2019 Broncos Line-up

The dressingroom at fan day was set up at Lang Park by Matt the same as it is on game day to show people what it looks like.

It’s his team!
So, Round One team confirmed then. Haha!

Hard marker Oates keen to end his 3/10 performances

Author
Joel GouldNRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 9 Feb 2019, 08:01 PMvia Email
Corey Oates has told Broncos coach Anthony Seibold the key area he wants to improve in 2019 and insists the pre-season has got him prepared to ensure that "three out of 10" performances are a thing of the past.
"When he had his one-on-one meeting before Christmas, Seibs said ‘what do you think you need to improve’ and I said ‘closing the gap between my best game and my worst game’, and I think that comes down to all the little effort areas," Oates told NRL.com.
"It is all about not having your best game a nine [out of 10] and your worst game as a three."
Oates is a hard marker on himself. He had plenty of ‘nines’ last year on his way to being the club’s leading try scorer and regaining his Origin jersey.
The freakish finish in the round-15 win over the Cronulla Sharks has become one of his trademarks, and he repeated those match-winning displays throughout the year.
It is the 24-year-old winger's performance in the finals loss to the Dragons that he wants to eradicate. He was never in that game, and wasn’t happy with his performance despite carrying a calf injury into the match.
oates-c--182007_jo_1-5-4.jpg

The Broncos celebrate a Corey Oates try.©Jason O'Brien/NRL Photos
The Maroons winger pinpointed a key area where Seibold was helping the entire side close the gap, and related it back to a performance the Broncos would mark down as a three out of 10 at best.
"It was really tough to be a part of that semi because of how we’d played leading up to it, and then we dish up a performance like that. I didn’t play a great game at all," Oates said.
"But we are working on something with Seibs that I think will really help us a lot … and that’s how we react to a bad call or an error.
"When something happens that goes against you it is about flicking the switch and going 'right, I’m moving on and getting to my next job'. If you dwell on it for even five or 10 seconds it can go on for the whole set and they’ll score again.
"That is how it felt in that semi. No-one was reacting well or getting to the next job but I feel like we are on the way to being well prepared for that this year."
Oates said the strength and conditioning program put together by high performance chief Paul Devlin was also helping him to be ready to "close the gap" and to be at peak speed throughout the upcoming NRL season.
"It is game orientated the way they do it and about trying to get your high speed up more frequently and above normal game speed, and then seeing how you can take that into games and how often you can hit those high speeds," Oates said.
"Then when you get in games you are a bit more used to those effort areas. It is the sort of stuff I’ve been wanting to work on in my game.
"We get all the data each week and the last thing you want to see is that your percentages are lower than anyone else's so it makes you work harder. People always talk about muscle memory, so it will just become muscle memory when you get into a game."
Oates signed a one-year deal for 2019 and knows there will be constant speculation about his next move, but said playing another season off contract was not going to disrupt his Telstra Premiership campaign.
"I’m just going to do what I did last year, silence it all out,” he said.
"It makes me want to work harder and back myself again. My manager [George Mimis] and I thought that was the best way to go about it. He’s backing me. He just said 'all we need is for you to back yourself'. I did it last year and I’ll do it again.
"We aren’t going to push it. My side of it is to just play good football.”
And for Oates that is about not getting too carried away with his nine out of 10s, but making sure there are no threes.
It is why he played down his dazzling sprint to collect an Anthony Milford kick to score in the round-25 win over Manly.
"That is still part of my game that I need to fix up," he said.
"I want to work on pushing off the ball to try and be there for those plays. I feel like, as a winger, they are the times I should always be there."

I'm expecting big things this year if he’s settled.

How can Souths afford him when they're apparently trying to flick arguably their best forward in G.Burgess? If Bennett pays 250-500k more for TPJ (GBurgess wants 500 apparently, or at least that's what the Eels offer him) then that makes me even happier that he's not head coach here.
I'm surprised that you think WB decides how much people get paid. Managing a salary cap is a huge job and in the past when clubs have been in trouble for being over the cap is hasn't been the coach who is responsible. The coach may tell others he wants a player but I'd be very surprised if managing the salary cap was part of a coaches duties.

I'm surprised that you think WB decides how much people get paid. Managing a salary cap is a huge job and in the past when clubs have been in trouble for being over the cap is hasn't been the coach who is responsible. The coach may tell others he wants a player but I'd be very surprised if managing the salary cap was part of a coaches duties.

I hope Lockyer doesn't help make any decisions. He has been messing around with the QLD side way too much.

Just like this bloke had no idea...?
CF5BB6E5 C2E3 40C6 B030 0FCD83C74036

Last edited:
ESPECIALLY since this guy. Do you think procedures would not have been very closely scrutinised since then? Like I wrote, I'm surprised.
I certainly hope they have been scrutinised, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the inept NRL had managed to fluff that up too.

But that aside, I’d be more surprised if coaches didn’t know what their players are being paid.

Manage the salary cap? Probably not. But have an understanding of what players are being paid? Absolutely.

Coaches, by nature, are control freaks. I just can’t imagine they don’t in some capacity have their fingers in every pie of their football club.

Last edited:
ESPECIALLY since this guy. Do you think procedures would not have been very closely scrutinised since then? Like I wrote, I'm surprised.

Yeah, because if there is one thing the NRL is known for it is learning from there mistakes and not repeating them...

Yeah, because if there is one thing the NRL is known for it is learning from there mistakes and not repeating them...
Mmm, you have a pessimistic view about everything, finding negatives everywhere you look. I tend to have a middle of the road outlook thinking that sometimes things get better and sometimes not. I'm not quite to the stage of being a total optimist because that's not the reality but I'm not doom and gloom as a default. By the way, it's their.

I certainly hope they have been scrutinised, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the inept NRL had managed to fluff that up too.

But that aside, I’d be more surprised if coaches didn’t know what their players are being paid.

Manage the salary cap? Probably not. But have an understanding of what players are being paid? Absolutely.

Coaches, by nature, are control freaks. I just can’t imagine they don’t in some capacity have their fingers in every pie of their football club.
I never argued that coaches know nothing at all about their players rather I stated that they don't control the club's salary cap. They may have an understanding but really, isn't their wage private between the employee and employer? Why would a coach know? It's not how it's done in other businesses is it? No, I suspect that most coaches in 2019 would only have a ball park number for his top ranked players and a good idea about the lowest tier as minimums etc are well known.

Just like this bloke had no idea...?
View attachment 4426

The only thing Bellyache knows how to do is scare the ever loving shit out of his players enough so they play better than they really are. When it comes to salary cap and coaching a brand of footy that is both entertaining and competitive, he hasn't got a clue.

Mmm, you have a pessimistic view about everything, finding negatives everywhere you look. I tend to have a middle of the road outlook thinking that sometimes things get better and sometimes not. I'm not quite to the stage of being a total optimist because that's not the reality but I'm not doom and gloom as a default. By the way, it's their.

I actually have a fairly optimistic view on most things FWIW. When I do take a pessimistic view it is when I see the same thing over and over. I probably wouldn’t hold this view about the NRL if we stopped seeing salary cap cheating time and again. Or any number of negative things within the game repeating themselves.

Besides all this my pessimistic view has nothing to do with my post or with this discussion, so discuss the post and not the poster.

I never argued that coaches know nothing at all about their players rather I stated that they don't control the club's salary cap. They may have an understanding but really, isn't their wage private between the employee and employer? Why would a coach know? It's not how it's done in other businesses is it? No, I suspect that most coaches in 2019 would only have a ball park number for his top ranked players and a good idea about the lowest tier as minimums etc are well known.
You’ve asked a lot of questions but I’m not sure why. You’ve pretty much agreed with what I said, but just used different words to say it.

You’ve asked a lot of questions but I’m not sure why. You’ve pretty much agreed with what I said, but just used different words to say it.
No, I didn't agree with your initial statements about WB giving out money and your comment about WB's actions and how you were glad he wasn't here to do that. Basically accused him of some sort of crime and then inferred if he were still here he'd be doing that. Doesn't matter, think what you like about WB but he's gone and slagging him off, cheap shots aren't really warranted.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Skyblues87
  • Johnny92
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Horseheadsup
  • Dash
  • Brocko
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Lozza
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.