2016 Rio Olympics

Last edited:
I see some people are saying there was a current in the pool that helped certain lanes. Wonder how long til swimming Australia jumps onboard and blames it.

God, reading the Facebook comments about how proud they are of the Boomers is embarrassing. They played shit, and looked totally unprepared. It's such a soft, "no such thing as failure" mentality that has us performing so poorly as it is. No mental steel. The fact they are Olympians shouldn't mean they be coasting on reputation, the fact they are Olympians mean they should be doing their absolute best! This Olympics has just annoyed me.

Agreed 100%. I'm sick of hearing "amazing effort for 5th" when they were the gold medal favourite and promising gold before the games so they can get endorsment deals.

All of these faces of the Olympic team in all of these commercials and they are all failures.

Wheres the ad that features Kyle Chalmers, Womens Rugby 7s team or Chloe Esposito? None of these people talked themselves up but got the job done.

This whole James Magnussen syndrome has carried over to this Olympics as well. We're too busy posturing rather than actually competing. If you're gonna talk shit, you better back it up.

Rio Olympics 2016: Australian athletes arrested for alleged accreditation tampering

The Australian Olympic Committee is concerned that at least nine Australian athletes have been detained by Brazilian police after allegedly altering their accreditation to gain entry to the Boomers basketball game on Friday night.

An AOC spokesman confirmed that athletes from a number of sports - including cycling, rugby and rowing - were taken to a police station near the Olympic Park to be questioned by local authorities.

Fiona de Jong, Chief executive of the AOC, was on hand with the athletes, trying to smooth the situation over with law enforcement.
"Nine athletes were detained trying to get into the basketball," said AOC spokesman Mike Tancred.

"They have been taken to the police station."

Rio Olympics 2016: Australian athletes arrested for alleged accreditation tampering

They should be thankful they were arrested before the game started.

They didn't have to watch the shit the Boomers dished out.

Bolt in that 4x100 though... fucking hell, absolutely blitzed them.

My favourite was that Arnje sounding swimming coach: 'There are no chokes, just lessons learned.' Nice, great way of passing blame as always.

How ironic to that our most likely last gold medal happens at a place where of course Chiller just happens to be in order to take the limelight once again.

My favourite was that Arnje sounding swimming coach: 'There are no chokes, just lessons learned.' Nice, great way of passing blame as always.

You'd think they had learnt enough lessons by now then!

I realised this morning that the media "putting too much pressure" on our athletes is NOT a valid reason for them losing. I stumbled across this

- YouTube<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tslYPALKWO0" target="_blank">

It's a 4minute documentary about Cathy Freeman's run at the Sydney Olympics. If ever there was pressure on a person to win a race it was Cathy Freeman in 2000. She was the hot favourite, it was her home town, she had lit the Olympic cauldron ffs. All the press was talking about for the entire 2 weeks of events (and 4 years leading up to it) was this race. Like when we'd win a medal it was "Yay, Ian Thorpe has won a gold medal, but we all can't wait for Cathy's race because that's going to be the best gold medal of all time."

They weren't wrong, it was the best gold medal of all time. She handled the pressure and she won.

The reason we are losing is that our athletes don't get the same funding they got in the lead up to Sydney. They have to work day jobs, the powers that be also made poor choices in holding the swimming qual's in April etc......but it certainly wasn't because we wanted them to win too much.

**** Side note: Cathy would have won the 400m this year with her time here too. What a freakin legend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I realised this morning that the media "putting too much pressure" on our athletes is NOT a valid reason for them losing.

I think the athletes start to believe their own hype. And start to think they are unbeatable.

I realised this morning that the media "putting too much pressure" on our athletes is NOT a valid reason for them losing. I stumbled across this

- YouTube<a rel="nofollow" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tslYPALKWO0" target="_blank">

It's a 4minute documentary about Cathy Freeman's run at the Sydney Olympics. If ever there was pressure on a person to win a race it was Cathy Freeman in 2000. She was the hot favourite, it was her home town, she had lit the Olympic cauldron ffs. All the press was talking about for the entire 2 weeks of events (and 4 years leading up to it) was this race. Like when we'd win a medal it was "Yay, Ian Thorpe has won a gold medal, but we all can't wait for Cathy's race because that's going to be the best gold medal of all time."

They weren't wrong, it was the best gold medal of all time. She handled the pressure and she won.

The reason we are losing is that our athletes don't get the same funding they got in the lead up to Sydney. They have to work day jobs, the powers that be also made poor choices in holding the swimming qual's in April etc......but it certainly wasn't because we wanted them to win too much.

**** Side note: Cathy would have won the 400m this year with her time here too. What a freakin legend.

If anything, we are over funding some of these hacks. I'm looking directly at swimming and athletics (where we get smashed every time but its ok, they did a PB even though it was nowhere near what the winner was doing) The pressure from the media is entitled because we as the tax payer have funded most of these guys to go over there and compete and we expect results. Some of our least funded sports picked up gold medals this year because they didn't take for granted why they are there. They busted their ass and paid their own way to get there and got rewarded for it. Sailing, shooting and rowing all hold up their end of the wheel and are some of the least funded sports. Maybe its time to starve some of these glamour sports in order for them to show true grit

Last edited by a moderator:
Same thing happened in London too. Time to re-direct funds me thinks.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • Big Del
  • Foordy
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • kiwi2
  • Fitzy
  • BruiserMk1
  • Justwin
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mr Fourex
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.