2016 Strongest Line-Up

For the first time since the Grand Final, I watched a Broncos game. The semi against the Roosters from this year, to be specific.

Jesus, this team is good. When you consider that the only players from that squad who have left are Hodgo and Dodds, this team is only going to get better.

Look at Kahu, Copley, Oates, Milford, Hunt, Wallace, Ofa and Kodi - all young fellas who are still yet to gel together and fully develop. I for one am buzzing at the prospect of Bennett getting the most out of these guys, especially Hunt and Milford.

Get those special, young halves playing behind a quality forward pack for the next ten years and there won't be a trophy cabinet big enough for us.

For the first time since the 4th of October, I'm over the heartbreak. Keep your heads up guys, because we're only going to get better from here.

Aaron Whitchurch fighting for his NRL future | NRL | Zero Tackle

Forgotten utility Aaron Whitchurch says he has a point to prove to super coach Wayne Bennett over the demotion that has left him fighting for his career at the Broncos.

If there was any doubt over Whitchurch’s desire to resurrect his NRL career, it was swept away on Tuesday as the 23-year-old powered through his second day of Brisbane’s pre-season.

“I’m keen to prove a point that I can play NRL at the Broncos,” said Whitchurch, who spent most of the 2015 season languishing at feeder club Redcliffe in the Intrust Super Cup.

Whitchurch has sufficient incentive to perform. The rugged utility is off-contract next year and is determined not to be jettisoned from the Broncos for the second time in his career.

NRL teams 2016: Brisbane Broncos list analysis

HOW do you bounce back from such devastation?

The Broncos felt the ultimate grand final heartbreak in the thrilling 17-16 loss to the Cowboys.

They couldn’t believe what happened as Kyle Feldt scored after the siren and Johnathan Thurston potted a historic golden point field goal.

It would have been a long eight weeks for the Broncos to mull over the opportunity they missed.

Just how Wayne Bennett’s troops rebound from that game could hold the key to their fortunes in 2016.

Bennett has retained the bulk of his squad which did so well in 2015.

Captain Justin Hodges has retired after a stellar career along with statesman David Stagg while grand final prop Mitchell Dodds has headed to Warrington.

The Broncos haven’t been active in the player market but they left a lot of last season’s recruitment until late with Adam Blair and Darius Boyd joining the squad during the pre-season.

Brisbane has lost some quality players in young playmakers Ashley Taylor (Titans) and Jayden Nikorima (Roosters) but they have a handy halves pairing in Anthony Milford and Ben Hunt who should improve further in 2016.

Ipswich Jets fullback Carlin Anderson is a real talent while forward Caleb Timu had huge raps before he embarked on a Mormon mission two years ago.

Young lock Jair Arrow is a star on the rise along with Keegan Hipgrave and Jayden Berrell.

Bennett will be comfortable with the squad he has. They were incredibly stoic in 2015 and will have learned plenty from the grand final loss.

STRENGTHS

The Broncos have an outstanding spine.

Boyd is a representative fullback, Andrew McCullough is incredibly consistent and young halves Hunt and Milford have endless talent.

Their combinations are only going to improve, especially as Boyd missed the first half of the season with an achilles injury.

The back-row of Corey Parker, Matt Gillett and Alex Glenn is one of the best in the NRL while Joe Ofahengaue had a great debut season.

WEAKNESSES

The jury is still out on Dale Copley as a centre.

Bennett has earmarked Copley as Hodges’ replacement but they are big shoes to try and fill. His career has been stalled by injuries and he needs a big pre-season to kick off 2016 in solid fashion.

A season-ending injury to Josh McGuire put a dent in their front row stocks and Dodds’ departure has left another hole.

Sam Thaiday and Blair had a great starting combination this year and McGuire’s return will be a big boost but they need another few props to show some improvement alongside Jarrod Wallace.

THE DILEMMA

Who will captain the Broncos next season?

Skippering the NRL’s glamour club is no easy job. Hodges did well for one season and Parker would be a great replacement given the maturity he’s shown in the twilight of his career.

Hunt, McCullough and Boyd are also contenders but are they ready for the role?

PREDICTED FINISH

Top 4

The Broncos weren’t supposed to do as well as they did in 2015. It was Bennett’s first year back in charge and there were some new faces in key positions.

But they’ve set a standard now and need to improve further to bring the club home its seventh title.

LIST CHANGES

Ins: Carlin Anderson (Ipswich), Caleb Timu (Mormon mission)

Outs: Justin Hodges (retired), Todd Lowrie (retired), Ashley Taylor (Gold Coast Titans), Mitch Garbutt (Leeds), Matt Parcell (Manly), Mitchell Dodds (Warrington), Jayden Nikorima (Roosters), David Stagg (retired), Jordan Drew (Cronulla), Daniel Vidot (Salford)

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/fecf9ebec28719d49f4afa1e1baea11e

Last edited:
The name Kyle Feldt actually just triggered me, the second I read that name I get flash backs, make it stop

Hypothetically -

1. Boyd
2. Oates / Anderson / Maranta
3. Copley / Reed
4. Roberts
5. Kahu
6. Milford
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Nikorima
15. Thaiday
16. Wallace
17. Ofahengaue / Molo

post-42395-american-pie-jim-and-nadia-gif-a4Do.gif

I hope we get Roberts ... A backline of:

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Copley
4. Roberts
5. Kahu
6. Milford
7. Hunt

Would be jizz-worthy. They would have so many points in them.

Yes ... Copley and Roberts are both good for a few errors. But given some consistency and some confidence, I think we'll get the best out of them. And there is no better coach to instil confidence in his players than ... Wayne Bennett

A left edge of Milford and Roberts just screams points, doesn't it? For the opposition..

A left edge of Milford and Roberts just screams points, doesn't it? For the opposition..

It'll be exactly the same as the season just past, Reed isn't as good defensively as people claim, he makes some good reads and then other times he just gets beaten for speed and leaks points regardless.. At least Roberts will be able to keep up with everyone, not to mention with our defensive system he should be just fine, he certainly won't be worse overall than Reed.

Edit: It's worth noting that he'll probably be on the right side of the field anyway, taking Hodges spot, which is his natural side.

I like the idea of Roberts, I do. But realistically, our side is proven, and I can't see Bennett ousting one of our mainstays in his favour.

That aside, I'd say there are other clubs with more need and more dollars in the cap to play with.

Nice pipe dream, but I can't see it happening.

It'll be exactly the same as the season just past, Reed isn't as good defensively as people claim, he makes some good reads and then other times he just gets beaten for speed and leaks points regardless.. At least Roberts will be able to keep up with everyone, not to mention with our defensive system he should be just fine, he certainly won't be worse overall than Reed.

Edit: It's worth noting that he'll probably be on the right side of the field anyway, taking Hodges spot, which is his natural side.

Reed stopped a lot of tries this year. You guys just remember the ones he didn't make. Reed also plays a huge part in attack. One would just have to watch our 2015 highlight reel to see how involved he was in a lot of the tries we scored this season.

Reed stopped a lot of tries this year. You guys just remember the ones he didn't make. Reed also plays a huge part in attack. One would just have to watch our 2015 highlight reel to see how involved he was in a lot of the tries we scored this season.

I don't need to watch a highlight reel, I watched every game.

I am aware he had some good games, it was probably his best season for the last 2-3 years easily.. But the fact remains that he's just not a very good overall player.

Why are people quick to dump Reed and leave Copley there?

I mean, I hate the ranger douche, but ti suggest he's not good enough to be in the team, and better than Copley, **** me. Mental.

Well. Turns out there was another page discussing that. I'll just go and sit over there.

Yeah 100%, it's just agendas mate so don't sweat it.

I don't need to watch a highlight reel, I watched every game.

I am aware he had some good games, it was probably his best season for the last 2-3 years easily.. But the fact remains that he's just not a very good overall player.

He is a good overall player, he just isn't flashy or this superstar that some people seem to think copley is.

Active Now

• lynx000
  • BooKhaki
  • Financeguy
  • Alec
  • GCBRONCO
  • Waynesaurus
  • thenry
  • johnny plath
  • mrslong
  • Midean
  • Bucking Beads
  • Nerd
  • Justwin
  • Strop
  • The Strapper
  • Jedhead
  • The Don
  • Wolfie
  • broncs30
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.