NEWS ‘We believe in him’: What went wrong and where to now for the Broncos

BHQArticleImageLarge115

Broncos captain Adam Reynolds has declared under-siege coach Kevin Walters is the only man to orchestrate another salvage mission, after the glamour club’s season was officially brought to an end.

Brisbane’s 40-6 capitulation against the Dolphins ended any chance of squeezing into the finals, with a clash with Melbourne still to come – a far cry from the performance that made them grand finalists last year.

Six straight defeats throughout the State of Origin period shattered their prospects, and in six of their past 12 outings they have conceded at least 30 points, putting Walters under the blowtorch.

While Walters inherited a squad coming off a wooden spoon and took them within a Nathan Cleary masterclass of a title, Brisbane does not tolerate failure and the heat will be on after three missed finals campaigns in four years.

Reynolds, however, declared Walters still had the dressing room.

“I’ve never seen anyone more passionate about the club. I don’t believe there’s another man for the job,” Reynolds said.

“We believe in him and he’s done a fantastic job. I will back Kev whenever I need to.”

The numbers behind the fall

For a second straight season, the Broncos have committed more errors than any side. Last year, however, they displayed a defensive resolve to make amends and had the attack clicking to overturn those mistakes.

In 2023, Brisbane scored more tries and made more linebreaks than any team.

Screenshot 2024 09 02 at 18 18 13 We believe in him What went wrong and where to now for the

They played with energy, coming up with the third most support plays, fourth most decoy runs and second most offloads, and ran with such vigour that only the premiership-winning Panthers finished with more post-contact metres, tackle busts and total run metres.

Everyone on the field was moving with purpose.

This year, the strengths which unleashed their arsenal faded, and they shot themselves in the foot with the competition’s worst set completion rate (76 per cent).

Their mistakes often directly conceded points – defeats to Cronulla and the Gold Coast the leading examples – and they lacked the same intent to fight back.

But when asked if too many players were just waiting for someone to produce magic, Walters replied, “I don’t agree with that.”

And Reynolds dismissed suggestions the side had bought too much into their hype.

“It’s completely irrelevant to last year. A lot of people keep drawing it back to that, but it’s a different team,” Reynolds said.

“Everyone on the outside’s got opinions, but the opinions have come from people who aren’t even down here watching training or within the four walls.

“We’ve been leaking way too many points, but we’re not last year’s team. Every season’s a new season and different scenarios get tossed up.

“We faced a bit of adversity, but we should be good enough to defend those errors.”

Injuries and recruitment

When asked if he regretted losing grand final quartet Thomas Flegler, Kurt Capewell, Herbie Farnworth and Keenan Palasia, Walters replied, “that’s not a discussion for today”.

As for whether they needed a roster overhaul: “We’ll look at that at the end of the year ... [but] I don’t think that’s the problem.”

There were few recruitment moves Brisbane could make to replace the departing class. Lucrative extensions were tabled to Payne Haas, Ezra Mam and Pat Carrigan, while Reece Walsh, Kotoni Staggs and Selwyn Cobbo are free agents from November 1.

Then the injury carnage kicked in, something the Broncos avoided in 2023 as their grand final starting team all featured in at least 20 games.

Jesse Arthars, Haas, Walsh, Mam, Cobbo and Reynolds all missed significant chunks of this season, impacting the side’s cohesion without the same quality cavalry to replace them.

But the salary cap will only allow for so much wiggle room, and Reynolds said he was in no position to say whether personnel changes were needed.

“I believe in the club we’ve got,” Reynolds said.

“We had a completely different season last year, we didn’t have the same amount of injuries or distractions away from the field. You can use that as an excuse, but for us, we just simply weren’t good enough this year.

“We can draw on a bit of the hurt that we’re feeling. It’s going to be a long preseason, and it’s one we’re going to need to go through.”

The future

It should be remembered how young this Brisbane squad is. The average age is roughly 24 – a figure boosted by veterans Reynolds (34), Martin Taupau (34) and Jordan Pereira (31).

Last year the Broncos had the luxury of being able to blood young talent at opportune times. This year, Xavier Willison, Brendan Piakura, Deine Mariner and Josiah Karapani were thrown into the furnace.

Screenshot 2024 09 02 at 18 19 14 We believe in him What went wrong and where to now for the

They will get the chance to build on that platform, given Brisbane have currently only lost Tristan Sailor (St Helens) and Jordan Pereira (retirement) for 2025.

“They belong in that arena,” Broncos veteran Corey Jensen said.

“Xavier’s been a big one, he’s played a lot of games this year – probably more games that he thought – and he’s been outstanding and held his own.

“They always say as a middle forward you tend to find your feet a little bit longer than the outside backs, and you hit your potential later on in your career.

“They’re probably five more years from hitting their straps, but they’ve been outstanding this year and are only going to be better next year.”

Sydney Morning Herald

We should be very concerned that Walsh is 2 months away from being a free agent. That is just unforgivable.

We should be very concerned that Walsh is 2 months away from being a free agent. That is just unforgivable.
If he’s leaving it’s not for money. We’ve had contract negotiations open for a long time.

just out of interest would paying him $1.4 million a season (media speculation) be unforgivable.

I have no doubt he'll stay and a deal will be done. this whole media beat-up about players becoming free agents is BS anyway. Players can talk to rival clubs any time the want (about off contract years) and there is nothing in the NRL rules to stop them. the only thing they can't do until November 1 is actually sign a contract. Walsh's agent would have known for months exactly what Rivals are prepared to offer him, and he is currently using that info to try an leverage more cash out of us.

I'm actually interested to see what Sam Walker is planning on doing, as he also enters "free agency" in 2 months

just out of interest would paying him $1.4 million a season (media speculation) be unforgivable.

I have no doubt he'll stay and a deal will be done. this whole media beat-up about players becoming free agents is BS anyway. Players can talk to rival clubs any time the want (about off contract years) and there is nothing in the NRL rules to stop them. the only thing they can't do until November 1 is actually sign a contract. Walsh's agent would have known for months exactly what Rivals are prepared to offer him, and he is currently using that info to try an leverage more cash out of us.

I'm actually interested to see what Sam Walker is planning on doing, as he also enters "free agency" in 2 months

Still don't know what people see in Sam Walker. He's got a nice short kicking game, and a little bit of elusiveness. Terrible in defense, terrible long kicker, not a great goal kicker either. The last halfback that the Broncos need.

Still don't know what people see in Sam Walker. He's got a nice short kicking game, and a little bit of elusiveness. Terrible in defense, terrible long kicker, not a great goal kicker either. The last halfback that the Broncos need.
He has the knack for reading the game in front of him. Like Cam Smith did. He’s a very sharp footy player.

I called it and am sticking by it, he’ll play for the roosters and the Sam walker injury will make that happen more so now.
Why ?
Can't be the money ?
Answer beginning with "K" ?

All the speculation is becoming quite tedious. The faux drama that Fox is trying to generate with the crap about Reyno and the rumours about our young players being advised to get out of Brisbane is all designed to destabilise our club even further.

The gullible among us will believe almost anything that is printed online. Regardless whether it's coming from a journo or some unnamed anonymous troll. Some on here consider if something is in print online then there must be some truth in it.

90% of everything written is speculation and is simply there to satisfy the news cycle and keep these parasites in a job.

Sure there has been some major stuff ups by our hierarchy, sure there is some serious work to be done on our systems, but "getting out of town" will not solve a single thing for anyone.

All the pressure and scrutiny on players comes from the media and what is written on the social media websites/apps. it doesn't matter where you are in Australia, if you're not putting in and playing for the team that's what will be highlighted on these media formats. It becomes the main talking point and parasite journos will feast on that for weeks.

Sure if you want to play 'comfy football" then think twice about trying to ride on the coattails of the Brisbane Broncos. You're not the sort of player this club is interested in nurturing. By all means run-off to somewhere else...you're doing us all a favour.

Young Mam, and Walshy might like to show off their swag but at least they put in when the rest of the team is doing their thing to allow them. When more than half of the forward pack is running on cruise control it tends to make the backs' job twice as difficult.

All the speculation is becoming quite tedious. The faux drama that Fox is trying to generate with the crap about Reyno and the rumours about our young players being advised to get out of Brisbane is all designed to destabilise our club even further.

The gullible among us will believe almost anything that is printed online. Regardless whether it's coming from a journo or some unnamed anonymous troll. Some on here consider if something is in print online then there must be some truth in it.

90% of everything written is speculation and is simply there to satisfy the news cycle and keep these parasites in a job.

Sure there has been some major stuff ups by our hierarchy, sure there is some serious work to be done on our systems, but "getting out of town" will not solve a single thing for anyone.

All the pressure and scrutiny on players comes from the media and what is written on the social media websites/apps. it doesn't matter where you are in Australia, if you're not putting in and playing for the team that's what will be highlighted on these media formats. It becomes the main talking point and parasite journos will feast on that for weeks.

Sure if you want to play 'comfy football" then think twice about trying to ride on the coattails of the Brisbane Broncos. You're not the sort of player this club is interested in nurturing. By all means run-off to somewhere else...you're doing us all a favour.

Young Mam, and Walshy might like to show off their swag but at least they put in when the rest of the team is doing their thing to allow them. When more than half of the forward pack is running on cruise control it tends to make the backs' job twice as difficult.
As long as you're self aware enough to recognize the opinion you've stated here is just as much part of the soap opera you describe.

As long as you're self aware enough to recognize the opinion you've stated here is just as much part of the soap opera you describe.
So long as you are equally aware that your comment is borderline nihilism🙂.

I'm well aware that participating in an online forum where you are expected to express an opinion does have some minor drawbacks.

Kicks goals at 82% this season. Not too shabby.

Walsh puts in week in week out. Mam on the other hand was MIA for the whole year this year.

Walsh puts in week in week out. Mam on the other hand was MIA for the whole year this year.
I think that's a bit harsh. He scored 9 tries in 19 games and he did have to put up with the whole racists B/S in our very first game. For a kid who just turned 21 that would have been pretty hard to deal with. I thought his front on defence improved quite a bit this year, but his combo with Piakura left a lot to be desired.

So his year was not as good as last year, but I'd hardly say he was MIA for the whole year.

I think that's a bit harsh. He scored 9 tries in 19 games and he did have to put up with the whole racists B/S in our very first game. For a kid who just turned 21 that would have been pretty hard to deal with. I thought his front on defence improved quite a bit this year, but his combo with Piakura left a lot to be desired.

So his year was not as good as last year, but I'd hardly say he was MIA for the whole year.
He had to step up when Reynolds went down and didn't. Just because he is 21 doesn't mean he gets a free pass especially considering the contract he just signed for. When you sign for the big money the pressure comes with it and he failed massively this year. What Mam showed this year was that without Reynolds holding his hand doing everything else, he is just a run of the mill normal playmaker and nothing special which is a lot like Dylan Brown. He further enforced the need for the club to go out and get a proper playmaker when Reynolds retires because Mam has already shown he is not capable of leading the side around the field.
And his defence has improved? He missed almost 5 tackles this year, way up from last year. Sure having the turnstile that is Piakura defending next him didn't help, but he regressed in that department as well.

He had to step up when Reynolds went down and didn't. Just because he is 21 doesn't mean he gets a free pass especially considering the contract he just signed for. When you sign for the big money the pressure comes with it and he failed massively this year. What Mam showed this year was that without Reynolds holding his hand doing everything else, he is just a run of the mill normal playmaker and nothing special which is a lot like Dylan Brown. He further enforced the need for the club to go out and get a proper playmaker when Reynolds retires because Mam has already shown he is not capable of leading the side around the field.
And his defence has improved? He missed almost 5 tackles this year, way up from last year. Sure having the turnstile that is Piakura defending next him didn't help, but he regressed in that department as well.
Again, I think you're being a bit harsh on him and your expectations. The common opinion among the more experienced pundits is that halves do not really come into their own until around 26 or 27 years of age. Reyno was and is fully expected to be acting as a mentor for Mam. Adam has a full 13 seasons more experience of playing at the elite level than him. I think Mam will continue to improve and by another season or so will be fully capable of guiding a team around the park.

Don't forget this year when Adam went down was the first real opportunity Ezra had to actually do it for real. I wouldn't expect him to be of Dylan brown standard right off the bat. And if we're being really honest Dylan has not exactly covered himself in glory when Moses dropped out. I mean the Eels are fighting off the wooden spoon at present. Mam don't forget was trying to lead the team with a 2nd or 3rd string half back replacement.

Active Now

• LittleDavey
  • Battler
  • Fitzy
  • Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • cento
  • Bucking Beads
  • Hurrijo
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Broncosgirl
  • Sproj
  • Dash
  • Johnny92
  • Culhwch
  • mrslong
  • leon.bott
  • mrtij
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.