2018 NRL Side

I was thinking about Ofahengaue, there are a lot of props these days, all young and huge and what not, who come in, do well, but never really develop past that. Probably don't feel like they have to, but then the game sort of gets away from them and they drop off after a few years. Then there are ones who come in a bit slower, and develop slowly over the first few years. Some of the best Broncos middle forwards have been like that - Webcke, Civo, Parker, McGuire in recent times etc. Hopefully Ofa joins that group too.

Macca was better. Hunt is a flash in the pan type player. When he is hot he crackles. When he is cold...nothing

He was about 183cm, 102kg, I would say he would have more in common with Bird then prop to lock forwards. Corey Parker was around 188cm and 102kg and I have little doubt if he was playing now at the same age he was in 2015 would still be upto the task in the basics. We have had plenty of backs play in the forwards over the years who have either had stints there or made successful transitions and there is still room for it in the modern game.

what we miss most from him though is his offload ability(McGuire has failed to deliver here) and considering we have two running halves it's certainly hurt our attacking options and if your going to insist on maintaining Milford and Nikorima, then that is critical. I have seen suggestions of TPJ as being an option, I'm not convinced his ready for the duties at present(that isn't to say he won't ever be), the playing stint time lengths expected for a starting lock are higher then that of a prop given the rotation priority. People will point to the recent international games, but there are a lot more club games during the season which he didn't regularly feature long stints in, he is great as an impact player at present and given time will be ready.

Where to play Bird? Ideally I think lock though with the disruption of the injury it maybe best at least early on to eaise him into the side at centre until he is fully fit and confident. That might mean McGuire remains there, at least in the short term.

Active Now

• Santa
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Pablo
  • Battler
  • Alec
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Brocko
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.