2019 Broncos Line-up

He mostly put on fat, but that's OK, since it wasn't an extreme amount and he doesn't look like an Ipswichian anymore.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...e/news-story/9b260b979d68932adf66b426ed4c9122

Matt Gillett has returned to Broncos training looking healthier than ever as he declares he will be fit to return to the paddock for Round 1.
After undergoing off-season shoulder surgery, the 30-year-old Test second-rower dropped almost 10 kilograms and endured an intense weightlifting program to regain his bulk to begin contact work.
The Broncos returned to training under new coach Anthony Seibold on Monday, with Gillett still sporting the red ‘no contact’ vest as he awaits clearance following surgery and the neck injury that kept him sidelined from Round 5 in 2018.

Gillett was photographed on November 8 looking a shadow of his former self, but he appeared at training on Monday, almost two months later, having bulked back up to his original frame.

782a36f4b9b17b08de08e922314722da

“It has been a long time on the sideline watching but I have been able to spend time with family and refresh the body,” said Gillett, who backed himself to not only be fit for March’s NRL season opener but also play a trial.
“In a way it has been perfect timing to get that rest for a year and hit the ground running this year — I am pretty eager to get back out there.”
Gillett’s 2018 season ended abruptly when it was revealed he fractured his neck in the opening round but played another four games before the serious injury was diagnosed.

4bd8bb713a65cd3fe2ac5b98acdc5e4a

He also underwent a shoulder reconstruction to treat an ongoing complaint.
“It might take a little bit to get myself back to the level I was playing at but nothing is going to change mentally for me with the way I play my football,” he said.
Gillett looked forward to tightening up a Brisbane defence that conceded 500 points last year — the 11th worst in the league.

So this years Maccas cards finally came.

Was just thinking our depth isn't too bad this year, but until I did a hypothetical 2nd team I didn't realise how damn good it is this year. Now admittedly I havent seen a fair few of these guys play, and a few more only once or twice, but if half of these guys are half as good as is being touted and they are in our second team after our 1st team already being full of young stars then we are in for a great 5-10 years if we can keep most of them together.

1. Niu
2. Perese
3. Shibisaki
4. Kahu
5. Farsnworth
6. Dargan (just due to experience in QLD Cup over the younger halves)
7. O'sullivan
8. Carrigan
9. Turpin
10. Mago
11. Savelio
12. Staggs (only here due to massive depth in backs and our depth 2nd rowers are already too good to not be in 1st grade)
13. Fensom

14. T Boyd
15. Flegler
16. Fai
17. Taelui

18. Fijian 7's guy
19. Paix
20. Hethrington
21. Dearden

For this to be a complete 2nd team is incredible (i am working off a 1st team bench of haas, fifita, sua and tagatese (no way seibold has 1 prop on the bench, especially not one with just 60 mins nrl experience)). The coverage in every position to make that team is insane, limited experience in the 1st team or not its a crazy production line of potential mixed with a few bargain basement buys who are proven nrl performers. There's 10 players there with nrl, super league or super rugby experience mixed with some of the best young players in their position... In our reserves!

Last edited:
Our depth is decent in most positions, but I don't think it's that extraordinary. 26 guys on our books with NRL experience is fairly middle of the road. In 2013 the Panthers had 37, which was insane, but for the most part teams generally have somewhere in the range of 24-28. I like the potential of a lot of those guys who are yet to debut, but in terms of proven performers at NRL level it's just Kahu and a few forwards. Our much-maligned spine is backed up by some very young guys who have not played a lot of adult matches.

This off season of recruitment is night and day compared to last year

Any reports on how the likes of Milford and Roberts are going at pre season?

Richard Kennar is a solid back and a good signing for us. He’s actually a player who could push for a wing spot.

I just read that Jack Bird is almost certain to play centre to start the year. Bird has also lost 5kg and is ripping in at training.
Source fox sports news

I just read that Jack Bird is almost certain to play centre to start the year. Bird has also lost 5kg and is ripping in at training.
Source fox sports news
They're a bit late to the party ... I've been reading that on most reports all preseason

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bish
  • FACTHUNT
  • bazza
  • big k
  • Sproj
  • Battler
  • RolledOates
  • Johnny92
  • broncos4life
  • Harry Sack
  • Skyblues87
  • Foordy
  • Galah
  • BroncoFan94
  • Culhwch
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncosgirl
  • Matheos
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.