09/10 Football Thread

Awful stuff. There haven't been many better than Sir Bobby. One of the genuinely nice guys of the world of football

RIP

Robson004.jpg

Adeu, cavaller angles.

One of my fave englishmen ever. Signed fucking Ronaldo to Barca.

Spanish football is in mourning after it was confirmed Espanyol captain Daniel Jarque has died at the age of 26.

The midfielder passed away this evening when his heart stopped following a training session in Coverciano, Italy where the squad are on a pre-season camp.

Club doctors and Italian paramedics tried to revive Jarque, a product of the Espanyol youth system, but without success.

A statement on the club website, http://www.rcdespanyol.cat, read: "Tragedy struck Espanyol and the family of Dani Jarque this evening. The blanquiazul player died from a cardiac arrest.

"The doctor Cervera carried out CPR on the player and used a defibrillator, which showed that the arrest was non responsive.

"After a few minutes the first ambulance arrived from the Florence emergency services, who tried again with the defibrillator they carried.

"The medical services continued carrying out CPR, administering adrenaline and atropine for an hour, but the player's heart did not react, so finally that determined his death.

"RCD Espanyol, broken with pain, wish to put themselves at the absolute disposition of the family of our captain Dani Jarque, to whom go our warmest thoughts."

Jarque joined Espanyol at the age of 12, making his debut in 2002, and was handed the captaincy this summer.

His death comes two years after that of Sevilla and Spain defender Antonio Puerta, who suffered multiple organ failure in hospital, three days after a cardiac arrest during a league match against Getafe.

It was Sevilla who led the tributes from other Primera Division clubs tonight.

"Sevilla FC and president Jose Maria del Nido share the pain of the family of deceased RCD Espanyol player Daniel Jarque, the team captain, who suffered a heart attack while talking on the phone in his room while with the team on their tour of Italy," said a statement on their website.

Espanyol's city rivals Barcelona also offered their condolences on their website with a message from president Joan Laporta.

He told http://www.fcbarcelona.cat: "We are filled with extreme dismay at this tragic event which we deeply regret.

"Today we are all in mourning.

"I want to send, on behalf of FC Barcelona, our deepest sympathies to RCD Espanyol for the painful loss of their captain Dani Jarque, and to his family."

A statement from Real Madrid added: "Real Madrid wishes to express its sincere condolences to the player's family, RCD Espanyol and the team's fans for the death of team captain, Dani Jarque."

Espanyol, who had been due to play Bologna in a friendly on Sunday, have suspended their pre-season tour of Italy and will now fly back to Barcelona.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/ne ... anyol.html

Terrible news.

RIP Dani.

Gee boys this is turning into a morbid thread, and here I was going to sticky it

wtf is it with footballers and heart problems. Foe, Feher, Puerta and now Dani, all in the last 10 years. You dont see this in any other sport....

Lots of pressure and frustration trying to score goals whilst playing teams with misely defence?

Increased stress about performing to justify extensive pay packets?

Constantly being overly in the public eye and having large amounts of the population scrutinising your every move?

All of these would be very problematic in the European climate.

That's a few possibilities maybe.

Oh yeah, came across this story which i found utterly hilarious:

One of England's top premiership soccer clubs is to perform a flippant haka before its season-opening game this week, despite legal protests that it insults Maori.

The lawyer spearheading Maori intellectual property claims is writing to Everton Football Club, warning that its "bastardised" haka trespasses on Maori rights and disrespects their heritage.

But the club is unrepentant about its use of the "he ha" haka, part of the team's new "All Black" look and unveiled three days ago with its team strip.

Hired Maori dancers will perform the haka as Everton and Arsenal run on to Goodison Park in Liverpool on Saturday, the opening day of England's Premier League club competition.

The game, the most important match-up of the opening day, is likely to feature football internationals such as England prodigy Theo Walcott, Spaniard Cesc Fabregas and Australia's Tim Cahill.

It will be watched by television viewers around the world.

Intellectual property lawyer Maui Solomon said he was appalled by the haka. "I think it's showing cultural disrespect to Maori. People overseas need to know Maori culture isn't just up for grabs."

Solomon, who represents three iwi in an intellectual property rights claim before the Waitangi Tribunal, said it was also damaging to New Zealand's "cultural brand".

"This is the thin edge of the wedge. People all over the world are appropriating Maori culture for commercial purposes."

Everton officials should have checked with the New Zealand Rugby Union or a Maori authority first, Solomon said.

Performances of haka by overseas pop stars and advertisers have sparked anger before, and lawyers for the Ngati Toa iwi fought unsuccessfully to trademark the All Black Ka Mate haka, written by Te Rauparaha.

In February, the Government and Ngati Toa agreed a Treaty settlement that recognised the iwi's authorship of Ka Mate. The iwi has agreed to the All Blacks' continuing use of the haka.

Everton FC spokesman Mark Rowan said there was no intention to be disrespectful in the club performing a haka.

"As a club we understand what the haka represents and we simply wanted to celebrate the launch of our new all black playing strip with a dedicated Everton haka," he said.

"Since the haka took place on Thursday we have received nothing but positive comments and we do plan to perform the Everton haka again."

The club's website described the new strip as a "dynamic new 'All Black' look."

NZRU commercial manager Paul Dalton said intellectual property rights around the All Blacks were monitored carefully.

"Our main concern here would be making sure there's no confusion for our fans," he said. "Everton's new pink and black strip, at first look, doesn't look like anything All Black fans should be worried about."

Radio host Willie Jackson is one Maori not concerned about the haka. The English lyrics didn't "mangle the language."

"I only get angry if they deliberately set out to make what we're doing look stupid. I don't think we need to get too precious."

* Words to the Everton haka:

Everton! Everton! He, ha, he, ha!
It's a grand old team, he, ha!
It's a grand old team to support
And if you know your history
it's enough to make your heart go he, ha!

* Maori mimics - from pop stars to adverts

Previous attempts to hijack the haka have ranged from impromptu performances by pop stars to alcohol ads. Earlier this year the Royal Shakespeare company caused a ruckus by including a drunken haka in a performance of The Taming of the Shrew.

An English television ad featuring women in bikinis performing a haka was pulled off air in 2001 after more than 100 complaints.

New Zealand High Commissioner Paul East was among those to complain about the alcopop ad featuring the tag-line, "Go Native". In the same year, Ngati Toa objected to a topless version of Ka Mate, to be performed by dancers at an Auckland strip club.

In 2002 the BBC was criticised for featuring a Welsh rugby team performing the haka in an ad. The use of moko in a French fashion collection has also come under fire and pop group the Spice Girls were criticised for performing a haka in Bali in 1997.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10589551

[icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1.

Anything to say ronnyd? :mrgreen:

up there with the most embarrassing things this clubs done, and there's been a few!

No more embarassing or unnecessary than the standard haka.

The regular haka is awesome, because it actually represents something meaningful to the people that do it. I HATE when it is ripped off and I'm not even a kiwi. It's one of the most cringeworthy things I can imagine... I dunno what the hell Everton are expecting from this... do they think it's funny? Do they think it will pump up the team? It's one of the biggest steaming piles of fail I have ever seen.

Silence said:
No more embarassing or unnecessary than the standard haka.

Is this a bait?

Please enlighten us as to why the haka is embarassing and unnecessary.

Scotty said:
The regular haka is awesome, because it actually represents something meaningful to the people that do it. I HATE when it is ripped off and I'm not even a kiwi. It's one of the most cringeworthy things I can imagine... I dunno what the hell Everton are expecting from this... do they think it's funny? Do they think it will pump up the team? It's one of the biggest steaming piles of fail I have ever seen.

I really feel embarrassed for them. Their new kit isn't even 'all black' FFS. [icon_lol1.

everton-pink-away-kit.jpg

hahah that's got to be a runner up to Newcastle as worst away strip of the season :P

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • john1420
  • broncoscope
  • Foordy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Xzei
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Hurrijo
  • kiwibronco
  • Skyblues87
  • Midean
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.