2017 Line-up

One of the things that I am basing my opinion around is that both Smokin Joe and talanoa have said that Ese'ese is smashing pre-season and therefor he must be impressing the coach.

I think Ese'ese can be awesome of the bench , especially after the first 20 . And also as a 1..2.. punch with pangai jr !!!

Someone said Dodds is already hurt and it would be hard for him to even get in the 17.

I always thought BigJoe had and still has plenty of potential. We don't have the luxury of experience Props, so start him and see how much he wants it.

It is a very big risk to start a player (especially a forward) who isn't ready.

While undoubtedly some players will swim, even thrive on being thrown in the deep end ... many many players sink to the bottom and never recover.

If our young players aren't ready for the responsibility of starting in 2017, then our best option, IMO, is to find an experienced prop in the ISC as a stop gap solution until either or young props are ready or we can pick up the prop we need on the market for 2018.

That way we are not potentially hurting the career of our young forwards

It is a very big risk to start a player (especially a forward) who isn't ready.

While undoubtedly some players will swim, even thrive on being thrown in the deep end ... many many players sink to the bottom and never recover.

If our young players aren't ready for the responsibility of starting in 2017, then our best option, IMO, is to find an experienced prop in the ISC as a stop gap solution until either or young props are ready or we can pick up the prop we need on the market for 2018.

That way we are not potentially hurting the career of our young forwards

So your saying your solution is better than bennetts ? I also think we are light up front but it seems Wayne is comfortable with his roster.

Last edited:
I think if Ofa is training well he will do fine starting. He's played in the middle during the Samoa and Tonga matches and they start pretty brutal. I just hope he doesn't get lazy.

So @Foordy if it was up to you, you'd rather have Sam Anderson (the most experienced ISC affilate available) over Ofahengaue & Ese'ese?

the problem with offa is his defense, he isnt the type of player that hits hard or puts the opposition on their rear end. he often gets pushed back on his heels when he goes into the tackle.

he does a lot of work no doubt, but i dont see him as a starting option. maybe the type of player that will play more of a bench/cover role in his career as required

on a total separate piece, i think su'a just extended or has agreed to another 2 or 3 years ( not sure if it has been posted elsewhere yet or not) he has been locked in as one of the edge players.

the problem with offa is his defense, he isnt the type of player that hits hard or puts the opposition on their rear end. he often gets pushed back on his heels when he goes into the tackle.

he does a lot of work no doubt, but i dont see him as a starting option. maybe the type of player that will play more of a bench/cover role in his career as required

on a total separate piece, i think su'a just extended or has agreed to another 2 or 3 years ( not sure if it has been posted elsewhere yet or not) he has been locked in as one of the edge players.

Are we talking in the immediate future, or down the road?

it wont be far away, not saying this year but the chess pieces are in motion.

Well Thaiday has said his last year will be 2018, so Su'A he will probably have to wait to get a starting position until 2019 I guess.

Benji Marshall isn't really going to play left centre is he?

We all agree we want another big man, but if my memory is correct there are only 6 interchanges this year so the endurance forwards will more valuable the longer the games go

We all agree we want another big man, but if my memory is correct there are only 6 interchanges this year so the endurance forwards will more valuable the longer the games go

They were talking about going to 6 interchanges this year, but it is not happening for now.

There will be 8 interchanges in the 2017 pre-season.

dont be surprised to see lodge before the season is out (pending registration). i know the powers at be are still working to register an nrl contract. if and whem that happens bennett will bring him straight in

I actually like the idea of Ofahengaue in the starting line-up. As it's been mentioned, he's not exactly a big hitter in defence which is probably his biggest weakness, but what he can do is play relatively long stints and make 10+ metres per run, which is precisely what we need from our 3rd forward if the other 2 starters are McGuire & Blair, who are more than capable of doing the dirty work defensively with McCullough at the start of the game.

I rate Ofahengaue as a similar prospect to Arrow, I think Jai probably has the advantage of being a better defender, but Ofahengaue is a bigger body who has more experience in the NRL and has been waiting for a proper opportunity a little longer, I'm excited at the prospect honestly, can't wait to see how it pans out if he does start.

Another advantage of starting Ofahengaue is that it allows us to play our 2 impact props off the bench in short stints, this is what I would call the "likely" 17 if this comes to fruition.

1. Darius Boyd (c)
2. Corey Oates
3. Jordan Kahu
4. James Roberts
5. David Mead
6. Anthony Milford
7. Ben Hunt
8. Joe Ofahengaue
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Adam Blair
11. Sam Thaiday
12. Matt Gillett
13. Josh McGuire

14. Tevita Pangai Junior
15. Herman Ese'ese
16. Alex Glenn
17. Benji Marshall

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Wolfie
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Mr Fourex
  • NSW stables
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Bucking Beads
  • GCBRONCO
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • Fozz
  • Johnny92
  • Midean
  • kiwi2
  • Lurker
  • Volvo Driver
  • peter09
  • Xzei
  • broncos4life
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.