The McKinnon incident debate

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Apparently McKinnon can't feel his legs, according to ABC Grandstand.

Re: Round 3 Discussion

I'm guessing Smith will cop some flak for what he said.

Melbourne skipper Cameron Smith protested that the tackle was made worse by McKinnon ducking his head.

"I don't want to see that happen to anyone in our game but if he doesn't duck his head it doesn't happen," Smith told the referee.

Melbourne skipper Cameron Smith protested that the tackle was made worse by McKinnon ducking his head.

"I don't want to see that happen to anyone in our game but if he doesn't duck his head it doesn't happen," Smith told the referee.

because it came from the mouth of a Queenslander it's going to be world war 10 in Sydney re this...

Greg 'poodle' Ritchie and James 'smug' Hooper will be all over it

Last edited:

Smith was right, if he didn't duck his head he lands on his side. There's absolutely no doubt about that. Twitter was going crazy with all the Storm thuggery agendas tonight. It was ridiculous. In saying that I hope the kid is ok.

Smith was right, if he didn't duck his head he lands on his side. There's absolutely no doubt about that. Twitter was going crazy with all the Storm thuggery agendas tonight. It was ridiculous. In saying that I hope the kid is ok.

Regardless of what McKinnon did if the Storm didn't lift and tip he wouldn't have been put in a dangerous position.

He is right but I question his timing in regards to that. The ref was not going to change his mind no matter what Smith said.

...and what Beads said as well. His comments were, for lack of a better word, pointless.

Last edited:

Anyone got footage of this tackle?

Tee posted a pic on his facebook

He ducked his head because he [mistakenly] thought it was the best way to position himself after being lifted. True, he doesn't end up in that position if he doesn't duck, but he doesn't duck if he's not put past the horizontal.

Hopefully the guy will be okay. Apparently he is at the emergency room and WB wouldn't confirm if he was able to move his arms and legs.

I am hoping that's not his career over. Such a promising future this guy has and he is only 22..

Anyone got footage of this tackle?

You can see his reaction at about 14 seconds in and in all honestly it looks a bit worrying. It looks to me like he's trying to move his hand to take his mouthguard out but isn't able to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Didn't look good and his actions on the ground are very concerning. As someone else said it definitely looks like he is trying to move but nothing below his neck will move. That's horrifying

Knights posted an update:

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2014/03/24/injury_update_alex_mckinnon.html said:
Alex McKinnon was taken to hospital for scans following a neck injury in Monday night’s game.The Club will provide a further update as soon as there is additional information available – however that isn’t expected until Tuesday.

Alex’s family have been and will continue to be in constant contact with Club officials.

Club officials remain with Alex in hospital.

The Club thanks everyone for their well wishes.

The lack of any good news in that statement is rather concerning.

Was it just me, or did Cameron Smith show no compassion.

He said to the ref, if he doesn't duck his head it wouldn't have happened.

Apparently McKinnon can't feel his legs, according to ABC Grandstand.

This the same ABC Grandstand that said a Broncos player almost decapitated a player a few years ago, the tackle wouldn't have bruised a grape.

Hopefully the guy will be okay. Apparently he is at the emergency room and WB wouldn't confirm if he was able to move his arms and legs.

I thought he was moving his arms, but nothing below his arms.

One of the Knights players mouthed oh ****.

Cam Smith interviewed after the game...

https://soundcloud.com/triple-m-nrl...ndcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=twitter

No compassion what so ever.

He was talking matter of factly. No emotion at all.

Last edited:

The tackle looked bad, but it wasn't imo that bad a tackle. When you have 3 players who aren't working together in a tackle that can happen - McKinnon didn't help the cause by tucking his chin to his chest... that's just going to make you tip over quicker.

Praying he is ok though, never want to see that kind of stuff.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Fatboy
  • Stix
  • Brocko
  • TimWhatley
  • lynx000
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Culhwch
  • Pablo
  • Battler
  • Bucking Beads
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • theshed
  • Foordy
  • Scdeac
  • Jedhead
  • broncos4life
  • FACTHUNT
  • Aldo
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.