2018 NRL Side

Considering that he is in training camp and with the ESL season starting in two weeks, I'd say the answer is No.
Weirder things have happened. Obviously wishful thinking. Like it matters what part of the season the ESL is in though

Glenn gets through a tonne of work if I remember correctly. Consistently had the most metres run and minutes played. Lots of defence too. If he scores more tries he'd get a lot more respect around here.

to get respect around here, Glenn doesn't actually need to do the work ... just look flashy while on the field :P

https://www.zerotackle.com/2018-predicted-lineup-brisbane-broncos-31113/

2018 Predicted Lineup

1. Anthony MIlford
2. Corey Oates
3. Jack Bird
4. James Roberts
5. Jordan Kahu
6. Darius Boyd
7. Sam Scarlett
8. Joe Ofanhengaue
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Sam Thaiday
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Josh McGuire

14. Kodi Nikorima
15. Jaydn Su'A
16. Korbin Sims
17. Tevita Pangai Jnr
18. Andre Savelio
19. Sam Tagatese
20. Marion Seve
21. Jonus Pearson

The Big Question: Should he remain at five-eighth; will Anthony Milford be able to make the same impact on the game without a dominant halves partner?

Predicted Finish: 8th

Where to begin with this? Milford at fullback, Boyd at 5/8th, Sam Scarlett at Halfback? Ok I could see Milford and Boyd being moved(Boyd not to 5/8th though) if we had superior options in both positions, but we don't. As for Sam Scarlett, WTF is with that? Kodi while I'm not convinced is the long-term option, I can't for the life of me see why Scarlett would be ahead of him? Now come the forwards. Where is Lodge? You can make a case for Ofanhengaue and Thaiday starting sure, but no lodge in the 17 or even the 21? Oh this is why "Also, Matthew Lodge has been intentionally left out of the team. You know why." This person is seriously cheesing off.

surely the are taking the piss ... considering Bennett has repeatedly said that Boyd is not moving from fullback, Milford is not moving from 5/8 and Nikorima will get first shot at halfback ...

any credibility they had just flew straight out the window with that load of rubbish

Weirder things have happened. Obviously wishful thinking. Like it matters what part of the season the ESL is in though
It might matter to the club he is currently contracted to though.

While Oates is and has been fantastic for us on the wing, I'm quite excited to see his hole-running in attack. Think a game vs the Sharks (I think he played centre) and the at-the-death win v Penrith. He just barrels through defenders and it's been a while since we've had someone who does that at 2RF. Gillo can get the occasional line right, but he's also compounded by the number hard short balls he gets with defenders half a foot away from him and he generally drops them.

Also hoping this means Opacic and/or Pearson get some quality time. They have their detractors on here, but I genuinely think they are quality players and deserve a proper shot in first grade, not one or two games here and there.

Are we taking rugby league contracts seriously this week?
The ESL are a lot more stringent on their contracted players. If he was suddenly to walk out of camp smack dab in the middle of their preseason, two weeks before the start of the season and defect to the NRL, Huddersfield would demand compensation. The Broncos aren't in the financial position to pay out a transfer fee and then a contract just for a 29 yo winger. The ESL may be the weaker comp calibre wise but it is run a hell of a lot better than the NRL.

Oates coming off the bench with TPJ would bring plenty of Impact

His fitness and defensive reads next to Milford would be the only problem but nothing that can't get better over time

So we should get rid of TPJ, as well?

He is 190 cm's and weighs 118kg's but lost to Ben Hunt by 2 metres.

I don't think you should be basing your assessment on a throwing competition.

I don't really care about that.

I just think the Broncos deserve to have someone better starting in the backrow.

Glenn has had so many years to lift his game to an elite level and never quite got there. His ceiling for potential is not any higher than we have seen. We have a lot of backrowers with huge potential and he's just wasting everyones time while he plays big minutes in the backrow.

I'm excited that Oates has finally got the green light to play his preferred position. It'll be a loss in terms of the metres he can provide on kick returns, but it'll be a massive plus down the other end, the amount of bombed tries from Glenn / Thaiday over the last few seasons after Milford put them through a hole is countless. Oates is stronger, faster & more skillful than both of them combined, which should lead to a LOT of points for us down the left edge, especially if we can find a worthy replacement for Corey on the wing.

Speaking of the left edge, has anyone read or seen which side of the field Jimmy is training on? There was a whisper that Bird would play his preferred right centre position when healthy, which would mean Jimmy on the left. A potential left side sweeping attack of Boyd, Milford, Oates, Roberts & Isaako does sound enticing.

I'm excited that Oates has finally got the green light to play his preferred position. It'll be a loss in terms of the metres he can provide on kick returns, but it'll be a massive plus down the other end, the amount of bombed tries from Glenn / Thaiday over the last few seasons after Milford put them through a hole is countless. Oates is stronger, faster & more skillful than both of them combined, which should lead to a LOT of points for us down the left edge, especially if we can find a worthy replacement for Corey on the wing.

Speaking of the left edge, has anyone read or seen which side of the field Jimmy is training on? There was a whisper that Bird would play his preferred right centre position when healthy, which would mean Jimmy on the left. A potential left side sweeping attack of Boyd, Milford, Oates, Roberts & Isaako does sound enticing.
Countless? Love baseless accusations. No stats, no examples.

I'm not surprised to see Benny near the top. Have heard stories of him doing sets of pull ups with additional weights/chains, etc. hanging off him and that he's very diligent in the gym.

This was a few years ago but can't see why it would've dropped off

Countless? Love baseless accusations. No stats, no examples.
I'm not sure about Thaiday, but I can distinctly remember many times Glenn either bombing certain tries or failing to score almost certain tries over the past few years. Glenn was terrific this year, but finishing tries is definitely his weakness.

I really hope Oates takes his opportunity this pre-season. He showed earlier in his career he knows how to run a line of the halves. If he gets into the backfield, the fullback has Buckley's of stopping him.

Oates has played the Broncos like a fiddle.

The worst thing about is that it pushes a young bloke off the bench which will most likely result in us losing one of Su'a, Haas, Carrigan, or Fifita. He'll be a massive liability in defence and moved back to the wing anyway, whether he has a hissy fit and leaves the club is another matter.

He'll be fine and will get through more work than Glenn does.

I think attempting to be a powerful, agile winger is doing more damage to his body.
I've been waiting for him to break his shoulder with the way he lands when doing those big diving tries

Active Now

• Stix
  • Foordy
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • BruiserMk1
  • Rambstien
  • johnny plath
  • Lozza
  • Browny
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • Waynesaurus
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Aldo
  • Robboi_321
  • Gaz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • theshed
  • broncos4life
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.