McLean puts his hands between mckinnons legs and lifts. That's the rules, that's what makes it a spear tackle. What McKinnon does with his head is completely irrelevant to whether or not that tackle is legal.

The tackle stops being legal when McLean puts his hands between mckinnons legs and lifts. That's the rules, that's what makes it a spear tackle. What McKinnon does with his head is completely irrelevant to whether or not that tackle is legal.

I'm not saying it was a legal tackle but I have seen tackles like it end up without injury and no penalty blown, what I am saying is if Mckinnon doesn't duck his head he lands on his chest and never ends up in a dangerous position.

But he did duck his head.

And that's why he ended up in that position. I honestly have no idea why he did duck his head, as a forward your job is to get to elbows and knees for a quick play the ball and he would've been able to do that in this tackle.

I reckon that'd just encourage more dangerous scenarios. Players like Taumalolo or Inglis run hard and coaches would tell players to deliberately put hands between the legs to incite a held call.
Sorry I should clarify that I meant with the intent to lift.

The Newcastle Knights have confirmed that Alex McKinnon has suffered a “devastating spinal injury” following scans on Tuesday afternoon.

The 22-year-old McKinnon underwent surgery and was placed in an induced coma on Tuesday, the morning after he was stretchered off AAMI Park having fallen awkwardly in a three-man tackle in the NRL match against the Melbourne Storm.

Newcastle released a statement confirming a dislocation of the C4 and C5 veterbrae.

“McKinnon had emergency surgery early on Tuesday morning to stabilise his neck, which consisted of a disc removal at C4 and C5 and anterior fusion.

“Alex had additional scans on Tuesday afternoon, which confirmed a devastating spinal injury.

“Alex remains in hospital in intensive care and may require further surgery to stabilise his spine.”

“He has movement in his right arm and the uncertainty remains in regeneration, with a variable prognosis.

“The doctors explained regeneration and recovery could be up to two years.

Knights say Alex McKinnon has suffered a ?devastating spinal injury? - recovery could take two years | News.com.au

Last edited:
What does requesting leave from the judiciary actually mean? That he gets to play until a decision is made?

The Storm have stood him down. (which I think they have to do)

They deferred his judiciary appearance due to privacy to his family & I think the injury.

And that's why he ended up in that position. I honestly have no idea why he did duck his head, as a forward your job is to get to elbows and knees for a quick play the ball and he would've been able to do that in this tackle.

It doesn't matter if you know why he ducked his head. He made a mistake in the split second when he saw the ground approaching, the point is he shouldn't have been in that situation so whatever the decision he made is irrelevant.

The Storm have stood him down. (which I think they have to do)

They deferred his judiciary appearance due to privacy to his family & I think the injury.

Apparently the NRL have ordered the storm to stand him down but they have still named him, which would suggest they are going to appeal the NRLs decision

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.