2018 NRL Side

Last time we were regarded as favourites (or there abouts) by the media, we had a pretty depressing season in 2016.

There isn't even an author to that article... nor an explanation why they think the teams in question will fail.
100% I read through our "assessment" and there was literally no explanation why we would be tenth.

Also found it funny that on only Monday their fox lab had us finishing 2nd now all of a sudden some old mate from LU with a keyboard has us finishing 10th

The Cows have to have a 2015 like run with injuries to be contenders, which is a huge caveat considering their best prop is coming off an ACL, and JT is held together by glue. If JT goes early, which is a real possibility, they will struggle for the eight (they were seriously lucky to make it last year despite JT13 having a career season).

Same deal with the rorters, they have no depth whatsoever in the backs and halves, and are relying on Cronk being the same player he was at the Storm and Teddy to stay healthy for the season despite his injury history.

The Dragons will rely on new signing Ben Hunt to end horror run against Brisbane
acd901987cb960e3d7db11616db4bdea

HE plays number seven and could be St George Illawarra’s 007.
New Dragons recruit Ben Hunt is being touted as the man to kill-off a horror curse against a team he represented for nine seasons — the Brisbane Broncos.
Hunt has the inside scoop on his former teammates — and he will need every skerrick of information given St George Illawarra has embarrassingly won just two of their past 16 games against Brisbane dating back to 2009.
Led by playmaker Hunt, Saints have a chance to end that horror hoodoo in the NRL’s season-opener against Brisbane at Jubilee Oval, Kogarah, next Thursday night.
0a3f1f052bdbccd6224be798c05d99d1

Hunt is one of St George Illawarra’s marquee purchases.
And The Daily Telegraph can reveal Saints have enjoyed an unorthodox lead-up after being given five days off training.
It will freshen-up the Dragons for a round one ambush.
Former St George Illawarra premiership-winning prop Michael Weyman reckons Hunt can help bring down the Broncos.
“Hunt knows all the Broncos players, he went through the ranks with them, he knows all their systems,” said Weyman, who represented NSW and Australia.
“He would know all about Anthony Milford, they would be roughly the same age. They would know what to expect of each other.
“Hunt is a guy that Dragons have lacked over the last few years and that’s no disrespect to the guys who have played the last few years.
GONE: Suli released by Canterbury
TIGERS: Brooks is the last man standing

“Since Benny Hornby has gone, there hasn’t been that organiser and leader. I think Ben Hunt will take over the reigns there and do it really well.
“I wasn’t actually aware St George Illawarra’s record was that poor against Brisbane.”
Hunt will play under intense pressure given it’s his first game for Saints and the fact Brisbane have such a hold over the Dragons.
Advertisement
Scroll to continue with content
Not that he is feeling any scrutiny.
“It will be a strange feeling (playing against Brisbane) — we’ll have to wait and see,” Hunt said. “I’ll have to take it all in. I am sure there will be some texts from the boys, they will be throwing some banter my way.
“I have learnt to cop (scrutiny) and move on. “It is something that has been with me at the Broncos, given it’s a one-town team. There is always pressure on the Broncos and the players
that play in the halves.
afd9cb387a08fc5705cd011662b33d54

Brisbane have dominated the Dragons in recent years.
“I want to cement my role here as a number seven, that’s what they brought me here for.”
The Dragons even employed Broncos coach Wayne Bennett to overcome the curse — but Bennett only won one match against the Broncos during his tenure.
After a hectic and successful off-season and pre-season, Saints coach Paul McGregor
has given his players some well-earned R & R.
The players didn’t train Sunday after the Charity Shield in Mudgee and only had a light gym session and some beach work on Monday.
They were also given Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday off. Saints will return to training tomorrow.
Brisbane trained twice over the corresponding period.
St George Illawarra will train Friday, Saturday and Monday before a final captain’s run on Wednesday.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/4e821471bf9e5b51c4ab1a6be8898879

The Cows have to have a 2015 like run with injuries to be contenders, which is a huge caveat considering their best prop is coming off an ACL, and JT is held together by glue. If JT goes early, which is a real possibility, they will struggle for the eight (they were seriously lucky to make it last year despite JT13 having a career season).

I don't agree with this analysis. Even if JT and Scott got injured they'd still make the 8. Martin would be in the halves with Morgan. Bolton would start alongside McLean, who wasn't even there last year.

Martin and Morgan is still a better halves pairing than Milford-Nikorima.

Cows are going to have a great season barring some horrific injury run that rips through their whole team. Some Broncos' fans hate for them because of our recent history with them isn't going to change that.

I worry they are going to do a job on us in Round 2. It's the first year I can remember of recent memory where they have a clearly better side than us.

2015-2017 the sides were so evenly matched.

Last edited:
With the Knights at 9th.

Keep it coming NSW media, keep it coming.

That article doesn’t even make sense.

‘Added quality not quantity’ ok, isn’t that a good thing? Also, pretty sure we have the mandatory squad size so...

I usually would have a go at someone being too cowardly to put their name to something, but in this case I think it was a wise move.

I don't agree with this analysis. Even if JT and Scott got injured they'd still make the 8. Martin would be in the halves with Morgan. Bolton would start alongside McLean, who wasn't even there last year.

Martin and Morgan is still a better halves pairing than Milford-Nikorima.

Cows are going to have a great season barring some horrific injury run that rips through their whole team. Some Broncos' fans hate for them because of our recent history with them isn't going to change that.

I worry they are going to do a job on us in Round 2. It's the first year I can remember of recent memory where they have a clearly better side than us.

2015-2017 the sides were so evenly matched.

That round 2 clash should be another classic, I'm optimistic. If Thurston does go down, a lot of pressure will be on Morgan to carry the team again. I'd have them in the eight but it would be another huge effort, they won't coast into the top four.

At full strength, the teams are pretty even. Lodge vs Lolo should be pretty good. On our day, we have the team to beat anyone in the comp.

100% I read through our "assessment" and there was literally no explanation why we would be tenth.

Also found it funny that on only Monday their fox lab had us finishing 2nd now all of a sudden some old mate from LU with a keyboard has us finishing 10th
Rothfield

So much lol in this article. Hunt has been abyssal in his trials so far. He ran the ball once out of like 50 touches. He looks genuinely disinterested, only trying to get tries from kicks.

To be honest, I don't think him not running in the trials is that big a deal. Everyone including him knows that's the strongest part of his game, he might want to work on the other parts when he has a chance. Now if he keeps it up throughout the regular season, then it'll be a problem.

Hes on 1M per year with a 6th year in his option....he can eat cheeseburgers for breakfast for all he cares now.

The St George forums are pretty stoked with the pickup. I personally reckon he will partner Widdop really well.

Good on him, hope he plays well for them but loses to us in the GF ... but if that does occur I hope its not because of him. God you'd find floating in the sydney harbour the next day if that happened...

Active Now

• Fatboy
  • sooticus
  • Spoon
  • HarryAllan7
  • Rookie Alan
  • Broncorob
  • Gaz
  • Foordy
  • Old Mate
  • Harry Sack
  • mystico
  • FACTHUNT
  • ettybay
  • Shane Tronc
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.