2017 Under 20's

Ok, im from the Dubbo area, and trust me when I say this having seen some decent NRL players come through the juniors in Peachey, Thompson, Ferguson, Yeo (etc), this kid has them all covered by a long shot. He dismantled some sides this year in group 11 all by himself. A lot of people that watched him play locally cant think of a player that dominated his age group just like he did in our area. He was playing first grade at 17 and standing out along the way. If Staggs keeps his head down, he will make the NRL of that I am sure.

Here are some highlights I found of him. He is in the 13 jersey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some highlights I found of him. He is in the 13 jersey.

he will need to grow considerably, he doesnt look overly tall.

also group 11 is prob the worst in nsw. i had a look at the highlights and he has some decent skill, but honestly, did you see the palookas in the nyngan team??

Last edited by a moderator:

also group 11 is prob the worst in nsw. i had a look at the highlights and he has some decent skill, but honestly, did you see the palookas in the nyngan team??

Yeah I did, I didn't really know the standard of the defence he was playing against, but thought he looked pretty decent with good speed, step and game awareness.

Your shitting me right? Its one of the strongest groups in the CRL.

Your shitting me right? Its one of the strongest groups in the CRL.

dead serious, last i looked there was only 8 teams going around and half of those struggled to field teams each week.

Last edited:
dead serious, last i looked there was only 8 teams going around and half of those struggled to field teams each week.

This year was one of the strongest for the group for the under 18s. Towns like Wello, Narromine and Nyngan normally struggle with the 18s but they had some decent teams this year. (and lets not forget some have a population of less than 5k). Then you have the strong Dubbo teams and that Forbes team always has two or three Toyota cup players in it (they have 3 going to Sydney next year). Add to the fact that the group side this year made the finals in the CRL championships, it wasn't as weak as you think. They hold their own year in year out in CRL.

Kirwan High star Julian Christian primed to make next level

KIRWAN State High School’s Julian Christian has achieved almost every accolade available in schoolboys rugby league, and now he is ready to take the next step.

Christian today leaves for the Brisbane Broncos after being crowned Kirwan’s Sam Thaiday Medal winner — the school’s award for rugby league player of the year — for a second year after earning the prestigious award in Kirwan’s victorious 2015 national campaign.

It is the first time a player has won the award twice and is a feat that even former Kirwan students such as Jason Taumalolo (Cowboys) and Nene Macdonald (Titans) did not achieve.

Christian’s win adds to the Peter Sterling Medal he won after being named player of the 2015 nationwide GIO Schoolboys Cup, and a handful of other individual accolades including player of the Aaron Payne Cup final and Matthew Bowen Nines’ player of the tournament.

Christian finished his final day of Year 12 yesterday and travels to Brisbane today ahead of pre-season training with the Broncos, where he will train to secure a starting spot in the club’s under-20s side.

“I’ve got a long way to go, but this is where I want to be at the moment,” Christian said
“There’s some mixed emotions because I’ll miss putting on this Kirwan jersey, and (Kirwan coach Dave) Ackers has taught us a lot.
“I don’t think I’ve ever come across a team like this and I’ll remember it forever.”

The elusive playmaker will start pre-season next week and will work with former Broncos, Queensland and Test player Justin Hodges, who will be an assistant coach with Brisbane’s under-20s.
Hodges and Christian share similar history, having grown up in Cairns before pursuing their footy dreams.
“He (Hodges) is someone I’ve always looked up to, especially coming from Cairns and being indigenous, so it will be a privilege to work with him and the others,’ Christian said.

In a sign of his humility, Christian handed his Kirwan No. 6 jersey back to Ackers following a photo with the Townsville Bulletin despite Ackers’ insistence that Christian keep it as a memento.
“His attitude is good and that’s half the battle, so he’ll definitely develop into a good footballer,” Ackers said.
“He’s part of a special group of players who are now leaving us, so there is a bit of sadness seeing them go.
“But we wish them all the best and we’ll be proud of them no matter where and how far they go with their footy.”

No Cookies | Townsville Bulletin

Last edited:
He sounds like a real potential star of the future what positions does he play. The 20's side is looking better each week.

[h=1]Brisbane Broncos under-20s signing Thane Kellermeyer out to make his own impact in rugby league[/h]
SOME of the biggest names in the history of rugby league are fullbacks but rising talent Thane Kellermeyer does not shape his game on any NRL stars before him.

“I want to be myself and play my own game,” the Woodridge State High School student said.
The Logan Brothers junior was recently signed by the Brisbane Broncos under-20s program, which he sees as another step towards his dream of playing in the NRL.

But unlike many other young prospects preparing for their shot at the big time, Thane does not idolise any stars to help inspire him to make his dream a reality.
“I don’t really idolise anyone, I want to make an impact being me and then hopefully kids will then look up and idolise what I’ve done one day,” Thane said.
“Signing with the under-20s at the Broncos is a huge step for me, we’ve already started preseason so it’s great to be around the other players, coaches and staff.
“This is another step towards my goal of playing NRL, I just have to continue to work really hard and perform well at whatever level I play. It’s great that my start is with the Broncos because they’re my team and have been ever since I was a kid.”
A natural rugby league talent with his pace and ability to make plays, Thane said he does not know where his rugby league prowess came from.
“My family hasn’t been really into footy, my dad was really into his hockey and mum was more of a basketballer,” he said.
“I just started because my friends were playing it when I was younger and I didn’t want to get left out. It turned out to be a pretty good choice.”

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

Anyone know when the 20s trial squad will be announced?

BRONCOS UNDER-20s TEAM TO PLAY NORTHS DEVILS
at Bishop Park, Saturday February 4 at 5.30pm
1. Thane Kellermeyer
2. Kotoni Staggs
3. Luke Modini
4. Clayton Mack
5. Frank Kuresa
6. Dray Ngatuere
7. Josh Fauid
8. Brayden Dee
9. Tyson Smoothy
10. Joe McGuire
11. Brandon Russell
12. Eddie Burns
13. Miti Tuatai
Interchange:
14. Eddie Blacker
15. Lachlan Barr
16. Tom Flegler
17. Jack Peacock
18. Kobe Hetherington
19. Regan Baker
20. Rory Ferguson
21. Kegan Tuhega
Coach: Scott Tronc

There's some names in there. 1-6 goes from one extreme to the other and back again

Active Now

• Scorchie
  • Santa
  • Fitzy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Financeguy
  • Battler
  • peter09
  • Sproj
  • Browny
  • barker
  • Brocko
  • winslow_wong
  • Mr Fourex
  • MrTickyMcG
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.