2014 Ladies and Gentlemen

Oh gawd........if we are going to start questioning whether Barba will add anything to this team then we may as well give up on league and start watching lawn bowls. The guy is a game winner pure and simple.

Last edited:
Agreed, you could say glimpses on Thursday night and that is after weeks out, he'll be a star for us and imagine how good he'll become if he settles!!

Barba has:

15 tries from 21 games in 2010
23 tries from 24 games in 2011 (top try scorer)
24 tries from 27 games in 2012 (top try scorer)
10 tries from 15 games in 2013

that is hardly only one good year

It's worth pointing out they mssed the finals in 2010 and 2011 despite those stats. I still maintain that it was only last year he was truly instrumental. A lot of people here are already booking our spot in the finals next year based on his signing alone. A bit premature, I think. More improvement is still needed by the Broncos for it to be successful, imo.

It's a fair point though, Foordy. If he can replicate those figures for us it'll be awesome as we've had some close losses. He comes with baggage though off the field that I hope the club can stay on top of.

Last edited:
To me 2011 was Barba's breakthough season. He showed some brilliant form in patches during that season but he was a factor in the Bulldog's missing the finals as I found his defense and positioning very questionable. Dessie came in last year and made Barba work on defense and positioning and he became one of the best fullbacks in the game (I rate Slater, Inglis and Stewart ahead of him).

It's worth pointing out they mssed the finals in 2010 and 2011 despite those stats. I still maintain that it was only last year he was truly instrumental. A lot of people here are already booking our spot in the finals next year based on his signing alone. A bit premature, I think. More improvement is still needed by the Broncos for it to be successful, imo.

In other words, he's improving as a player - I agree. As B'man says, Des improved his game a lot last year. Let's not forget he's still just a kid too - he will be as good as Slater if he works at it. An absolute gamebreaker.

There's no way Hoffman should play fullback. I would say that this is more the problem then Barba being an unknown in the halves.

If Barba is good to go R1, he plays fullback, simple as that.

Normally yes, it would be that simple. Throw in Griffin and his merry men and then we really have no idea what will happen.

Normally yes, it would be that simple. Throw in Griffin and his merry men and then we really have no idea what will happen.

Exactly mate. If Griffin comes out and says Barba starts like everyone else and has to fight for his position, it is the biggest gee up around, but as you say, who knows. Just like Prince had to apparently. Prince was always going to be a starting half, saying he had to fight for his position was just good media gloss.

Barba at the back with Hoff on the wing, has to happen.

I don't know whether you have a large **** or not mieko, either way I still like you!

It's worth pointing out they mssed the finals in 2010 and 2011 despite those stats. I still maintain that it was only last year he was truly instrumental. A lot of people here are already booking our spot in the finals next year based on his signing alone.
I think our team will definitely improve with Barba in it. I don't know if that will translate into a finals spot but it will make Broncos games a hell of lot easier to sit through.

Just because we signed the leading try scorer doesn't automatically guarantee success. The Dragons only managed a Grand Final appearance, 9th and a semi-final appearance from 1999-2001 respectively when Nathan Blacklock was the leading try scorer for 3 straight years.

Barba will definitely improve the team but we need to build the rest of the team around him and make sure we lay the platform and deliver clean quality ball to him.

What about a defense line that moves up instead of standing still or sliding backwards? This and the miss tackles are far more important and things that can be fixed.

What about a defense line that moves up instead of standing still or sliding backwards? This and the miss tackles are far more important and things that can be fixed.
Yeah, that should be the priority. Better fitness would help too. Though it's not like they have to race up 10m back and forth, even 2 or 3m makes a big difference.

I'm changing my team. Taunt me if you will.

1. Milford
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Oates
5. Yow Yeh
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Thaiday
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Granville
15. Glenn
16. Kennedy
17. Stagg / Tasi / Hala

I would be happy with that if it keeps Hoffman away from full back. Certainly wouldn't knock a coach for trying it. Although from what I have heard, Milford is the stronger defender, which would be needed up the middle.

Active Now

• Lurker
  • Tim K
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Justwin
  • Aldo
  • Harry Sack
  • marw
  • teampjta
  • broncsgoat
  • davidp
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.