NEWS ‘We believe in him’: What went wrong and where to now for the Broncos

BHQArticleImageLarge115

Broncos captain Adam Reynolds has declared under-siege coach Kevin Walters is the only man to orchestrate another salvage mission, after the glamour club’s season was officially brought to an end.

Brisbane’s 40-6 capitulation against the Dolphins ended any chance of squeezing into the finals, with a clash with Melbourne still to come – a far cry from the performance that made them grand finalists last year.

Six straight defeats throughout the State of Origin period shattered their prospects, and in six of their past 12 outings they have conceded at least 30 points, putting Walters under the blowtorch.

While Walters inherited a squad coming off a wooden spoon and took them within a Nathan Cleary masterclass of a title, Brisbane does not tolerate failure and the heat will be on after three missed finals campaigns in four years.

Reynolds, however, declared Walters still had the dressing room.

“I’ve never seen anyone more passionate about the club. I don’t believe there’s another man for the job,” Reynolds said.

“We believe in him and he’s done a fantastic job. I will back Kev whenever I need to.”

The numbers behind the fall

For a second straight season, the Broncos have committed more errors than any side. Last year, however, they displayed a defensive resolve to make amends and had the attack clicking to overturn those mistakes.

In 2023, Brisbane scored more tries and made more linebreaks than any team.

Screenshot 2024 09 02 at 18 18 13 We believe in him What went wrong and where to now for the

They played with energy, coming up with the third most support plays, fourth most decoy runs and second most offloads, and ran with such vigour that only the premiership-winning Panthers finished with more post-contact metres, tackle busts and total run metres.

Everyone on the field was moving with purpose.

This year, the strengths which unleashed their arsenal faded, and they shot themselves in the foot with the competition’s worst set completion rate (76 per cent).

Their mistakes often directly conceded points – defeats to Cronulla and the Gold Coast the leading examples – and they lacked the same intent to fight back.

But when asked if too many players were just waiting for someone to produce magic, Walters replied, “I don’t agree with that.”

And Reynolds dismissed suggestions the side had bought too much into their hype.

“It’s completely irrelevant to last year. A lot of people keep drawing it back to that, but it’s a different team,” Reynolds said.

“Everyone on the outside’s got opinions, but the opinions have come from people who aren’t even down here watching training or within the four walls.

“We’ve been leaking way too many points, but we’re not last year’s team. Every season’s a new season and different scenarios get tossed up.

“We faced a bit of adversity, but we should be good enough to defend those errors.”

Injuries and recruitment

When asked if he regretted losing grand final quartet Thomas Flegler, Kurt Capewell, Herbie Farnworth and Keenan Palasia, Walters replied, “that’s not a discussion for today”.

As for whether they needed a roster overhaul: “We’ll look at that at the end of the year ... [but] I don’t think that’s the problem.”

There were few recruitment moves Brisbane could make to replace the departing class. Lucrative extensions were tabled to Payne Haas, Ezra Mam and Pat Carrigan, while Reece Walsh, Kotoni Staggs and Selwyn Cobbo are free agents from November 1.

Then the injury carnage kicked in, something the Broncos avoided in 2023 as their grand final starting team all featured in at least 20 games.

Jesse Arthars, Haas, Walsh, Mam, Cobbo and Reynolds all missed significant chunks of this season, impacting the side’s cohesion without the same quality cavalry to replace them.

But the salary cap will only allow for so much wiggle room, and Reynolds said he was in no position to say whether personnel changes were needed.

“I believe in the club we’ve got,” Reynolds said.

“We had a completely different season last year, we didn’t have the same amount of injuries or distractions away from the field. You can use that as an excuse, but for us, we just simply weren’t good enough this year.

“We can draw on a bit of the hurt that we’re feeling. It’s going to be a long preseason, and it’s one we’re going to need to go through.”

The future

It should be remembered how young this Brisbane squad is. The average age is roughly 24 – a figure boosted by veterans Reynolds (34), Martin Taupau (34) and Jordan Pereira (31).

Last year the Broncos had the luxury of being able to blood young talent at opportune times. This year, Xavier Willison, Brendan Piakura, Deine Mariner and Josiah Karapani were thrown into the furnace.

Screenshot 2024 09 02 at 18 19 14 We believe in him What went wrong and where to now for the

They will get the chance to build on that platform, given Brisbane have currently only lost Tristan Sailor (St Helens) and Jordan Pereira (retirement) for 2025.

“They belong in that arena,” Broncos veteran Corey Jensen said.

“Xavier’s been a big one, he’s played a lot of games this year – probably more games that he thought – and he’s been outstanding and held his own.

“They always say as a middle forward you tend to find your feet a little bit longer than the outside backs, and you hit your potential later on in your career.

“They’re probably five more years from hitting their straps, but they’ve been outstanding this year and are only going to be better next year.”

Sydney Morning Herald

Again, I think you're being a bit harsh on him and your expectations. The common opinion among the more experienced pundits is that halves do not really come into their own until around 26 or 27 years of age. Reyno was and is fully expected to be acting as a mentor for Mam. Adam has a full 13 seasons more experience of playing at the elite level than him. I think Mam will continue to improve and by another season or so will be fully capable of guiding a team around the park.

Don't forget this year when Adam went down was the first real opportunity Ezra had to actually do it for real. I wouldn't expect him to be of Dylan brown standard right off the bat. And if we're being really honest Dylan has not exactly covered himself in glory when Moses dropped out. I mean the Eels are fighting off the wooden spoon at present. Mam don't forget was trying to lead the team with a 2nd or 3rd string half back replacement.
My point exactly. Mam melted with the expectation to lead the team around much like Dylan Brown has. And we are paying Mam the big bucks now, not so he can develop in 5 years time. He either needs to shape up or take a pay cut. His performances this year were not acceptable to justify his pay packet. The same can be said for Selwyn Cobbo as well.

Still don't know what people see in Sam Walker. He's got a nice short kicking game, and a little bit of elusiveness. Terrible in defense, terrible long kicker, not a great goal kicker either. The last halfback that the Broncos need.
Did you see the rorters look absolutely directionless in attack when he went off the other day? It’s not like they had a shit spine without him, either (Teddy, Manu, Keary, Watson - a spine most clubs would kill for).

Imagine if we had the same attitude towards Renouf, Langer and Lockyer (just to choose 3) when they were 21 years old, that i'm sensing on here for Mam.

None of those gentleman were finished at 21 years old, neither were their games complete.

I would preach patience with Mam.

There are plenty others currently at the club who deserve the honour of wearing a Broncos jersey every week far less than him.

This write up kinda sums up the unique pressure of the only privately owned club in the comp.

Our owners can dial up the pressure when they want to via the media - they can also close ranks and they can promote what they want too.

I always found it best to ignore a lot of the noise this club generates. It's generally to push the agenda of vested interest, not necessarily whats best the club overall

Fact is this - we had argubly the very best forward pack in the comp in 2023.

And now we have, whatever you call this...

A huge recruitment and retention failure.

We allowed the clubs best asset to morph into the 12th best in the comp, in less than a year. How anyone could think outcast deemed not good enough for the Roosters or Cowboys could magically replace what we lost...

The outgoings were not adequately replaced. In fact, guys like Baker ect would hardly be missed if they just never showed up next season.

And we have a starting 9 who never gets dropped whilst others do. And it's NOT because hes the greatest hooker in the games history...

Why the actual **** is Paix STILL doing here on our books? Unfathomable?

We have 3 years of evidence of what 2025 will bring under the current coaching team, and one outlier year. Can DD read the room correctly here and make the right decision in good time?

Because i'm telling you, the clock is rapidly ticking down here for the right decision to be made.

And running all this back again....aint it.

with a 2nd or 3rd string half back replacement.

This concerns me greatly.
Josh Rogers and Jock Madden are SOLID... but they are not HIM.

We really lack that 'fear factor' that opposition teams have ... the only player that teams 'fear' is Walsh... and that magic has worn off a bit, since SOO.
That SOO hit on Walsh... that is going to make/break his career... he needs to come out and silence his critics in 2025.

This concerns me greatly.
Josh Rogers and Jock Madden are SOLID... but they are not HIM.

We really lack that 'fear factor' that opposition teams have ... the only player that teams 'fear' is Walsh... and that magic has worn off a bit, since SOO.
That SOO hit on Walsh... that is going to make/break his career... he needs to come out and silence his critics in 2025.

We are young and inconsistent but we have more players than just Walsh that have a fear factor. All of:
Staggs
Cobbo
Walsh
Mam
Carrigan
Haas

Bring fear factor, they've all just been busted and broken this year. Mariner after a big preseason will likely join them.

Still don't know what people see in Sam Walker. He's got a nice short kicking game, and a little bit of elusiveness. Terrible in defense, terrible long kicker, not a great goal kicker either. The last halfback that the Broncos need.
He has also had 2x ACL injuries in 2 years…

Something to bear in mind when considering placing all our eggs in that basket…

We are young and inconsistent but we have more players than just Walsh that have a fear factor. All of:
Staggs
Cobbo
Walsh
Mam
Carrigan
Haas

Bring fear factor, they've all just been busted and broken this year. Mariner after a big preseason will likely join them.

Disagree about Staggs/Carrigan/Haas
- Staggs has been a rare shining light this year, but I don't think he's 'feared' like a Hammer/LM type of player. He is still a premier SOLID centre, but he's not a LM (SOO game 2 this year LM)

- Carrigan and Haas are TOP-SHELF NRL players, we love em and we need them. What I'm saying is we need a HIM. (Spencer/Angus/Liam Martin) These type of blokes. (Like Gordy back in the day)
Feel free to disagree but I don't think we currently have that type of player in our pack right now.

The kids these days call it a HIM. We do not have a HIM in our pack.

Our HIM is meant to be Walsh. But you only have to go to Social Media to see other club fans basically shitting on Walsh , saying he isn't a HIM.

He needs to prove he is our HIM.

Lets be honest, he IS our guy... he needs to be HIM on GF day, for us to win a title in this window.

Just my 2 cents but I reckon a lot of Broncos fans agree with this.

(obviously taking the piss with the 'HIM'.... but you ppls get my point)

Active Now

• Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.