2018 NRL Side

Pretty good side there and in general I don't mind it.

I wouldn't have Lodge just walk into the starting side personally going straight into the season, just like a future contract it's something he has to earn the right to, get that hunger going and he will come good. Ofahengaue on the other hand earnt his chance in 2017 so yeah give him a shot there.

I'm also concerned about keeping McGuire at lock because it doesn't address the problem we had late in the sets attacking the opposition where our attack would be, not helped by a lack of direction at times from dummy half and the playmakers, but honestly I think that is where Bird is a superior option with better ballskills and Mcguire belongs back in the frontrow, it was a failed experiment and often cost us momentum in attack and gave the opposition defense too easy a job to work against.

I don't want McGuire at lock, but with Bird requiring a full reconstruction of his shoulder, he won't be able to transition there in the pre-season. Doing it during the season will be too much of a disruption, so I can't see him being lock until 2019.

I agree, I think he should play lock! But yeah, even in the centres its a bit premature to say either way. They are different players though, Hodges was more of an athlete.

On the contrary IMO. Hodges wasn't an athlete, he was a footballer. He wasn't the strongest or fastest or fittest, but he had footy smarts and was a scrapper. Bennett probably sees a lot of Hodges in Bird.

On the contrary IMO. Hodges wasn't an athlete, he was a footballer. He wasn't the strongest or fastest or fittest, but he had footy smarts and was a scrapper. Bennett probably sees a lot of Hodges in Bird.

To be fair Hodges pre injuries was pretty athletic, but much like Jordan Kahu has had to he adjusted how he played the game with the injuries and in a lot of respects I think it made him a better footballer because he had to bring out other areas of his game to succeed, he couldn't just rely on his athletic ability which I think some players fall into the trap of.

What !!! He was deceptively quick and very strong . The guy had skills ! No way was he just a scrapper !

What !!! He was deceptively quick and very strong . The guy had skills ! No way was he just a scrapper !

I never said he didn't have skills. I said he wasn't more of an "athlete". Someone who is just generally good at all facets of sport and has been moulded in to a footy player - if anything that describes Bird more than Hodges.

Hodgo was quick before he started getting all of the hamstring injuries, then his speed dropped quite a bit and he had to adjust the way he played the game.

You could see the Hodgo we saw in his final few years was far different to the Hodgo we saw when we he returned to the Broncos.

Hodgo had a long stride in him, so he looked quicker.

The only game where he was really a game breaker and won the game for the Sharks was against the Roosters.. Every other game, not really.
So a game breaker is someone that scores the final try to win the game. You can't seriously be that silly? Your saying bird has never score an important try when there down by a try and put them back in the competition, or scored a try just before half time to change momentum. Or made a linebreak that leads to an easy try at an important moment in the game. You blokes are in la la land.

Keep note of the score they may be trailing or leading by a little margin, and what minute he scores in the game. Is he not a gamebreaker?

This is a make or break season for Su'A as well just quietly, he's been touted as one of the best edge backrowers for the last 5 years, it's about time he starts absolutely destroying QCUP and forcing his way in to the 17, if not, QCUP may be the pinnacle of his career.

So a game breaker is someone that scores the final try to win the game. You can't seriously be that silly? Your saying bird has never score an important try when there down by a try and put them back in the competition, or scored a try just before half time to change momentum. Or made a linebreak that leads to an easy try at an important moment in the game. You blokes are in la la land.

When i think of matchwinner, or a clutch player, the type of play that immediately springs to mind is this from Lockyer against the Eels in 2008. Game on the line, dying moments, that player keeps his cool, steps up to the plate and pulls something out of the bag. I dont see that in Bird as yet.

You are quick to dismiss what we are saying, almost being insulting with it as well, but you arent showing us anything to prove us wrong. Nobody is saying he hasnt made big plays, or scored important tries, but i cant see where he is matchwinning player as yet.

In your opinion what is a matchwinning player, and give us some examples of Bird doing it to back it up.

Edit, just seen the video, but thats more of Bird doing good stuff in a game, but cant see where it puts into context him being a matchwinner, it just shows he is a good player.

I disagree. You can't teach the speed, strength and agility hodges had that made him a gun in the centres.

He mightve had football smarts but without his athletic ability he wouldve been a run of the mill player.

This is a make or break season for Su'A as well just quietly, he's been touted as one of the best edge backrowers for the last 5 years, it's about time he starts absolutely destroying QCUP and forcing his way in to the 17, if not, QCUP may be the pinnacle of his career.

He is only 19 though. Pretty young for a forward but i agree he needs to improve in ISC.

I disagree. You can't teach the speed, strength and agility hodges had that made him a gun in the centres.

He mightve had football smarts but without his athletic ability he wouldve been a run of the mill player.

Totes opposite for mine. He was never that fast, even at his peak. He was strong, yes. But there were centres running around that were stronger and faster, like Timana Tahu, Willie Tonga, etc, that wouldn’t reach the same heights, at least not as consistently. In fact I’d bet there would be centres running around right now in QCup and the NRL that are stronger and faster, more “athletic”, but will never be more than also-rans. Because what Hodges had that those others don’t is the instinct and determination. His step, his fend, it wasn’t how he did it, but when, in what context of the game and in what situation his team is in. Imagine Hodges’ brain in Copley’s body. Or Moga’s! A faster, 110-odd KG Hodges.

Totes opposite for mine. He was never that fast, even at his peak. He was strong, yes. But there were centres running around that were stronger and faster, like Timana Tahu, Willie Tonga, etc, that wouldn’t reach the same heights, at least not as consistently. In fact I’d bet there would be centres running around right now in QCup and the NRL that are stronger and faster, more “athletic”, but will never be more than also-rans. Because what Hodges had that those others don’t is the instinct and determination. His step, his fend, it wasn’t how he did it, but when, in what context of the game and in what situation his team is in. Imagine Hodges’ brain in Copley’s body. Or Moga’s! A faster, 110-odd KG Hodges.

I really think you have underestimated him !

No way Lodge signs anywhere else. The Broncos are like a rehab facility. He'll repay us with loyalty. I can tell he's a decent bloke who had shit ass role models and social groups. I genuinely believe he's turned his life around. He deserves a go.

Whoes better on our books currently? Bird wont be playing centre, no matter how much people might like him to, we arent going to pay him so much and have him getting his hands on the ball so little playing as a centre. Shibasaki went backwards last year, Kahu always gets injured there. We wont be recruiting another centre as we need other positions more than that one. I really dont see at this moment in time whos better.
Umm.. Hodges?

Active Now

• matthewransom34@ic
  • Lostboy
  • FACTHUNT
  • Browny
  • Kev_Guz
  • Financeguy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Harry Sack
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • mrslong
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Xzei
  • Maddy
  • broncoscope
  • Aldo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosarethebest
  • mystico
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.