2017 Line-up

Who's going to be lock next season replacing parker?

Gillet can play there he has before.
Arrow could be a suggestion as well but someone more experience would be good.

Suggestions?

I think we need to put an experienced player there like gillett to begin with n build pangai into our lock to be our taumalolo

I would suggest Blair or McGuire. Both have good endurance and used to working the middle of the field. Blair offers a bit more versatility with an excellent offload, while McGuire has a bit more punch in his runs.

I've seen a bit of posting lately about Glenn as a possibility but that's just silly IMO. He's been excellent off the bench on account of his acceleration /footwork against tired defenders. He would get drilled working at lock, it just doesn't cater to his strengths.

You really think Newcastle could beat anyone?

Either way it would be far more competitive. Wouldn't happen though, imagine the rage from the SL. They send their best, we send our worst haha

I think the Knights would go ok. I wouldn't expect them to dominate but they'd chalk up some wins.

They have some talented players, particularly in the backs, it's their lack of play making nous and (most critically) resilience that fails them.

Super League isn't as defensive orientated as the majority of the NRL. I think they'd score enough points to be competitive where top NRL teams would usually strangle them out of the contest.

Why can't we at least give Arrow first shot next year? It's not like there aren't other options if he fails. I want us to start trusting some of these young forwards.

All we really need is Napa. We have everything else we need (aside from an organizing half but that will have to wait), we just have to put them all in their right positions.

I would suggest Blair or McGuire. Both have good endurance and used to working the middle of the field. Blair offers a bit more versatility with an excellent offload, while McGuire has a bit more punch in his runs.

I've seen a bit of posting lately about Glenn as a possibility but that's just silly IMO. He's been excellent off the bench on account of his acceleration /footwork against tired defenders. He would get drilled working at lock, it just doesn't cater to his strengths.

I disagree. I think our front row will be too inexperienced if we take Blair or McGuire out of it. Even if we pick up someone like Napa.

I'm one of the people who think Glenn might be our best option at lock. Thaiday and Gillett finished the year strongly on the fringe. Why change something that works? Plus he will hardly get any minutes off the bench.

Yes Glenn is playing great off the bench, but he also played great starting aswell, although that was in the 2nd row. He has added alot of size and strength in the last year and this has been why he played in the middle at the end of the year. I think he is the most reasonable option. Next option would be Gillett at lock and Glenn in the seccond row, however im hesitent to disrupt the defensive structure Gillett adds on that edge.

Arrow, TPJ, Offa need more time. Any of them could potentially be a starter by the end of the year though.

The way I'm looking at it is whats the best option for the team? Pretty much any of our forwards could play lock. However you don't want to weaken one position just to have the best option at lock.

Last edited:
Arrow I'm not convinced by him he has no offload or step from watching him in the u/20s he would only b a battering ram n tackler we need more out of our lock in attack

Arrow I'm not convinced by him he has no offload or step from watching him in the u/20s he would only b a battering ram n tackler we need more out of our lock in attack

It's all we got out of Parker this last year. His offloads dried up and he never had a step. IMO Arrow slots straight in to the #13. He's had his taste of first grade, this pre-season he'll be whipped up to play big minutes.

It's all we got out of Parker this last year. His offloads dried up and he never had a step. IMO Arrow slots straight in to the #13. He's had his taste of first grade, this pre-season he'll be whipped up to play big minutes.

Not sure what is happening with our club. Parker had to play off the bench for years before he got the fulltime lock gig. His replacement is someone virtually straight out of 20's who has played a handful of games off the bench and seems like the best option we have...

Where the hell are all our forwards? We have to run two backrower sized guys in our front row and have to pick a lock almost virtually out of 20's...

Not sure what is happening with our club. Parker had to play off the bench for years before he got the fulltime lock gig. His replacement is someone virtually straight out of 20's who has played a handful of games off the bench and seems like the best option we have...

Where the hell are all our forwards? We have to run two backrower sized guys in our front row and have to pick a lock almost virtually out of 20's...

Parker was a bench prop stuck behind Petero & Webcke. The back-row at the time had Carroll, Thorn, Carlaw, Thaiday etc. These guys were all rep players and mainstays from the late '90s, (except Carlaw, '00, and Thaiday, '03). That's a hard pack to break in to.

Remember Gillett came in and owned a starting spot straight away. All about timing.

Since Webcke and Civo left our props dept has been shithouse.
The issue hasn't gone unnoticed and we finally have some talent coming through but the gap we're seeing between experienced players and newbies is massive...

Since Webcke and Civo left our props dept has been shithouse.
The issue hasn't gone unnoticed and we finally have some talent coming through but the gap we're seeing between experienced players and newbies is massive...

Since Webcke and Civo left props have been shit.

I think we are well enough stocked in the forward next season to do well.

Last edited:
Players currently signed for 2017, showing the options available for each position (using Zero Tackle as a guide).

Players that are in more than one position category will be highlighted red.

Fullback:

- Darius Boyd

- Jordan Kahu

- David Mead

Wing:

- Jordan Kahu

- Corey Oates

- David Mead

- Jonus Pearson

Centre:

- James Roberts

- Jordan Kahu

- Tom Opacic

- Marion Seve

- Moses Pangai

Five-eight:

- Anthony Milford

- Kodi Nikorima

Halfback:

- Ben Hunt

- Sam Scarlett

Hooker:

- Andrew McCullough

- Kodi Nikorima

Prop:

- Adam Blair

- Josh McGuire

- Herman Ese'ese

- Tevita Pangai Junior

- Joe Ofahengaue

- George Fai

- Salesi Funaki

Second Row:

- Matt Gillett

- Sam Thaiday

- Jaydn Su'A

- Alex Glenn

- Salesi Funaki

- Corey Oates

Lock:

- Josh McGuire

- Adam Blair

- Herman Ese'ese

- Matt Gillett

- Alex Glenn

- Tevita Pangai Junior

- Jaydn Su'A

- Jai Arrow

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Foordy
  • broncos4life
  • Xzei
  • pennywisealfie
  • Mister Wright
  • Broncosarethebest
  • LittleDavey
  • Galah
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Mustafur
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Sproj
  • Ozired
  • davidp
  • westy316
  • MrTickyMcG
  • bb_gun
  • Allo
  • Locky's Left Boot
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.