2018 NRL Side

Isin't Fifita 17? i don't know enough about Mago, but thats a big call stating he should be over Oates and even Sua. Fifita hasn't even been tested yet to say he will be a star, besides school boy footy and we all know about that. the step up mentally and physically is crazy. I heard he is only just holding his own in training, but has struggled. give the kid time without hyping him too much. Haas would be over him right now, let alone players who have played NRL.
I know, he is young and all the things you have said are right. But I see this guy going a long way. I have spoken to people who have had a bit to do with him and have been told he is the best they have seen at his age. And this comes from guys who have seen a few stars come through.
I know a lot of very talented young guys don't make it, but I reckon we have the 2 most talented young forwards in the country coming through in Haas and Fifita.

I'm amazed Carrigan doesnt get more of a mention. Imo, he was better than Haas last year for us. Maybe its because the hype machine doesn't swarm around him.

Not exactly relevant but, on NRL.com they have pictures of the emerging blues squad and none of Haas or TPJ. WTF!

Youve got to ease up on Haas, he hasn't even played one game. He's years away from a NSW side of he ever even does make it.

Started him as soon as Souths got him from the Academy in 1979. Bennett had been there since '77.

First trial of the year v Brothers at Corbett he scored two tries and kicked five goals at 18.

Not so.
Born July 1960. That would make him 19.
But a lot of water has passed under the bridge since I watched him play at Davies Park. Perhaps my recollection is not what it should be.

Not so.
Born July 1960. That would make him 19.
But a lot of water has passed under the bridge since I watched him play at Davies Park. Perhaps my recollection is not what it should be.

Yep so a trial played in February would make him 18.

Youve got to ease up on Haas, he hasn't even played one game. He's years away from a NSW side of he ever even does make it.

He's got two a few years on Haas too and was why we probably let go of Arrow.

8.Sims
9.Macca
10.Lodge
11.Oates
12.Gillett
13.Moose

14.Carrigan
15.Haas
26.TPJ
17.Offa

Fifita
Mago
Savelio
Fledger
Fai
Thaiday has one spot until the season ends and you have to think Glenn time is limited. Hate to say it he’s been great for us but he isn’t really in the same calibre

8.Sims
9.Macca
10.Lodge
11.Oates
12.Gillett
13.Moose

14.Carrigan
15.Haas
26.TPJ
17.Offa

Fifita
Mago
Savelio
Fledger
Fai
Thaiday has one spot until the season ends and you have to think Glenn time is limited. Hate to say it he’s been great for us but he isn’t really in the same calibre

that pack is going to take us nowhere

8.Sims
9.Macca
10.Lodge
11.Oates
12.Gillett
13.Moose

14.Carrigan
15.Haas
26.TPJ
17.Offa

Fifita
Mago
Savelio
Fledger
Fai

Cant see Sims surviving if the young guys step up and with Glenn well his days are numbered like thaidays could be his last season here

We have virtually no clue how 75% of that forward pack will perform at the NRL level and we're already writing them off?

Wouldn't mind seeing them play a few games before I make my judgments I think.

if you think that pack will take us anywhere in 2018 ... then clearly you have never seen how Bennett has developed rookie forwards for his entire 30+ year coaching career.

in the event a forward as young as Carrigan or Haas actually gets a game ... it is pretty much always a token 5 minutes at the end of the game ... which means that you are placing alot on the top of TPJ and Offa to carry the bench work load (2 players that, while are coming along very nicely, still have a ways to go until they are properly developed)

Then there is Oates ... a player, who while he can make big meters coming off a run up against centers and wingers, is yet to show he can do the hard yards up the middle with little to no run up, against the big men ... all that is assuming he can actually stay on the park in the forwards.

now we arrive at Sims ... there is a player who is great defensively, but offers little in the way of go forward.

on to Lodge ... carved up the ISC level competition, but hasn't played NRL for 3 years, which is clearly a significant step up from the ISC ... it could take him some time before he hits his straps in the top grade.

Although, i really don't have to worry too much because the chance the pack runs out like that is close to zero ... unless we get a significant amount injuries

Last edited:
that pack is going to take us nowhere

I am talking more future wise but they will all get a go sometime this season, Thaiday and Glenn still have their place in 2018

But really that is our forward pack now which is quite functional, TPJ and offa have another season under their belt and then you add in haas and carrigan and it goes up another notch. Someone said it earlier carrigan should get more mention on here he looks the goods

Lodge is the point of difference he handled the NRL well when he was young he was the point of difference for Redcliffe and he will have a great season for us. Keeping him will be the issue.

Oates for Glenn Thaiday for haas/carrigan and that is our forward pack anyway not that much difference

Then there is Oates ... a player, who while he can make big meters coming off a run up against centers and wingers, is yet to show he can do the hard yards up the middle with little to no run up, against the big men ... all that is assuming he can actually stay on the park in the forwards.

C’mon now, I don’t even rate the idea of Oates as a second row forward but he is one of our best when it comes to one out hit ups. He constantly gets his head into gaps to find his front and rarely gets dominated.

Does anyone really want Oates in the 2nd row really? A lot of talk about it and that’s what he wants but most us would Rather he stays on the wing I would think

Does anyone really want Oates in the 2nd row really? A lot of talk about it and that’s what he wants but most us would Rather he stays on the wing I would think

The problem here is what we want vs. what he wants. He'll likely go to a team that lets him play in the forwards.

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • broncos4life
  • RolledOates
  • Dreaglor
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Bucking Beads
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Dash
  • bb_gun
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.