Vale Reg Gasnier

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but Reg Gasnier passed away last Sunday:

Reg Gasnier: The best there's ever been - NRL.com

I saw him play live and of course on film - for mine, the greatest centre of them all.

It's worth having a look at the footage on nrl.com - just sheer brilliance and, interestingly, Gasnier reminded me a lot of the Pearl.

Anyway, Vale Reg Gasnier, you inspired me to play league. Rest in Peace.

Incredibly jealous you got to see Reg live rna.

A champion player who by all reports was a great bloke too. Scored something like 127 tries in 125 games of first grade and was arguably the star player of that champion Dragons outfit that would have to rank right up there as one of the best teams in the history of the code.

To achieve everything he did and retire at a relatively young age (28) really shows how great he was.

Incredibly jealous you got to see Reg live rna.

A champion player who by all reports was a great bloke too. Scored something like 127 tries in 125 games of first grade and was arguably the star player of that champion Dragons outfit that would have to rank right up there as one of the best teams in the history of the code.

To achieve everything he did and retire at a relatively young age (28) really shows how great he was.

Well Pete, I guess a few extra years does have some benefits. Some mind you...

At the same time, I missed out on the priviliege of watching the Pearl play live. From what I can tell, there wasn't too much difference between them.

I was always raised with an appreciation for Reg with my adopted father playing dodgy tapes to me after junior footy on Saturdays to show me what I should be doing as a centre. I remember him drawing up diagrams/mudmaps of lines that Reg ran and positional awareness of defensive lines and outside runners. Taught me more than I could ever achieve. Pure magic.

Well Mr S, pure magic was right.

Funny about you learning the ropes as a centre 'cos my coach did the same thing for me when I played centre!

I wonder if we might persuade Hook to do the same for and with Reed?

I had posted this in the NRL discussion thread.

RIP to an all time legend and one of the games greatest

Active Now

• Maroon4life
  • maddo
  • Lostboy
  • Brotherdu
  • mitch222
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Scdeac
  • MrMoore
  • Foordy
  • Johnny92
  • Skathen
  • Financeguy
  • Broncorob
  • RolledOates
  • HarryAllan7
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.