09/10 Football Thread

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Lol, first chance i've had to respond is now. Went to bed straight after the game and then had to get up at 6:30 for Uni!

Liverpool were denied what was a certain penalty IMO, but we didn't deserve to win anyway.

We were terrible, Spurs bossed the midfield. Our passing was all over the shop.

Hopefully it's just rust.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Why didn't Aquilani play?

I reckon Liverpool lack some basic depth in certain positions which are weak enough as it is. Probably the fault of the shitty owners you guys have not releasing funds to buy decent players. You should have bought decent cover for right and left wings plus another good forward, not someone shite like Robbie Keane :P

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Scotty said:
Why didn't Aquilani play?

I reckon Liverpool lack some basic depth in certain positions which are weak enough as it is. Probably the fault of the shitty owners you guys have not releasing funds to buy decent players. You should have bought decent cover for right and left wings plus another good forward, not someone shite like Robbie Keane :P

We definitely do lack depth. Other than Benayoun, our bench yesterday was fairly average.

Aquilani is still recovering from an ankle injury i think. He had a few injury problems at Roma because they kept rushing him back into the side. Should be back around late September/October. That's a guess though.

R

ronnyd

QCup Player
Mar 14, 2008
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/blogs/ph ... ton-225702

Thats one of the most embarrassing things I have ever read. Cahill would be sitting on the bench for any of the top 4 sides and he ain't close to being evertons best player.

also love the comment about 'cahill being to the socceroos what torres is to spain', has this guy even watched spain play before? I doubt he has even read spain's team sheet.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Australias arrogance when it comes to football is cringeworthy, It really is. And this is a classic example of it. I'm sorry to have a go at the Australian attitude when it comes to sports but it seems like nothing is off limits to an inflated ego.

Cahill is probably the finest and most famous player in the Goodison Park outfit but his rare talents that manifest themselves in most areas of the field are wasted on such a mediocre team that will struggle to retain the flattering fifth place in the Premier League they achieved last season.

Mikel Arteta is head and shoulders above Cahill as a player. But I'm sure he doesn't get noticed cause he isn't an Aussie. Cahill is an excellent finisher, especially for a midfielder but isn't exactly a play making genious. Also, to call Everton a "mediocre" team is insulting and shows that the muppet that wrote this has the football intelligence of a wet dishcloth. The premier league is one of, if not the best league in the world and the fight for a European spot isn't an easy battle by any means.

It doesn't seem to matter if it's Fox sports or SBS, people in the football related media in Aus with good knowledge of the game see few and far between. Mark Bosnich shits me to tears on weekends, Robbie Slater is a complete douchebag and my most hated is Craig Foster on SBS televised games who is so blatantly anti-English it makes me want to kick him in the face. Simon Hill is the only one I can stand listening to TBH.

On a side note related to people in the football media in Aus, in Fox sports FC.. why the F**K is Brian McFadden co-hosting it? WTF does that prat know? Did they get him on board just because he's Irish... Irish = Europe and therefore a connection with football exists no matter how vague? I suppose I can't expect too much in a country which is dominated by other sports.

S

Scumbag

NRL Player
Mar 8, 2008
You can't expect too much Scotty, but you should be able to. One day Australia may catch up. Maybe. McFadden just adds the final touch to an overall embrassing offering. Agree with all your points.

What style is Foster championing these days?

He used to crap on about the Spanish style as being the one Australian football should adopt didn't he?

Also, because I'm too lazy to search for it, do you know the overnight ECL results?

Cheers. icon_thumbs_u

M

mal

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
FOURRR NILLLLL FOURRR NILLLL FOURRR NILLLL FOUR NILL!!! Johnson was absolutely fucken boss !!!! Lucas and Masch were great

And manu lost to burnely 1-0.. what a great fucken start to the day!

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
I think Foster is generally pretty smart but his know it all attitude and complete disregard for the English game is cringe worthy. I agree with his thoughts that Australia should steer away from the English models for developing players and look at the Spanish or the Dutch but he seems to talk about it like it is Ben Buckley and Frank Lowy's fault even though this is a process that would take decades to see any result from.

As for my predictions;
England - Chelsea: I hate them but Man U weakened on paper and Chelsea will hang around all year, Liverpool also weakened. Would love to see Arsenal do it but I can't see them stringing together the consistency required.

Spain - Barcelona: They need to sign one more central midfielder because the loss of Yaya and Keita for the African Nations coupled with the World Club Cup will be too much weight on Xavi, Busquets and Iniesta's shoulders to carry them through those middle few months.

Italy - Juventus: I like the way they signed and I think they realistically have the team to kill Inter who have no creative players now that Ibra is gone.

France - Bordeaux: 1 Reason, Gourcuff the guy is an absolute gun of a player and Ancelotti was a complete retard to let him stay on after his loan spell, Leonardo will be ruing this decision all season.

Germany - Wolfsburg: They could do it again and with Martins coming in to add to Dzeko and Grafite I think they have the fire power to beat Bayern who will improve under Van Gaal, I do see Ribery having a poor year because I imagine he is unhappy at still being in Germany.

Holland - PSV: They beat Ajax the other day so that will do, plus I don't see AZ doing it again without Van Gaal.

Scotland - Celtic: On paper I think they have a better side and I still don't understand how they lost to Rangers last year.

Australia - Gold Coast: If Smeltz, Culina, Minniecon stay fit they will win their side is very good just not sure about depth. The Roar are a chance but need to get the balance between attack and defense right.

Russo

Russo

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Another great day with Spurs winning 5-1 over the Tigers, well in Jermaine Defoe a hattrick after a brace for England the other day........and Manure losing to Burnley to top things off...........happy day ahead !!

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Yes, great seeing Burnley win! It'll be a tough place to go.

Glad Defoe scored a hattrick seeing as he's in my fantasy team. :mrgreen:

4-0 win for Liverpool made the 5am wake up worth it.

S

Scumbag

NRL Player
Mar 8, 2008
Big call on the coast winning the A-League Gymp. I'll hold you to that. [icon_wink

As for Wolfsburg, their fans reacted to the winning of the championship this year by shamelessly admitting that they got "very lucky" and that it was obviously just as much about the other teams being slightly off the pace as it was about their on field performances. A once in a blue moon type of achievement and the paranoia over Bayern "coming to get them this season" is intense. I agree about Grafite, he had a season last year where everything he touched turned to goals and the arrival of Martins will do them the world of good.

I don't think it will be enough to knock off Bayern taking it out this year though. Franck needs to stop whinging like a little baby though. I know I tipped Werder Bremen out of sheer bias, but I think Stuttgart are a finals chance this year. They're chokers of the highest order, so they won't win but they will get close.

Celtic should take it out but I think Lyon are a show.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah I think the Bundesliga is open as hell this season and I could see any number of teams winning it.

S

Scumbag

NRL Player
Mar 8, 2008
Yeah sorry mate. I tend to crap on about it. I should really pay more attention to the EPL or La Liga hey? [icon_wink [icon_lol1.

I see Athletico had a win this morning. Do they have a "rivalry" of sorts with Real Madrid?

Or is the rivalry more between Barca and Real?

You'll have to enlighten me.

Active Now

• Lostboy
  • Robboi_321
  • Foordy
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Fozz
  • Skathen
  • Redux
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Dia Ken
  • Jedhead
  • Xzei
  • Socnorb
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.