2018 NRL Side

with his form at the end of the season he should have been in the initial squad...

IIRC, he didn't plan his holiday until he was overlooked

Yeap, initially he was left out and he was disappointed, but then they wanted him to come in and by that time he already had the holiday with his family locked in. Form wise he should have been there.

Geez you have ripped me apart there haven’t you!
Yeah, that almost reads like "The Mole" or Daniel O'Dowd's curriculum (or whatever his name is)...

You need to give us some good inside information, for the sake of your reputation of course. :wink:

Hahaha! What is it with people on this forum thinking everyone in a team has to be superstars?! Seriously are you living in lala land. Glenn has been the second most consistent performer in the squad behind McGuire since Parker has retired. He makes metres and he doesn't do much wrong. You cannot simply have superstars in your lineup this is not rugby league live 3 and you turned off salary cap on settings. This is the real world. Glenn has been a great servant.

I just think we should have someone with higher potential for the future starting in the backrow. Glad to have Glenn on the bench.

Geez you have ripped me apart there haven’t you!

Don't worry, we still believe in you, just an off year. I'm anticipating 2018 to be your best year yet.

giphy-downsized.gif

Savelio Reveling In Hot Weather

https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2018/01/16/savelio-reveling-in-the-hot-weather/

ANDRE Savelio knew he was in for some heat when he made his decision to have a crack at the NRL in Brisbane.

But he probably wasn't expecting to swelter in the 38 degrees the city was hit with last weekend.

The big English forward admitted to hiding away on Sunday, but says he is reveling in the rigours of the pre-season in Queensland.

He said it compares favourably to the bitter English winters he normally prepares in.

"I have enjoyed it," he said.

"I guess it is more the day that you aren't training and you just want to chill out and relax.

"They are the hard ones.

"But I have enjoyed it, the heat. It makes training more enjoyable, definitely more than working in the cold.

"(On Sunday) I just sat inside with my air con on, kicking back - anytime I walked out of my room, it hit me."

Born in New Zealand, Savelio moved to England as a toddler when his father Lokeni signed to play in the Super League.

Savelio too has set his sights abroad as he tries to follow in the footsteps of English forwards Sam Burgess and James Graham, who have been roaring successes in the NRL.

He admits the training is a step up as he begins a two-year contract with the Broncos.

"I just always wanted to try this when I was younger," he said.

"I have had a couple of talks with Brisbane in the past, but I just thought the time was right now to come over and try my hand.

"The training is a lot tougher.

"But it was what I expected - I wasn't coming over and expecting this to be a walk (in the park).

"Across the board it is a lot stronger.

"Sessions are long, which is draining on your energy.

"It is not really fitness, not anaerobic or anything like that - it is just draining mentally."

I’ll tell you one thing. The day Alex Glenn is the Broncos biggest problem is the day we have nothing to worry about.

I agree about glenn being loyal and solid etc . But we have that in gillette and Maguire, some strike in the backrow is what we need for balance. Not three tackling machines.

On the surface 2017 was a successful season for the Brisbane Broncos but they never looked genuinely like threatening to take out the premiership. With some integral players leaving and big names arriving, have the perennial heavyweights got the balance right to end a 12-year title drought?

Evaluating the Broncos 2017 campaign is tough, and at times a contradictory experience. They finished comfortably ranked inside the top four in both attack and defence (usually a marker for a contending-level team) but failed to truly dominate on either end. As a unit they were versatile and adaptable, but that left them without a specific style to hang their hat on. They were comfortable competing against all teams, but failed to carve out an identity, which found them chasing games and playing to overcome rather than stamping their authority. Despite being an undoubted top-three team all season, their premiership candidacy never felt concrete.

Falling a game short of the grand final is nothing to complain about, and it’s tough to be critical when injuries to two spine members (Darius Boyd, Andrew McCullough) and a key forward (Korbin Sims) hit and derailed their finals campaign, but despite their strong numbers and good record, something stood between them and the true contenders.

The departure of Ben Hunt leaves them in an odd transitional stage, a roster packed with quality that doesn’t appear — at least on paper — to be compatible, especially as they failed to replace their dependable halfback. Setting expectations for this year is tough, and a successful, title-challenging campaign would require some of Master Wayne’s best work. Sure, they’re talented, but just how good are the Broncos?

2017 SNAPSHOT: 3rd (16-8); Points for — 597 (2nd), Points against — 433 (4th)

BEST RECRUIT: Jack Bird is the latest high-profile signing to link up with the Broncos, moving north after an impressive start to his NRL career at Cronulla, where he became a Dally M Rookie of the Year at five-eighth, an elite, premiership-winning centre, and an Origin fixture in just three seasons of top grade. His unrelenting aggression and gritty, tough style of play adds another dynamic talent to a Broncos backline that was in need of some additional firepower. Bird has stated his desire to play in the halves or at lock, but with Milford cemented in the No.6 jersey and (despite common belief) a well-stocked forward pack, Bird will be resigned to the edge for at least the beginning of 2018.

KEY MAN: Matt Gillett remains the Broncos’ best player, and McCullough (as last year’s finals proved) their most important. But for the Broncos to reach – and possibly exceed – their potential, Anthony Milford will have to be front and centre of everything they do. ‘Milf’s’ breakout season in 2015 had him pressing for status as a top-10 player in the competition, but as teams adjusted to his darting runs and dazzling footwork, he failed to make as substantial of an impact. Overcoming an injury-interrupted 2017 will do wonders for his confidence and should see him get back to climbing into the top tier of the league’s elite. After debuting in last year’s series opener, an Origin jersey is likely on the line should his form pick up.

UNDER THE PUMP: James Roberts came across from the Titans with plenty of hype (and an award-winning season in the books just a year prior) but has failed to take the next step and become one of the game’s best at his position. He possesses the talent to become the most lethal strike weapon in the competition, but his defensive lapses and inconsistencies (and lack of passing!) have continued to plague his game. The fastest first step in the league that allows him to break tackles with ease and zoom into the backfield, ‘Jimmy the Jet’ should become an unstoppable force, and such an improvement would go close to pushing his team towards top-four contention.

SELECTION POSER: Kodi Nikorima is a handy footballer and a high-quality utility, but doubts remain over whether he is cut out to play halfback full-time. His stellar record in the role last season — winning 11 of his 13 games in the No.7 jersey (10 of the 11 wins coming alongside Milford) — is encouraging, but is a little smoke and mirrors: their offensive struggles in McCullough’s absence as the season wound down exposed a lack of direction that would usually come from the offensive conductor. With Nikorima’s proven potency as an impact player off the bench, it’s possible he may drop back to his preferred role if things don’t click early. Problem is, there is very little established talent waiting in the wings — Shaun Nona and Sam Scarlett loom as a potential alternatives, and if things don’t go well expect the Milford-Bird partnership to also get a run (although I advise resoundingly against it).

YOUNG GUN: Serving an underrated but undeniably crucial role in stabilising the Broncos’ middle third from the pine, Tevita Pangai Jr quickly gained steam as one of the best young forwards in the game, his eye-opening combination of powerful running and silky-smooth footwork making him a nightmare for tiring defenders, even flashing some tidy ball skills as he grew in comfort (including one of the finest assists of the year with the below gem). Already amassing a cult following with the Broncos faithful, more game time will only boost confidence and flash more of his immense potential. Emerging star Payne Haas will pop up at some point in the season, but with a deep roster his chance likely won’t come until midway through the season at the earliest.

BREAKOUT SEASON ALERT: With enforcer Adam Blair now in New Zealand and Sam Thaiday continuing to play a more condensed role, expect explosive prop Korbin Sims to assume the role of the forward pack leader. Sims has grown in each season of first grade and at 26 will be entering his prime years when the Broncos need him to shine most. A Queensland debut isn’t too high of a goal.

THE STAT: The Broncos finished ranked a surprising second in attack last season, averaging just under 25 points per game. Bennett’s dependable defensive systems will hold up, but it’s tough to envision those offensive numbers remaining steady.

COACH SECURITY DANGER RATING: Low — Wayne Bennett is a part of the furniture in Brisbane and is as ingrained in the culture as the club’s logo. That said, expectations are always high and missing the finals wouldn’t do his approval rating any favours. Hard to see his job come under fire though.

THE DRAW: Glass Half Full – A relatively soft start where they face only three of last year’s top eight in their first 10 games and a well-balanced schedule overall with an even split between top- and bottom-half teams from 2017. The least short five-day turnarounds of any team with only one.

Glass Half Empty – Eight Thursday night games (and four away from home), by far the most of any team. Five of their last seven games are against last year’s finals teams, which could make for a tough finish if they’re still trying to secure a playoff spot.

POSSIBLE LINE-UP TO START 2018:

1 Darius Boyd
2 Corey Oates
3 James Roberts
4 Jack Bird
5 Jordan Kahu
6 Anthony Milford
7 Kodi Nikorima
8 Korbin Sims
9 Andrew McCullough
10 Joe Ofahengaue
11 Alex Glenn
12 Matt Gillett
13 Josh McGuire

14 Sam Thaiday
15 Tevita Pangai Jr
16 Sam Tagataese
17 Matt Lodge

I guess that side is a lot more realistic than what some other site predicted in another thread, lol.

About Glenn: yeah, he could well (and probably will) get replaced by someone else in the starting side one day, but I can't see it happening in Round 1 at all. Su'a has shown **** all so far in first grade and Oates has mostly played on the wing. Glenn was one of our better forwards last year as well. He's far from perfect, but no one else is really knocking on the door yet. Certainly not Su'a so far.

How's Roberts under pressure he just had his best year at Broncos and got re-signed for 4 years.

How's Roberts under pressure he just had his best year at Broncos and got re-signed for 4 years.

The media and commentators just expect Roberts to score a try every time he touches the ball.

The media and commentators just expect Roberts to score a try every time he touches the ball.

His passing is decent too, just he's that quick no ones ever there to pass to. His defence was solid last year too, his downfall is effort.

Active Now

• jarro65
  • MrMoore
  • Bucking Beads
  • winslow_wong
  • bb_gun
  • Financeguy
  • Sproj
  • Dreaglor
  • Allo
  • Manofoneway
  • Waynesaurus
  • Aldo
  • Lurker
  • Stix
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Dash
  • GCBRONCO
  • Santa
  • IceWorks
... and 31 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.