2017 Line-up

N

_noosh

NYC Player
Oct 3, 2016
Oates to centre is not that radical, some of us have suggested it before and some of us have often said that we feel he should play out his career in the backs. I too believe he should be a centre, as other have said, he has a lot of Gene Miles about him.

I don't know why I thought the idea hadn't been made previously. :rolleyes:

If it does work, it would solve a few of the problems with our line-up imo

austin71

austin71

NRL Player
Apr 21, 2013
Id be a little concerned if we lost Hunt and replaced him with Lolohea.. That would mean

6.Lolohea
7.Milf

We are already struggling with onfield game management. Would only make things worse Imo.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
If it turns out that Oates can pass, and not just tuck the ball under his arm, I think him playing centre could be a great idea.

What about defence ? His mistakes reading under pressure leave a bit to be desired.

Mitchell_Broncos

Mitchell_Broncos

NRL Player
Jun 21, 2016
What about defence ? His mistakes reading under pressure leave a bit to be desired.

He is a bit rusty when it comes to 5th and last and someone kicks it into the in goal and he has to either pick it up or knock it out but a bit of training on that and he should be right

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Is Oates capable of throwing a good pass under pressure?

Mitchell_Broncos

Mitchell_Broncos

NRL Player
Jun 21, 2016
Is Oates capable of throwing a good pass under pressure?

I have never really seen him as the man to do fancy passes or just pass in general, he mainly just gets passed and scores or kicks, I have seen him kick twice in the pass and that is for Milford to score and he mainly just runs it up so instead of chucking him in centre chuck him back in his old position 'Second Row'.

I cant see him being the man for centre to pass.

N

_noosh

NYC Player
Oct 3, 2016
I have never really seen him as the man to do fancy passes or just pass in general, he mainly just gets passed and scores or kicks, I have seen him kick twice in the pass and that is for Milford to score and he mainly just runs it up so instead of chucking him in centre chuck him back in his old position 'Second Row'.

I cant see him being the man for centre to pass.

Yeah true. We have seen nothing of his passing game so there's a chance he doesn't have any. Although, we don't see much passing from wingers anyway.

I still think it's worthy of a shot, especially if Opacic will miss the first few games anyway. I can't see Oates being moved into the second row this coming year, even with his flaky games recently. Especially because I can't see him getting a spot over the other Second Row contenders we have at the moment, and I doubt he'd be dropped completely.

If his defence is strong, and his passing game isn't bad, with him as left centre our lineup would be much stronger as a whole imo.

Tunza's Chin

Tunza's Chin

QCup Player
Apr 17, 2016
A well thought out argument re Oates at centre.

However personally I don't want Oates at centre. I think acceleration and good hands are the most important attributes for a centre attacking wise. In defence lateral movement, decision making and communication - the last two go hand in hand.

Oates strengths don't lie in any of those areas. His size is nice and he'd stop anyone running straight, and do well doing the same in attack. But they are more suitable attributes for an edge forward then a centre.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I've done a 180 on Oates. For two reasons. One, if his injury concerns are genuine, we'll likely get 4-5 years extra out of him on the wings. And two, because he offers more as a big tall winger who can run fast and finish than a back-rower who can run fast and finish. For mine, he brings everything that we benefited from with Vidot - the crucial starts to the sets dragging 3-4 defenders - plus genuine speed and the ability to finish with the best of them. He's got some over the line in the corner that you'd expect someone half his size to bomb.

It's the same argument I had 5 years ago when Idris was carving up at centre. "Move him to the back-row, he's big enough" was the call. But why? There are plenty of back-rowers who can fit the criteria of having decent size and the ability to run hard. Why limit someone to such a narrow criteria when they have so much more to offer? Why run someone regularly against 2-3 defenders and make them do 20 - 30 tackles when they can be utilised one-on-one against generally smaller opposition and steamroll/fend/outrun them? If they can handle the increased short-burst intricacies, such as lateral movement in defence against fast opponents, the ability to turn and chase, and be safe under the high ball, there is far more value in sharpening the broadsword and using it to slice through than blunting it and trying to use it as a battering ram.

01 Boyd
02 Oates
03 Kahu
04 Roberts
05 Mead / Pearson

is what I would run with until Opacic is healthy. It means we don't have to rush him back and end up with Jack Reed 2.0. Let him get 110% and warm him up in Q-Cup, then he can try to force his way in to the side.

J

jamesqld

NYC Player
Jun 6, 2013
I've done a 180 on Oates. For two reasons. One, if his injury concerns are genuine, we'll likely get 4-5 years extra out of him on the wings. And two, because he offers more as a big tall winger who can run fast and finish than a back-rower who can run fast and finish. For mine, he brings everything that we benefited from with Vidot - the crucial starts to the sets dragging 3-4 defenders - plus genuine speed and the ability to finish with the best of them. He's got some over the line in the corner that you'd expect someone half his size to bomb.

It's the same argument I had 5 years ago when Idris was carving up at centre. "Move him to the back-row, he's big enough" was the call. But why? There are plenty of back-rowers who can fit the criteria of having decent size and the ability to run hard. Why limit someone to such a narrow criteria when they have so much more to offer? Why run someone regularly against 2-3 defenders and make them do 20 - 30 tackles when they can be utilised one-on-one against generally smaller opposition and steamroll/fend/outrun them? If they can handle the increased short-burst intricacies, such as lateral movement in defence against fast opponents, the ability to turn and chase, and be safe under the high ball, there is far more value in sharpening the broadsword and using it to slice through than blunting it and trying to use it as a battering ram.

01 Boyd
02 Oates
03 Kahu
04 Roberts
05 Mead / Pearson

is what I would run with until Opacic is healthy. It means we don't have to rush him back and end up with Jack Reed 2.0. Let him get 110% and warm him up in Q-Cup, then he can try to force his way in to the side.

This basically sums up my thoughts.

It will be good having a bit of healthy competition in the backs next year.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
The only problem with Oates on the wing is that he has feet for hands. You can count on him dropping the ball from a kick at least once a game.

P

Pushkin

QCup Player
May 27, 2016
So total 5 players select for four nation. Do anyone knows Broncos gone play World Club series next year?

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
So total 5 players select for four nation. Do anyone knows Broncos gone play World Club series next year?

No we are not. We didn't place high enough this year.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
I think you'll find we go despite where we finished.

I'm pretty sure it is 1st, 2nd and 3rd who go now, not just anyone who wants to...

Anyway it is better we don't no one so far has gone over there in the pre-season and come back and won the premiership.

We just need to rest up and get ready for the long season ahead.

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
Didn't matter the first year. We just scraped into the 8 and the Dragons weren't even in it.

Active Now

• BruiserMk1
  • Hoof Hearted
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Bucking Beads
  • Foordy
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Tim K
  • broncoscope
  • Jedhead
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • lakers133334
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.