2018 NRL Side

If he has a standout year at centre , do you move him to lock ?

Why not play Bird in the 2nd row if they can't play him at lock? He can still get big enough for that during the season.

Why not play Bird in the 2nd row if they can't play him at lock? He can still get big enough for that during the season.

Because we have Glenn, Gillett, Thaiday, Su'A & potentially Oates in the back row depth chart. That's the only position we don't need Bird.

Because we have Glenn, Gillett, Thaiday, Su'A & potentially Oates in the back row depth chart. That's the only position we don't need Bird.

We will have Savelio, as well. We don't need Bird in the second row.

Then you'll be hoping for several injuries, because that's the only hope he starts at lock

If McGuire plays lock I don't want him anywhere near the play on the fourth tackle nor should the hooker ever pass it to him on the fourth either.

If McGuire plays lock I don't want him anywhere near the play on the fourth tackle nor should the hooker ever pass it to him on the fourth either.
I’m sorry, but I honesty don’t understand all the hate for McGuire at 13. The bloke was easily our most consistent player in 2017 - daylight second.
If all our players had his attitude, desire, ruthlessness and passion we’d rarely lose a game.
Him being tackled on the fourth isn’t a reflection on him, not even close. If he’s the only one there putting his hand up, who else does the dummy-half give it to? So late in the tackle count, it’s the job of our 6 and 7 to take control, which they didn’t far too often.

I’m sorry, but I honesty don’t understand all the hate for McGuire at 13. The bloke was easily our most consistent player in 2017 - daylight second.
If all our players had his attitude, desire, ruthlessness and passion we’d rarely lose a game.
Him being tackled on the fourth isn’t a reflection on him, not even close. If he’s the only one there putting his hand up, who else does the dummy-half give it to? So late in the tackle count, it’s the job of our 6 and 7 to take control, which they didn’t far too often.

Yes he was consistent - he consistently didn't offer much playing lock. The momentum of our sets died with his carries far too often. Usually solid in D, but needs to expand his attack next year.

You are yet to learn, that nothing is good enough for majority of the blokes on this forum. Apparently McGuire and McCullough are useless, but in my eyes there our two best forwards by miles.

Yes he was consistent - he consistently didn't offer much playing lock. The momentum of our sets died with his carries far too often. Usually solid in D, but needs to expand his attack next year.
Incorrect our momentum died with Sims and Blair. McGuire Ofahengaue and TPJ were the only forwards to bend the defensive line oh and Ese for a few games aswell.

Incorrect our momentum died with Sims and Blair. McGuire Ofahengaue and TPJ were the only forwards to bend the defensive line oh and Ese for a few games aswell.

Lock isn't there to just be another battering ram - Sims and Blair were usually shit at establishing momentum. You can't deny Moose took far too many Gallen plays during the year.

(Well, you could deny it, but you'd be wrong)

Lock isn't there to just be another battering ram - Sims and Blair were usually shit at establishing momentum. You can't deny Moose took far too many Gallen plays during the year.

I cringe every time I see people argue on here, so I must iterate this is not personal.

But you are simply regurgitating crap that Gus Gould said about Gallen and applying it to McGuire.

I’ll say again, our misdirection on the fourth and fifth plays has nothing to do with our forwards - it’s all our halves. You never saw Lockyer allow a forward to get in his way on those tackles.

If our 6 and 7 want the ball on those tackles (which they must, as it’s their job), then they put themselves in a position to do so. If someone gets in their way, they push them out of the way.

If they aren’t there doing that, thank god McGuire is there to take a run, otherwise we’d lose ground, not just momentum.

McGuire was great this season, will be even better with our big boys getting more game time, because let's face it Blair provided nothing than controlling the truck and being a grub. Watch how he plays for Queensland and Australia as a lock, all he needs is a pack that's going forward. We will be a lot better at going forward this year.

I cringe every time I see people argue on here, so I must iterate this is not personal.

But you are simply regurgitating crap that Gus Gould said about Gallen and applying it to McGuire.

I’ll say again, our misdirection on the fourth and fifth plays has nothing to do with our forwards - it’s all our halves. You never saw Lockyer allow a forward to get in his way on those tackles.

If our 6 and 7 want the ball on those tackles (which they must, as it’s their job), then they put themselves in a position to do so. If someone gets in their way, they push them out of the way.

If they aren’t there doing that, thank god McGuire is there to take a run, otherwise we’d lose ground, not just momentum.

Not regurgitating anything Jabba has said. A fucking pass wouldn't go astray in this scenario, it's a common thing with Wayne's teams. Our fourth tackles are consistenly wasted, and yes you are right, a big chunk of that falls on our halves. But it's a recurring problem with Moose, it feels like wasting a tackle. He needs to improve his offloads and contribution to attacking plays to be a lock.

McGuire was great this season, will be even better with our big boys getting more game time, because let's face it Blair provided nothing than controlling the truck and being a grub. Watch how he plays for Queensland and Australia as a lock, all he needs is a pack that's going forward. We will be a lot better at going forward this year.

I hope so, but it's not just him. 2015 Broncos didn't waste their fourth and fifth tackles and weren't scared to spread it - '16/17 there was a scared to be brilliant mentality, safe and boring = no one scoring. Obviously it's not always on, but far too often our sets end on a whimper.

The other important element is support play. Kev will help sort that shit out.

Active Now

• Mick_Hancock
  • RolledOates
  • Jedhead
  • theshed
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.