Your QLD team

I assume you mean wingers since you mentioned JYY. I dont see Gagai or Chambers being long term wingers at all, they are only there because of necessity right now. Lee has shown nothing at all to suggest he will ever make it into the QLD team. For a while O'niell got scarily close to selection but thankfully missed out, hes no good IMO. Folau looks good too, but im not sure hes much of a winger, only playing there coz the eels were short. Moga is more of a centre too.

Holmes has shown he can handle wing so far, although a fullback in nature i think he could do.
I think Feldt may one day be good enough, but at the moment he has poor hands.

We really do have a massive lack of wingers, both in brisbane and for QLD. NSW has guys like Johnson, Mansour, Morris and even Reece Robinson in great form.

Just outside backs in general really. When it comes to Origin, I feel like most guys who play in the backline can play anywhere in it as a reasonable level. And if they can't, they probably aren't Origin worthy.

Lillyman did well enough last year to be retained.

At this stage and considering what he's been showing, I'd dump DCE in favour of Hunt or (preferably) Segs.

1. Slater
2. Chambers (Boyd)
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Gagai
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Myles
11. Guerra
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Gillett
15. Lillyman
16. Papalii
17. McGuire

Chambers and Gagai are our likely heirs apparent in the centres. Both have speed to burn and will be better for a year or twos apprenticeship on the wing. I am assuming Boyd is unavailable given his return from injury is still pending.

Rest of the 13 picks itself. I don't buy into the theory that GI deserves the #1 over Slater. Billy has lost a yard of pace but his smarts, defensive positioning and support play are still the best in the business. Greg is a brute on his kick returns but other than that I think we're stronger with Slater at the back.

Deliberated a bit on the bench. Not sure we need to carry a utility, though I'd we did I'd opt for Segeyaro, Hunt then DCE (in that order). I don't think the team requires it, so an inclusion would be purely for the purpose of a succession plan.

McGuire would thrive in this arena. Hard runner, heavy hitter, bit of mongrel, big motor and no quit in him. I hope Mal agrees, his time has come.

Lillyman is a good meat and potatos prop, reliable and experienced. Daresay he's been unlucky to be a fringe selection these last few years.

Gillett is still a bit soft for my liking at origin level. Dynamic player but I wish he could dig deep and find a bit of a mean streak in there. If we still had Teo, I'd opt for his inclusion, purely for the mongrel factor. I do like that he has some utility value though.

Papalii could stand to lose some weight I think. His form seems to have plateaued these last two years, but I maintain hope he'll come good.

Taylor 18th man, for lack of other options.

McQueen can **** right off.

Last edited:
Hodges & Thaiday are certainties as long as they're not retired, regardless of form, because it's origin and they always step up when needed.

Hodges & Thaiday are certainties as long as they're not retired, regardless of form, because it's origin and they always step up when needed.

Agreed. They're both getting long in the tooth though. Daresay this should be Hodges' swansong. A couple more for Thaiday if he can maintain his form at that level.

Taylor 18th man, for lack of other options.

That idiot puts us under so much pressure whenever he's been picked, Mal came out and said he couldn't be trusted yet he ended up getting a last chance and burnt everyone again.

Segeyaro needs to be brought into the fold.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Slater
2. Boyd/Gagai
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Chambers
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Myles
11. Gillett
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Cherry-Evans
15. Guerra
16. Napa
17. McGuire

Segeyaro must be picked off the bench IMO. Too dynamic to leave out. Cronk beats out DCE and McQueen offers nothing with Guerra in the team and I'd rather have some agression on the bench. I think Thaiday has been strong off the bench for the Broncs so I'm picking him for the same reason.

1. Inglis
2. Slater
3. Chambers
4. Hodges
5. Gagai
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Myles
11. Guerra
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Segeyaro
15. Thaiday
16. Papalii
17. McGuire

Assuming both Boyd and Hodges are not picked / unfit.. who gets the spare backline spot?

1. Slater
2. Chambers / Gagai
3. Inglis
4. Chambers / Gagai
5. ??

Copley - I really dont think he is ready. Hasnt had a great year so far.
Lee - Been very, very ordinary
Maranta - Surely not.. please no... but it does reminds me of the Adam Mogg selection years back which worked wonders
Holmes - going well so far this year
Morgan - untested on the wing
O'Neill - Has been ordinary this year, dropped from the cowboys side at least once
Moses MBye - Has good utility value and has been pretty good for bulldogs in both centres, halves and off the bench

I think O'Neill takes the other wing, Gagai on the wing and Chambers at centre.

O'Neill and Chambers in the side because of the big 3.

O'Neill has been ordinary, but I think the big 3 could get the best out of him. He is still a good finisher, just been average defensively..

Last edited:
Maybe Holmes but I tend to think John Folau.

Probably should be pointed out that Slater is currently injured too so it may also be fullback we need to replace.

John Folau and V Holmes have been very good, based on form you would have to pick them infront of Copley, O'Neil, Oates ect...if Hodges is stuck in the right centre position and doesn't do any roaming I believe Gagai would be a better option with Chambers and one of Folau and Holmes on the wing. Hodges injury/fitness so far coming back is a bit of a concern tbh. I think the utility 'battle' should be between Hunt and Segs, the only reason Hunt is a better option then Segyaro based on form atm is that he covers both halves and hooker effectively. McGuire has to be picked, cut the bullshit Mal. If I had it my way Myles would be coming of the bench and McGuire starting...

1. Billy Slater
2. Valentine Holmes/John Folau
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges/Dane Gagai (if not then to the wing)
5. Will Chambers
6. Jonathon Thurston
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Matt Scott
9. Cameron Smith
10. Nate Myles
11. Sam Thaiday
12. Aidan Guerra
13. Corey Parker

14. James Segyaro
15. Josh McGuire
16. Josh Papalii/Matt Gillett
17. Jacob Lilyman

Last edited:
I feel Corey Oates should be in the running for a wing spot. Unlike a lot of the other options, he has never really been terrible in that position. I think he would fit in well this year.

I think Oates would handle a wing spot if needed, but I also don't want it to happen because it's going to put the spotlight on him and potentially have more clubs wanting him.

Holmes and Folau? wow the Maroons would be scrapping the bottom of the barrel if 2 rookies with barely any first grade experience behind them would be the front line candidates.

If I was a Queensland fan I would much prefer Copley or Oates or even Vidot over Holmes and Folau.

Holmes and Folau? wow the Maroons would be scrapping the bottom of the barrel if 2 rookies with barely any first grade experience behind them would be the front line candidates.

If I was a Queensland fan I would much prefer Copley or Oates or even Vidot over Holmes and Folau.
It's a nice barrel though, full of success.

On a serious note, no way does Vidot get a run in origin, he has too many bonehead mistakes to be trusted at that level, he proved that against St George, in origin if he made the same mistakes not only would he also cost us the game, he would be hammered by every paper and everyone in the media, for his sake I hope that doesn't happen. Oates yes. Copley on the wing, no.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Justwin
  • Jedhead
  • Xzei
  • BruiserMk1
  • broncotville
  • Fitzy
  • Santa
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • teampjta
  • Galah
  • RolledOates
  • Footy Fanatic
  • azza.79
  • Battler
  • Wendall Taylor
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.