2019 Broncos Line-up

Broncos rookie Sean O’Sullivan puts pressure on Kodi Nikorima

FEBRUARY 08, 2019
Rookie recruit Sean O’Sullivan has turned up the heat on Kodi Nikorima in the battle for the Broncos’ No.7 jumper after impressing Brisbane veterans with a bumper pre-season.
Brisbane’s Origin and Test back-rower Matt Gillett believes O’Sullivan’s attitude over summer has the playmaking greenhorn well placed to make his Broncos debut this year.
An off-season purchase from the Roosters, O’Sullivan may be one of the Broncos’ least recognisable faces, but the 20-year-old has caught the eye in the corridors of selection power at Red Hill.
d354c97294492c8e4ad47a78664b02b3

O'Sullivan has already made an impression. (AAP Image/Dan Peled)
New Broncos coach Anthony Seibold has introduced a reward system at training. Brisbane’s best trainer for the week is given the prize of running in a Broncos NRL jumper while the rest of the squad wear basic shirts and singlets.
O’Sullivan has already received the honour for his hard toil over summer, ensuring he is keeping first-choice halfback Nikorima honest in the fight for the No.7 jumper made famous by Allan Langer.
O’Sullivan has played just one NRL game, scoring a try on debut against the Titans last season, but Gillett believes the quietly-spoken halfback has the ability to be a Broncos regular.
“Sean is going really well,” Gillett said. “He has come up from Sydney and he has fitted in really well.
“Sean is learning a lot as well, he has been ripping into the gym. He started off a bit slow — I don’t think he is used to the gym program here — but he is finally adapting to it.
“At training, he is great with the ball and he is a good communicator, he has been steering the team around pretty well. He also has a good left foot kick.
“It says a lot when as a young bloke he has come in and won the Broncos jersey at training.
“He is one of the guys putting the pressure on and for us older boys, we are watching that.
“Sean is making sure we’re all fighting for positions. We’ve been impressed with him.”
O’Sullivan will get a chance to make a statement during the upcoming trials. He has been touted as a possible utility option in the No.14 jumper, but said recently he regards himself as a pure playmaker.
“I’m a halfback,” he said. “I always played half coming up through the ranks, so I’m a genuine No.7 and that’s where I see myself playing.
“I like watching Anthony Milford (Broncos five-eighth), he does some stuff that’s really impressive.
“I came to the Broncos for an opportunity and I thought my best chance of playing first grade was here, so hopefully with some luck it can happen.”

Source: Courier Mail.

Noticed he was one of our troops who went down to be tutored by Johns.

Inglis, Folau and Addo Carr where far from non names Bellamy turned into stars. Everyone knew of Inglis and Folau and how good there where long before Bellamy got to them and Addo Carr was very much a star on the rise when they signed him. The others Bellamy can take full credit for but not those 3z

Storm was Addo Carr's fourth club for nine NRL games.

That's a bit of a misleading comment to make it look like Addo carr was a lost player with no future ahead of him. He played all of those 9 nrl games for the tigers, tigers fans were massive fans of him. He was my brothers favourite player (unfortunately he's a tigers fan). The 2 other clubs were when he was playing sg ball (souths) and under 20's (sharks). Hardly an indicator that he lacked talent or potential. A person who never watched a footy game in his life saw a game of his once and turned to me and said "jeez, he's good", everyone could see it. He was good before he got to the storm, everyone just looks better and gets talked about more in a winning team. Bellamy didn't develop him.

Maybe so but anyone could see he was a star in the making at the tigers and unfortunately for the tigers he had already signed for Melbourne when he was given his real crack and everyone seen it. They even tried to get him out of the Melbourne deal because he was rated so highly.

Maybe so but anyone could see he was a star in the making at the tigers and unfortunately for the tigers he had already signed for Melbourne when he was given his real crack and everyone SAW it. They even tried to get him out of the Melbourne deal because he was rated so highly.

Source: Courier Mail.

Noticed he was one of our troops who went down to be tutored by Johns.

I’m excited about the fact that Niko has proper competition this year, it’s sink or swim for Niko

I purposely do it now to piss you off..... Mine Endglish aint dat bads now iz it, reely:'%?

Could just be for a trial game to get everyone some game time. It would be an odd selection in some ways seeing as he says he wants his lock to basically play like a middle forward. Gillett isnt that sort of player.

I'm a big fan of Fifita starting.

I can see why we'd go this way though, the impact of Haas & TPJ off the bench will be huge, I did throw up the idea of Gillett at Lock last season, he essentially plays like one now days anyway, making 45 tackles a game. Think of him as a younger, better version of Fensom.

Could be a good way to start the year. Solves a problem or two with what to do with Glenn. Also tightens the middle up with Gillo's D.

I'm aware only now how that sounds

But I'm all for it. Gives our most experienced a run while keeping strike off the bench. Each of those off the bench are attacking weapons

I'm a big fan of Fifita starting.

I can see why we'd go this way though, the impact of Haas & TPJ off the bench will be huge, I did throw up the idea of Gillett at Lock last season, he essentially plays like one now days anyway, making 45 tackles a game. Think of him as a younger, better version of Fensom.

But he's actually a few months older.

Active Now

• Midean
  • BruiserMk1
  • Foordy
  • FACTHUNT
  • GCBRONCO
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Culhwch
  • Fitzy
  • davidp
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosgirl
  • winslow_wong
  • Wolfie
  • I bleed Maroon
  • lynx000
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.