2016 Strongest Line-Up

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I think Thaiday needs to start, not come off the bench. For mine he adds to the team a particular energy and enthusiasm which is important for the 1st and last 20 mins at least. Seems to me our best performances were with Thaiday and Blair as starting props. I'd have McGuire on the bench for a while until he's 100%. IMO, it takes time to re-adjust after an absence as long as his. One he is 100%, it gets interesting for the starting props selection. My instinct is to bring Blair from the bench for Thaiday. Blair is a serious impact player (wherever he starts actually).

I reckon Kahu and Copley would make a killer centre pairing, even though my heart says Oates in the centres. As for Reed, I am assuming he will be out for some time next year. When he gets fit, I'm sure he will return to the centres, but then that depends on how well Copley and Kahu would perform if picked there. I don't think under Bennett, any player can lay claim to a mortgage on any position for next year at this point in time, with maybe Blair, Milford, Boyd, Hunt and Parker the exceptions.

Anyway, on what I understand is the roster atm, I'd go for:

Boyd
Oates
Kahu
Copley
Anderson
Milford
Hunt
Thaiday
Macca
Blair
Glenn
Gillett
Parker

McGuire
Offa
Wallace
KNik

Last edited:
Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
I'm all for an Oates, Kahu, Copley, Anderson back four. So much speed + attack capabilities. Copley at right centre too (not sure why everyone wants him at left). Has killer step back in off his right

With the full-strength prop rotation, it really is a toss-up between benching either Blair or Thaiday. If forced to choose, Thaiday. Regardless, it'll be nice to have one quality experienced player on there to instead of a Wallace/Joffa/Molo (formerly Dodds) combo

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
“Jordan will fill in for Jack,” he said. “He’s our Mr Fixit in many ways, he can play centre, fullback, five-eighth, wing, we need a guy like that and Jordan fits the bill there.

“I was so proud that he made the New Zealand team after everything he has been through with his injuries.
“He is very talented and multiskilled, there’s a number of positions he can play. He is fearless as well and that’s one thing I like about Jordan.
“If we don’t have Jack for the first few rounds, Jordan can do the job there.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...r-reconstruction/story-fniabm4i-1227583124002

Confirmation that Bennett views JK as a winger for 2016?

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
1. Boyd
2. Kahu
3. Copley
4. Reed
5. Oates
6. Milf
7. Hunt
8. McG
9. McC
10. Thaiday
11. Gillett
12. Blair
13. Parker

14. Nikorima
15. Joe O
16. Wallace
17. Glenn

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2013
It's the old Panthers fullback dilemma. As a FB Gordon>Coote. But 1. Gordon 5. Coote < 1. Coote 5. Gordon.

Reed is first choice centre. People can disagree on whether that should be the case but I don't see a convincing argument that Bennett prefers another centre to Reed. Kahu, based on 2015, is probably a better centre to start 2016 than Copley. But Kahu is also our best winger, and the gap between Kahu and the next best centre (excluding Reed) is dwarfed by the gap between Kahu and the next best winger (excluding Oates). Without additions to the roster I think it's always been Bennett's intention to play 2. Oates 3. Reed 4. Copley 5. Kahu and Copley being 18th man instead of Maranta shows that.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
As a FB Gordon>Coote.

Can't agree with that at all. Gordon has been a rubbish fullback for most of his career there. He did have a pretty good purple patch there at one stage, but he was never as good as Coote. And I don't think Coote is even that good either...Moylan is far better than both.

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2013
Can't agree with that at all. Gordon has been a rubbish fullback for most of his career there. He did have a pretty good purple patch there at one stage, but he was never as good as Coote. And I don't think Coote is even that good either...Moylan is far better than both.
I'm referring to the period when the Panthers had this dilemma, which was about 5 years ago now. During this time Gordon only played FB when Coote was injured, and was outstanding every time he did. Gordon has only been crap at the back since moving to the Sharks and in his last year at the Panthers.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I'm referring to the period when the Panthers had this dilemma, which was about 5 years ago now. During this time Gordon only played FB when Coote was injured, and was outstanding every time he did. Gordon has only been crap at the back since moving to the Sharks and in his last year at the Panthers.

I thought it was pretty clear what you were referring to.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011

Gordon had a pretty good 2013 season, I think he won Player of the year for them and was in contention for Origin going of memory. He only played 7 games in 2012 and in total only played 16 games for them in his last 2 years there as he was injured pretty much the whole time.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
Honestly more disappointed hodgo didn't get to 100 than I am about the loss. Mind you if he scored in the gf we would have won as well. The problem if hunt is playing first receiver and Milford is playing locked down on the left. He needs to put hunt in position every once in a while. They should also get blair/parker/thaiday in first receiver on the right and pass it out wider to hunt like we were last year some times.
Sounds like you pretty much want Hunt to play 5/8.

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2013
Gordon had a pretty good 2013 season, I think he won Player of the year for them and was in contention for Origin going of memory. He only played 7 games in 2012 and in total only played 16 games for them in his last 2 years there as he was injured pretty much the whole time.
Yeah I definitely shouldn't have said he was crap in his last year for the Panthers - that was a big overstatement. There was a drop-off from his form in the prior two years but that form was never going to be sustainable over a full season anyway.

Back on topic: With pretty much all our fringe players moving on I think our 17 is pretty much settled for the time being. Maranta and Molo are the 18 and 19. Arrow and Anderson probably get top 25 spots though I don't think Ese'ese and Timu will. I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign 2-4 depth players with NRL experience before next year kicks off.

For shits'n'gigs

Origin affected Broncos if everyone is fully fit:

1. Kahu
2. Maranta
3. Reed
4. Copley
5. Anderson
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. Blair
9. McCullough
10. Wallace
11. Glenn
12. Oates
13. Arrow
14. Nikorima
15. Boyce
16. Ofahengaue
17. Fai

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
Yeah I definitely shouldn't have said he was crap in his last year for the Panthers - that was a big overstatement. There was a drop-off from his form in the prior two years but that form was never going to be sustainable over a full season anyway.

Back on topic: With pretty much all our fringe players moving on I think our 17 is pretty much settled for the time being. Maranta and Molo are the 18 and 19. Arrow and Anderson probably get top 25 spots though I don't think Ese'ese and Timu will. I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign 2-4 depth players with NRL experience before next year kicks off.

For shits'n'gigs

Origin affected Broncos if everyone is fully fit:

1. Kahu
2. Maranta
3. Reed
4. Copley
5. Anderson
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. Blair
9. McCullough
10. Wallace
11. Glenn
12. Oates
13. Arrow
14. Nikorima
15. Boyce
16. Ofahengaue
17. Fai
Fai over molo?

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
Maybe Mcguire won't get an origin start next year

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Wayne Bennet has named Copley as replacement for Hodges

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Based of that the backline next year should be

1: Boyd
2: Oates
3: Reed
4: Copley
5: Kahu
6: Milford
7: Hunt

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
BRONCOS coach Wayne Bennett has declared Dale Copley’s “time has come” after formally installing him as the centre successor to retired skipper Justin Hodges.
The Courier-Mail can reveal Copley will wear Hodges’ coveted No. 4 jumper next season — giving the luckless three-quarter a ray of hope after a nightmare 2015 campaign at the Broncos.
Boom utility Jordan Kahu was a frontline contender to succeed Hodges after an outstanding season in which he played a grand final and won selection in New Zealand’s Test squad.
But Bennett confirmed Copley will start at right centre next season, which shapes as a crucial year for the 24-year-old, who is off-contract at the end of 2016.
Copley fell out of favour last season, due largely to a series of injuries which restricted him to just nine NRL appearances, but Bennett says the classy flyer’s patient wait is over.
“Dale Copley is Justin Hodges’ replacement. I’ve made my mind up, Dale will be in Justin’s position next year,” Bennett said.

“His time has come, there is no more waiting for Dale. Jack Reed will be on one side (at centre) and Dale will be on the other.
“Dale needed to know he had a career at this club and a future here. I have told him he will be replacing ‘Hodgo’ and that’s reassuring for him.
“Now that he knows it’s his position, he will have the opportunity, it’s up to him to make sure he keeps the position until he wants to retire.”

Currently holidaying in America, Copley was dubbed a future Queensland Origin star after emerging as a tryscoring machine in the Broncos’ under-20s ranks.
Quick and strong, Copley is rated one of Brisbane’s most exciting attacking weapons, having scored 31 tries in 72 games since his NRL debut in 2009.
He was Brisbane’s leading tryscorer in 2014, crossing 16 times in 25 games, but lost ground to Kahu, Jack Reed and Lachlan Maranta last season due to calf and hamstring problems.
There were fears for Copley’s future when he languished with Norths Devils in the Intrust Super Cup, but Bennett praised the Aspley junior’s attitude during a turbulent period.
“Dale has done well this year actually,” he said.
“It was a difficult year for him, he is a talented player but for one reason or another the opportunities didn’t come for him on a regular basis.
“His attitude was great all the way through. It was important for him to know he had a future at the club and that his time out of the team was only a short-term situation.
“Long term, I always saw Dale as being a key part of our team.
“I hope he’s a better centre than he was a winger. He was a very good winger but I hope he is even better as a centre because that’s where he is heading.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...586610864?sv=608407b5084651c342464e38e8bf7e08

A real vote of confidence from Bennett.

What I find interesting about this article is how quick Bennett is to anoint Copley. In scenarios like this, sometimes coaches like to see where the cards fall but Bennett has seemingly made up his mind. I'm not sure if it's a great tactic in general as you can fall in love with a set 17, preventing you from making necessary changes but in this case I agree with Wayne 100%.

Last edited by a moderator:

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.