2014 Ladies and Gentlemen

And what if Barba killed it at 6 ?

then that would be great but that doesn't seem very likely at all. at fullback Barba is great because he is really good in broken play, is a great support player and seems to have that special ability to turn half chances into tries. But he isn't really a great playmaker. As a fullback he is a bit like Billy Slater and just like Slater, moving him into the halves seems counter-productive.

that is not to mentiont he fact that he'd get murdered defending in the front line.

I like the look of Strasser at six if we don't get Milford but could the Barba switch go the same great way as the Lockyer switch did?

Problem with complaining about barbs at 6 is that unless we get Milford we don't really have any other option.

Knowing Griffin he will probably play Barba at six and we will miss the eight again. He will then switch Barba back to fullback in round 25 and Barba will carve up and leave us wondering what could have been.

Please look forward to 1. Hoffman 6. Barba 7. Milford

I have no problem with Hook trying Barba at six, the problem is that he seems to be very slow to react or just plain reluctant to make a change to something else when things clearly aren't working........well its either that or he truely has absolutely no freakin idea what to do.

I'd say there will be a few guys trialled at six early next year, Barba, Hoffy, Milford etc but if our fitness/defense/kicking game/urgency doesn't improve then it won't really matter who is at six.

Another big worry for me next year will be our kicking in general play, at this stage who do we have.......Hunt and that's it.

Macca's got a decent long boot, if he works on it he'll be fine - and Hunt is no worries with short kicks. Least of our worries IMO...

How likely are we to get Milford? I really don't think Canberra will let him go and I wouldn't blame them. Also, Milford and Barba are pretty much the same player so why would one work at six but the other not?

dally m fullback of the year should play fullback. it's like that time the great darren lockyer was moved to half back against melbourne, it was an epic fail having a great player out of position.

dally m fullback of the year should play fullback. it's like that time the great darren lockyer was moved to half back against melbourne, it was an epic fail having a great player out of position.

people seem to forget that we turned the Dally M (and best fullback in the world) into a 5/8 when we needed one. now i'm not saying Barba is as good as Lockyer, but the similarities are there.

Both played the majority of their junior footy in the halves
both turned in to fullbacks at NRL level due to necessity
both excelled at fullback.

I don't know why a 5/8 move couldn't work for Barba.

FTR, i'm not advocating this, just laying out another side of the argument

What's Barba's kicking game like?
Milford's is very good and I'd have him ahead of Barba in the position if he joins us...

I have doubts about Barba. He's had one good year (2012) and has struggled to recapture that form. Some of the press has been telling as well, particularly the one about not being on speaking terms with his Bulldogs team mates. Despite that, I'm glad that the Broncos have signed him as it has generated a lot of excitement and discussion but gee, it could go pear-shaped very quickly. Fingers crossed it works out.

I have doubts about Barba. He's had one good year (2012) and has struggled to recapture that form. Some of the press has been telling as well, particularly the one about not being on speaking terms with his Bulldogs team mates. Despite that, I'm glad that the Broncos have signed him as it has generated a lot of excitement and discussion but gee, it could go pear-shaped very quickly. Fingers crossed it works out.

Barba has:

15 tries from 21 games in 2010
23 tries from 24 games in 2011 (top try scorer)
24 tries from 27 games in 2012 (top try scorer)
10 tries from 15 games in 2013

that is hardly only one good year

Active Now

• Santa
  • Broncorob
  • Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.