2018 NRL Side

He'll be fine and will get through more work than Glenn does.

I think attempting to be a powerful, agile winger is doing more damage to his body.

Glenn gets through a tonne of work if I remember correctly. Consistently had the most metres run and minutes played. Lots of defence too. If he scores more tries he'd get a lot more respect around here.

to get respect around here, Glenn doesn't actually need to do the work ... just look flashy while on the field :p

I don't really care about that.

I just think the Broncos deserve to have someone better starting in the backrow.

Glenn has had so many years to lift his game to an elite level and never quite got there. His ceiling for potential is not any higher than we have seen. We have a lot of backrowers with huge potential and he's just wasting everyones time while he plays big minutes in the backrow.

I'm excited that Oates has finally got the green light to play his preferred position. It'll be a loss in terms of the metres he can provide on kick returns, but it'll be a massive plus down the other end, the amount of bombed tries from Glenn / Thaiday over the last few seasons after Milford put them through a hole is countless. Oates is stronger, faster & more skillful than both of them combined, which should lead to a LOT of points for us down the left edge, especially if we can find a worthy replacement for Corey on the wing.

Speaking of the left edge, has anyone read or seen which side of the field Jimmy is training on? There was a whisper that Bird would play his preferred right centre position when healthy, which would mean Jimmy on the left. A potential left side sweeping attack of Boyd, Milford, Oates, Roberts & Isaako does sound enticing.

Countless? Love baseless accusations. No stats, no examples.

I'm not sure about Thaiday, but I can distinctly remember many times Glenn either bombing certain tries or failing to score almost certain tries over the past few years. Glenn was terrific this year, but finishing tries is definitely his weakness.

I really hope Oates takes his opportunity this pre-season. He showed earlier in his career he knows how to run a line of the halves. If he gets into the backfield, the fullback has Buckley's of stopping him.

Kick Glenn keep Sua simple.

Yep, kick a 29 year old, 200 plus game veteran and international who had one of his best seasons in 2017 for a guy who hasn’t been able to crack first grade.

Sounds like an excellent idea.

not to mention a player that doesn't cost us an arm and a leg

Prior to the backend of 2017 Alex has been off his game for at least two seasons. I admire the way he fought back towards the end of 2017, i really do, but I think his time has come and gone. Benny loves the guy because of his life struggles, but he has axed bigger names than Glenn when they stopped performing. Unless he ups his game, the first loss we suffer he'll be gone.

Who is loyal, hard working, squeaky clean off the field and a great leader

Bennett only re-signed him last year ... and IMO Bennett is unlikely to drop him any time soon, the worst he will do is drop him to the bench.

Glenn isn't the flashy type of player that sticks in fans minds, but he just goes about his job. the type of player every team needs due to his experience, work rate and the fact that he doesn't coast a fortune

Every team needs an Alex Glenn. The Roosters have Aubusson, Storm had Hinchcliff, Cowboys Cooper. 1-17 cant all be superstars under todays salary cap

This. Solid AF.

@Unbreakable, these are from the last three pages. It is hard to determine whether a couple of those are positive or negative. Not really sure where anyone has said that he is 'unbelievably good'.

What does seem to be clear is that those defending him are not saying he is 'unbelievably good' but rather that he is very good value for money. Some even acknowledging that before the back end of last year, he wasn't going that well, seems a pretty reasonable point of view to me.

It also seems that the comments you are referring to only started to really surface in response to @Kyall doing his usual thing and suggesting an unproven youngster replace a 200 game veteran.

I'm still not really sure where you are getting your hyperbole from? Do I need to go back further pages? Because I really don't see where this 'blasphemy to even question his contributions' is coming from and how in light of these quotes it isn't clearly hyperbole on your part?

I'm still not really sure where you are getting your hyperbole from? Do I need to go back further pages? Because I really don't see where this 'blasphemy to even question his contributions' is coming from and how in light of these quotes it isn't clearly hyperbole on your part?

Why do you care so much? Move on.

My comment was directed at Joe who was listing multiple reasons why we should be thankful to have Glenn around after saying he was being shopped around & not part of our future last season.

Every team needs an Alex Glenn. The Roosters have Aubusson, Storm had Hinchcliff, Cowboys Cooper. 1-17 cant all be superstars under todays salary cap

Yeah... and none of them are first choice starters in the backrow for their sides. They're bench utilities.. If you're talking about Gavin Cooper, he's so much better than Glenn and is grossly underrated rather than overrated.

I'd love for Glenn to be our utility. Not a big minute edge backrower.

Why do you care so much? Move on.

My comment was directed at Joe who was listing multiple reasons why we should be thankful to have Glenn around after saying he was being shopped around & not part of our future last season.

Because he raised very valid points. Your kind of comment is the type on these boards that can escalate valid discussions into arguments quickly. Smokin' Joe made valid points and should not feel he has to justify his own opinions in light of any changed inside information he receives. Just because he reported here doesn't mean he shared the view of shopping Glenn around, I'm not really sure why you are having a dig at him for it.

This sort of unnecessary (albeit I'm sure not deliberate) dig at highly valued members of our community is unwarranted, hence why I care so much.

Anyway..

Would anyone be interested in the off contract cowboys?

I would not be opposed to giving Winterstien a short term deal (Benji/Mead contract). Him and Kahu would be solid wingers able to finish off the good work inside.

Attachments

• IMG_4383.PNG
    IMG_4383.PNG
    62.8 KB · Views: 89
I'd take Ethan Lowe for sure. Have no idea where I'd play him but I'd work it out later.

edit: I'm pretty certain we went after him last contract too but he re-signed with NQ.

I'd take Ethan Lowe for sure. Have no idea where I'd play him but I'd work it out later.

edit: I'm pretty certain we went after him last contract too but he re-signed with NQ.

I would take Ethan Lowe in a heartbeat, the guy is classy AND he can goal kick.

I don't really care about that.

I just think the Broncos deserve to have someone better starting in the backrow.

Glenn has had so many years to lift his game to an elite level and never quite got there. His ceiling for potential is not any higher than we have seen. We have a lot of backrowers with huge potential and he's just wasting everyones time while he plays big minutes in the backrow.
Hahaha! What is it with people on this forum thinking everyone in a team has to be superstars?! Seriously are you living in lala land. Glenn has been the second most consistent performer in the squad behind McGuire since Parker has retired. He makes metres and he doesn't do much wrong. You cannot simply have superstars in your lineup this is not rugby league live 3 and you turned off salary cap on settings. This is the real world. Glenn has been a great servant.

Because he raised very valid points. Your kind of comment is the type on these boards that can escalate valid discussions into arguments quickly. Smokin' Joe made valid points and should not feel he has to justify his own opinions in light of any changed inside information he receives. Just because he reported here doesn't mean he shared the view of shopping Glenn around, I'm not really sure why you are having a dig at him for it.

This sort of unnecessary (albeit I'm sure not deliberate) dig at highly valued members of our community is unwarranted, hence why I care so much.

I love Joe, he knows I do. He's one of the only ones on here with any actual information, that doesn't mean he's immune to criticism of any sort, for example, the last 12 months has been a bit of a dry spell for the lad.

Smokin' Joe said:
I stand by what I know and it's pretty solid (Regarding Carney)
Smokin' Joe said:
There have been murmurs of Albert Vete for a while
Smokin' Joe said:
I'm extremely confident he will stay (Regarding Benji)
Smokin' Joe said:
Glenn lives on the coast (Regarding Glenn to the Titans)
Smokin' Joe said:
Blair will stay
Smokin' Joe said:
Milford staying I also think Arrow will stay
Smokin' Joe said:
Hunt going nowhere
Smokin' Joe said:
Napa for 2017 - Possible
Napa for 2018 - Probable

On the other hand it makes us less likely to lose our younger backs, as with Oates on the wing our team is so stacked from 1-6 that it's hard for a younger guy to see where they could land a starting gig.

Right now we have a lot more talent in the forwards, although I think Isaako can turn out to be a good player. Glenn is better off starting in my books, he's a waste of space on the bench and isn't going to get dropped anytime soon. With Glenn starting in 2018 it gives a spot on the bench for a young player or two to be eased in this year, and another next year when Thaiday hangs them up: chucking Oates into the 2nd row ruins this transition. Another positive to this is that Su'a or X player might push Glenn for a starting spot later on in the season.

Oates sounds like he's hunting big dollars as well. Glenn's on something like 200k from memory, so Oates will have to be Australian standard (not likely in a season) to be worth anything north of 500k, which I assume he'll be asking for.

EDIT: Apparently Oates could be playing 14. Not too against this seeing as how he can cover back line positions and provide more impact than someone like Pearson.

Has it been confirmed that oates is moving..if it is i think Isaaco should play wing. He is a goal kicker as well. Takes pressure of kahu as well

Hahaha! What is it with people on this forum thinking everyone in a team has to be superstars?! Seriously are you living in lala land. Glenn has been the second most consistent performer in the squad behind McGuire since Parker has retired. He makes metres and he doesn't do much wrong. You cannot simply have superstars in your lineup this is not rugby league live 3 and you turned off salary cap on settings. This is the real world. Glenn has been a great servant.

Is Glenn a superstar? No, but not many second row forwards are.

He is an international though and has a dozen tests under his belt... I think the only reason he hasn’t played more lately is the absolute basket-case that is the NZ Rugby League team (and NZ rugby league in general).

Where I picking the NZ team he’d be coming off the bench for mine because you know with him you will get quality and 100% commitment as he has shown to the Broncs.

The idea that gets tossed aside for a newcomer is pretty outrageous in my book and is no way whatsoever to build a team.

He is an international though and has a dozen tests under his belt... I think the only reason he hasn’t played more lately is the absolute basket-case that is the NZ Rugby League team (and NZ rugby league in general).

Where I picking the NZ team he’d be coming off the bench for mine because you know with him you will get quality and 100% commitment as he has shown to the Broncs.

The idea that gets tossed aside for a newcomer is pretty outrageous in my book and is no way whatsoever to build a team.

Wasn't there an article a month or 2 ago where he said that Kidwell rang him up and asked him to play in the WC and he said no I'd rather spend the off-season with family?

That's why I said, can't expect superstars in every position the original comment I replied to expects it. It's a jokr

Wasn't there an article a month or 2 ago where he said that Kidwell rang him up and asked him to play in the WC and he said no I'd rather spend the off-season with family?
Yep, he knocked him back because he had already planned his holidays.

Yep, he knocked him back because he had already planned his holidays.

with his form at the end of the season he should have been in the initial squad...

IIRC, he didn't plan his holiday until he was overlooked

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Johnny92
  • Waynesaurus
  • Allo
  • Battler
  • Fozz
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Wolfie
  • Dexter
  • Xzei
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • heartly87
  • broncoscope
  • simplythebest
  • The True King
  • the_next
  • Cavalo
  • Foordy
  • Painin the Haas
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.