2017 Line-Ups

Daniel Alvaro (...I don't think he really qualifies, but if he gets in under the Korbin Sims rule then sure)

He played for QLD 18's before the rule change, so he would qualify.

If he hadn't, he would only be eligible for the Blues.

Last edited:
As long as a two or three forwards can emerge in the next twelve months, it shouldn't be too big a problem. There's a few exciting prospects in the 20s who have a nice future in-front of them but it's too early to call them Origin contenders.

Players to keep an eye on...

Lloyd Perrett
Luke Bateman
Jayson Bukuya
Korbin Sims
Daniel Alvaro (...I don't think he really qualifies, but if he gets in under the Korbin Sims rule then sure)
Chris Grevsmuhl
Ethan Lowe
Joe Ofahengaue
Dylan Napa

I'll probably sound like a troll here but based on this years form, Jarrod Wallace should be ahead of all of them except Lowe and Napa.

Not sure if Bukuya is really one to keep an eye on, he'll be 28 by next years Origin series.. I suppose it's possible he could have a late rise similar to Lillyman did.

It depends on Bukuya's form. If he can maintain and even build on his it, he could be a decent backrow option, a position that the Maroons are sorely lacking.

If it's about picking players to build around for the next five years, then it's completely different. That's when the likes of Hess, Su'A, Hipgrave etc. come into frame.

Cult3 said:
I'll probably sound like a troll here but based on this years form

Nah, it's a fair shout. I just see more in the other players. That's why I didn't name Glasby either, they're in the reckoning on the fringe but I don't see them having stellar Origin careers.

Glasby, Sims and Bukuya have had better 2016s as well.

Last edited:
As long as a two or three forwards can emerge in the next twelve months, it shouldn't be too big a problem. There's a few exciting prospects in the 20s who have a nice future in-front of them but it's too early to call them Origin contenders.

Players to keep an eye on...

Lloyd Perrett
Luke Bateman
Jayson Bukuya
Korbin Sims
Chris Grevsmuhl
Ethan Lowe
Joe Ofahengaue
Dylan Napa

How you could have alvaro on the list and not Wallace is beyond me.

How you could have alvaro on the list and not Wallace is beyond me.

If you believe Wallace is good enough, it's no skin off my nose.

However, when Alvaro has been given an opportunity he has taken it with both hands. He's been a real shining light for Parramatta across the past two years.

Even if Hayne returns to the NRL, there's really no reason to think he will be a walk up start

Then again, Lozza's in charge, so perhaps there is, but there really shouldn't be an assumption he will be that good, that quickly after so much time off

If Hayne is back in the NRL and he is back to his best before Origin, I think he would walk straight in and NSW would be crazy not to pick him.

Hayne is both Moylan and Tedesco combined, and he is better than both of them combined.

I would like to see Tedesco come off the bench when the forwards are tired and given free roam. His speed off the mark, agility etc would put QLD on the back foot. Provided they give him quality ball.

Last edited:
Maroons

1 Billy Slater
2 Darius Boyd
3 Greg Inglis
4 Will Chambers
5 Dane Gagai
6 Johnathan Thurston
7 Cooper Cronk
8 Matthew Scott
9 Cameron Smith (c)
10 Nate Myles
11 Josh Papalii
12 Matt Gillett
13 Josh McGuire

14 Michael Morgan
15 Dylan Napa
16 Gavin Cooper
17 Jacob Lillyman

Team Changes: Billy Slater returns which sees Darius Boyd shift back to the wing with Corey Oates missing out while Will Chambers replaces Justin O'Neill at right centre. Josh McGuire is chosen to replace Corey Parker at Lock with Dylan Napa joining the bench. Josh Papalii returns from injury in place of Sam Thaiday. Michael Morgan also returns from injury in place of Aidan Guerra

Coach: Kevin Walters

Blues

1 James Tedesco
2 Brett Morris
3 Michael Jennings
4 Joseph Leilua
5 Josh Dugan
6 Matt Moylan
7 James Maloney
8 Aaron Woods (c)
9 Nathan Peats
10 Tyson Frizell
11 Boyd Cordner
12 Wade Graham
13 Trent Merrin

14 Jack Bird
15 James Tamou
16 David Klemmer
17 Jake Trbojevic

Team Changes: Brett Morris returns to the Origin arena in place of Joshua Mansour while Joseph Leilua replaces Blake Ferguson with Josh Dugan shifting to the wing. Tyson Frizell moves to Prop with Trent Merrin coming in at Lock. Boyd Cordner returns from injury in place of Josh Jackson. Nathan Peats replaces Robbie Farah at Hooker. Jake Trbojevic debuts via the bench in place of Andrew Fifita.

Coach: Lauire Daley

So now that Hayne is back in the NRL, this changes things for NSW.

1. Hayne
2. Mansour
3. Jennings
4. Bird
5. Morris
6. Maloney
7. Reynolds
8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Graham
12. Jackson
13. Frizell

14. Tedesco
15. Cordner
16. Fifita
17. Klemmer

Depends how Hayne plays honestly, I think I'd have Tedesco over him at the moment, but if he's at peak Hayne by mid season next year, they have to pick him at Fullback, if he's not, throw him in the Centres.

1. Tedesco
2. Mansour
3. Jennings
4. Hayne
5. B.Morris / Trbojevic
6. Maloney
7. Reynolds

I've been thinking that since Hayne is back in the NRL and it would be insane if he wasn't picked in the team Tedesco might not be out of place on the wing. Hayne needs to get his hands on the ball as much as possible and having him at fullback puts him in the playmaking role and combined with his running and power and defense that makes him the ideal candidate for the position.

I remember the 2004 series very clearly and the Maroons played Billy Slater on the wing when he was a fulltime fullback and he did quite well throughout the series and I can see Tedesco doing the same thing.

I think Hayne would go fantastic at center and that solves your Jennings problem. Tedesco is a far better fullback then Jennings is a center, put Hayne in there. If need be, give him a roving commission ala Hodges.

That said, as a Qld fan, I'd love for Tedesco to be picked on a wing, you completely negate his spark and he becomes another slightly better than average winger most likely.

All that said, Daley does love his fullbacks so you may well have a back line of:

1. Tedesco
2. Trollingtheinternetwithaswitch
3. Hayne
4. Dugan
5. Ferguson
6. Coote
7. Moylan

14. Johnston

Maroons

1 Billy Slater
2 Darius Boyd
3 Greg Inglis
4 Will Chambers
5 Dane Gagai
6 Johnathan Thurston
7 Cooper Cronk
8 Matthew Scott
9 Cameron Smith (c)
10 Nate Myles
11 Josh Papalii
12 Matt Gillett
13 Josh McGuire

14 Michael Morgan
15 Dylan Napa
16 Gavin Cooper
17 Jacob Lillyman

Team Changes: Billy Slater returns which sees Darius Boyd shift back to the wing with Corey Oates missing out while Will Chambers replaces Justin O'Neill at right centre. Josh McGuire is chosen to replace Corey Parker at Lock with Dylan Napa joining the bench. Josh Papalii returns from injury in place of Sam Thaiday. Michael Morgan also returns from injury in place of Aidan Guerra

Coach: Kevin Walters '

I'm not a fan of Slater coming back into the team, I think his time has passed. IMO he was struggling before his injuries, can't see how 2 seasons out will have helped him. I don't think that we're that needy in the backs either. I think leave Boyd at fullback, then Holmes, Oates, Gagai, and O'neill to fight out for the two wing spots. I think barring injury Chambers and Inglis is our best centres option, now and into the future. Cronk and Thurston to continue, but really need some halves to step up and become consistent to take over in the next year or two.

The forwards really do appear to be a worry for mine. Myles was shit last year and can't see him improving next, but we don't have any alternatives. We should have blooded Napa two years ago and he'd be starting in Myles place now. Cooper and Lillyman is a pretty ordinary bench rotation. Who is the next Gen of forwards coming through, I've had a look on the QRL website and its pretty slim pickings. Unless a few forwards really take to a new level going to be some tough times ahead.

Last edited:
Tickets go on sale in half an hour for members for all three Origins.

I was thinking the NSW players will have benefited and learned so much from playing with the likes of Smith, Thurston, Cronk, Inglis and Boyd that they could be a huge threat this year. Then i remembered they will more than likely be lead around the park by the likes of Pearce and Farah. I'm not so worried anymore :laugh:

Anyone else a little worried about Sterlo?

I think he is exactly what NSW and Daley needs.

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • Bish
  • Harry Sack
  • Fatboy
  • Foordy
  • Mister Wright
  • Robboi_321
  • Broncosgirl
  • broncos4life
  • jd87
  • Jedhead
  • Gaz
  • GCBRONCO
  • Jazza
  • Fitzy
  • sooticus
  • Morkel
  • Griffo
  • Sproj
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.