2019 Broncos Line-up

No, I didn't agree with your initial statements about WB giving out money and your comment about WB's actions and how you were glad he wasn't here to do that. Basically accused him of some sort of crime and then inferred if he were still here he'd be doing that. Doesn't matter, think what you like about WB but he's gone and slagging him off, cheap shots aren't really warranted.
Think you might be losing your mind old fella, I said and / or inferred literally none of that...

Last edited:
Bennett was the one that came in and got rid of players such as Barba and Hoffman.

He brought with him Darius Boyd.

I am fairly sure that Bennett had control of our roster

Correct. I was completely wrong. Very sorry. Wrong person.

giphy.gif

That doesn't mean he controls the management of players salaries.

What about when players come to play for Broncos for less because of Wayne Bennett being at the club? You don't think he has a major role in discussions?

I get that there is a board and CEO but at a good club they usually back the coach to make the right decisions.

At Dragons it has worked for the coach to not have any say in the roster because the coach is inept.

At the Broncos I would let Seibold have full control.

What about when players come to play for Broncos for less because of Wayne Bennett being at the club? You don't think he has a major role in discussions?

I get that there is a board and CEO but at a good club they usually back the coach to make the right decisions.

At Dragons it has worked for the coach to not have any say in the roster because the coach is inept.

At the Broncos I would let Seibold have full control.

No, i dont think players coming to the Broncos for unders has happened for a long, long time. The only players in recent years we have got on the cheap are blokes like Lodge who stuffed up big time so they couldnt really ask for big money. Bennett obviously has some influence, and would talk to the players and try to convince them to sign, but at the end of the day, we couldnt stop the likes of Ese'ese and Arrow leaving because they got offered a better deals elsewhere.Money is what its all about these days.

Dont know what you are going on about really, nobody is saying a head coach has no say on who he wants brought to the club or what players he wants to keep. So no, when it comes to negotiating what we pay our players, i dont think Bennett would have had a major role in recent times at all. If it did ever happen, it would have been well over a decade ago, if not longer.

Managing a roster and managing a salary cap and negotiating wages are two separate things these days. No coach in the game manages both. What do you mean give Seibold full control? Let him decide what we pay players and let him negotiate their contracts? Or just manage who he wants here. If its the latter, thats what head coaches across the game do anyway.

Last edited:
There is no way a coach doesn't have a say in player salaries. That's not to say Seibold will be writing out legal documents and negotiating bonuses but no way does White sign a player without saying Hey Seibs, what do you think of X for about 500k?

Part of being a coach is choosing your squad, and part of having a squad in the NRL is deciding who is worth what to have a good team composition.

Seibold might want a player but tell White only if he's willing to sign for under 300k.

There is no way a coach doesn't have a say in player salaries. That's not to say Seibold will be writing out legal documents and negotiating bonuses but no way does White sign a player without saying Hey Seibs, what do you think of X for about 500k?

Part of being a coach is choosing your squad, and part of having a squad in the NRL is deciding who is worth what to have a good team composition.

Seibold might want a player but tell White only if he's willing to sign for under 300k.

Huge difference though in a coach saying dont go over X amount for a player ( which obviously would happen ) and a coach actually managing the cap and negotiating contracts ( which is also a huge part of cap management with 3rd party deals etc ). I still cant see them playing a major role in the financial side of things these days.

Huge difference though in a coach saying dont go over X amount for a player ( which obviously would happen ) and a coach actually managing the cap and negotiating contracts ( which is also a huge part of cap management with 3rd party deals etc ). I still cant see them playing a major role in the financial side of things these days.
I don't think they'd play a major role in negotiations and the accounting side of things but I'm absolutely sure he'd have access to the documents for player salaries, and would have regular input on who to let go, who to re-sign and what player should be paid what in re-negotiations. Only the CEO and coach know how much input that would be and I doubt they'd be honest about it publicly anyway. Perhaps somewhere like Penrith Phil Gould is a control freak and manages everything in that regard and the coach simply deals with the coaching. I'm only guessing but it wouldn't make sense for it to be any other way IMO. In other leagues with no cap, I doubt the coach cares or has any input on player salaries but in the NRL signing players at the right price is half the equation of winning a premiership.

I don't think they'd play a major role in negotiations and the accounting side of things but I'm absolutely sure he'd have access to the documents for player salaries, and would have regular input on who to let go, who to re-sign and what player should be paid what in re-negotiations. Only the CEO and coach know how much input that would be and I doubt they'd be honest about it publicly anyway. Perhaps somewhere like Penrith Phil Gould is a control freak and manages everything in that regard and the coach simply deals with the coaching. I'm only guessing but it wouldn't make sense for it to be any other way IMO. In other leagues with no cap, I doubt the coach cares or has any input on player salaries but in the NRL signing players at the right price is half the equation of winning a premiership.

Most coaches would have a handle on what they could spend. It's not suoercoach, you aren't recruiting players every 12 months so you know how much you have to play with in any particular year.

I still don't think any coach would be that involved in the actual contract negotiations. Bennett wasnt as far as I know since he came back to the club ( although he did have some handy contacts to maybe get some under paid players some nice perks ), and I don't see Seibs doing much in that regard either. He is very much focused on the playing side of things.

I think players coming to the club for "unders" was a little overblown. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say they might see a cut today, with a larger slice tomorrow for the sake of a successful team, but I doubt they'd stay for less full stop. Lodge, Roberts and Benji are the obvious exceptions.
Even a player like tpj might take a little under marker expectations, knowing a successful, high profile club will lead to a bigger pay out later, either at this club or another.
The thing is, it's only true of players on the cusp of their 1st grade careers and not established NRL players.
The other thing, is for that sacrifice there is an expectation of reward down the track. Thaiday's last season may have been as much an example to younger players of "loyalty" working both ways. It says "you do right by us, we'll do right for you" (note: only a few players can expect that, and they are also the same players being used as the "face" of the club),so it feeds into itself, with a player "brand".
Whether this continues under the new regime will be anyone's guess, but I see no reason for it to change. Whether the same players will see out their time as the "face" of our club will be interesting, and a couple of regulars going missing from promotions would be telling.
The exception to all this is Haas. He seems to have managed to convince the powers that be that he has what it takes to be something "special", and that at a team where the likes of future origin stars are the expectation. I've heard the stories and he looked good in his limited time but for what he's been paid, there must be the possibility of a future "immortal" in him for some. It is an interesting time to be a supporter for sure.

Most coaches would have a handle on what they could spend. It's not suoercoach, you aren't recruiting players every 12 months so you know how much you have to play with in any particular year.

I still don't think any coach would be that involved in the actual contract negotiations. Bennett wasnt as far as I know since he came back to the club ( although he did have some handy contacts to maybe get some under paid players some nice perks ), and I don't see Seibs doing much in that regard either. He is very much focused on the playing side of things.

You don't think Seibold organised the signing of Richie Kennar? Seems like Seibold already has control of the roster.

I also have a feeling he has something to do with the recent signings of Izere Perese and Ilikena Vudogo.

Last edited:
No, i dont think players coming to the Broncos for unders has happened for a long, long time. The only players in recent years we have got on the cheap are blokes like Lodge who stuffed up big time so they couldnt really ask for big money. Bennett obviously has some influence, and would talk to the players and try to convince them to sign, but at the end of the day, we couldnt stop the likes of Ese'ese and Arrow leaving because they got offered a better deals elsewhere.Money is what its all about these days.

Dont know what you are going on about really, nobody is saying a head coach has no say on who he wants brought to the club or what players he wants to keep. So no, when it comes to negotiating what we pay our players, i dont think Bennett would have had a major role in recent times at all. If it did ever happen, it would have been well over a decade ago, if not longer.

Managing a roster and managing a salary cap and negotiating wages are two separate things these days. No coach in the game manages both. What do you mean give Seibold full control? Let him decide what we pay players and let him negotiate their contracts? Or just manage who he wants here. If its the latter, thats what head coaches across the game do anyway.

I’m not getting involved in the discussion on coaches and their knowledge of the salary cap, but Tavita has said that he personally called Wayne and offered to play for minimum wage to be coached by him.

You can’t tell me that we payed big money to re-sign Boyd without WB being in on it,

Active Now

• Tmac
  • Broncosgirl
  • Bish
  • Waynesaurus
  • Pablo
  • Financeguy
  • mieko
  • lynx000
  • Broncorob
  • TimWhatley
  • FACTHUNT
  • Santa
  • BroncosAlways
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Lozza
  • Aldo
  • Allo
  • Nerd
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.