2019 Broncos Line-up

It's not about him being involved in signings, he is obviously involved in identifying players he wants and talking to them just the same as any coach. He wouldn't be involved majorly in the financials.

As for Kennar and TPJ, I do recall TPJ saying he wanted to play under Bennett but I never recall the minimum wage part. Siebs would have had a chat to Kennar, then let White organise the rest to see if a deal can be done.

I’m not getting involved in the discussion on coaches and their knowledge of the salary cap, but Tavita has said that he personally called Wayne and offered to play for minimum wage to be coached by him.

He didn’t say anything about minimum wage.

You can’t tell me that we payed big money to re-sign Boyd without WB being in on it,
Paid. Paid. Unless you're talking about sealing the cracks in the deck of a ship or the seams don't use payed !!! I can tell you WB wasn't in on it. It's just that he probably was but that cannot stop me telling you he wasn't.

Last edited:
Broncos have a recruitment retention committee- White, Nolan and Lockyer. Obviously Seibold would be privy to conversations and thinking. He has to manage his 36 spots and who is off contract and available and thinking long term.

It's like at home, you have some clue what you can afford and not afford, who you want and don't want but your wife knows what you have down to the last cent and can say you can't have it for that price.

Last edited:
Paid. Paid. Unless you're talking about sealing the cracks in the deck of a ship or the seams don't use payed !!! I can tell you WB wasn't in on it. It's just that he probably was but that cannot stop me telling you he wasn't.

Come on man instead of following on with the topic at hand only you would rather attack people over a spelling error.

Broncos have a recruitment retention committee- White, Nolan and Lockyer. Obviously Seibold would be privy to conversations and thinking. He has to manage his 36 spots and who is off contract and available and thinking long term.

It's like at home, you have some clue what you can afford and not afford, who you want and don't want but your wife knows what you have down to the last cent and can say you can't have it for that price.

Lockyer definitely had a say in the recruitment of Jack Bird.

I'd actually prefer him not to be in control of anything. Great player, but I don't trust his judgement all that much.

He'd be better used as a halves coach or an assistant coach

Last edited:
Lockyer definitely had a say in the recruitment of Jack Bird.

I'd actually prefer him not to be in control of anything. Great player, but I don't trust his judgement all that much.

He'd be better used as a halves coach or an assistant coach
I think you might be being a bit harsh on Locky. If you watch the games he comments on invariably what he stays is pretty insightful and astute. His interview technique is shocking but it has improved from downright cringe worthy, but his reading of a game and the input he has is far more constructive than most of the serial whingers ch9 employ. Furthermore, He takes great care to try and remain as unbiased as possible, which I consider as great judgement.

Edit: Off topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think players coming to the club for "unders" was a little overblown. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say they might see a cut today, with a larger slice tomorrow for the sake of a successful team, but I doubt they'd stay for less full stop. Lodge, Roberts and Benji are the obvious exceptions.
Even a player like tpj might take a little under marker expectations, knowing a successful, high profile club will lead to a bigger pay out later, either at this club or another.
The thing is, it's only true of players on the cusp of their 1st grade careers and not established NRL players.
The other thing, is for that sacrifice there is an expectation of reward down the track. Thaiday's last season may have been as much an example to younger players of "loyalty" working both ways. It says "you do right by us, we'll do right for you" (note: only a few players can expect that, and they are also the same players being used as the "face" of the club),so it feeds into itself, with a player "brand".
Whether this continues under the new regime will be anyone's guess, but I see no reason for it to change. Whether the same players will see out their time as the "face" of our club will be interesting, and a couple of regulars going missing from promotions would be telling.
The exception to all this is Haas. He seems to have managed to convince the powers that be that he has what it takes to be something "special", and that at a team where the likes of future origin stars are the expectation. I've heard the stories and he looked good in his limited time but for what he's been paid, there must be the possibility of a future "immortal" in him for some. It is an interesting time to be a supporter for sure.
There have been lots of instances when either players stayed or decided to come for lots less than other clubs would offer. It makes sense, mostly because of the increased chance of finals footy, more tv exposure, and better chance of playing rep footy. It is a professional game and playing have to set up their family, but other things should be considered, if you are smart.

Strike forward David Fifita waiting in wings for Broncos chance

FEBRUARY 08, 2019
One of Brisbane’s strengths under Anthony Seibold will be the depth they enjoy in the forward pack with exciting backrower David Fifita admitting he’s still down the pecking order.
Fifita made his NRL debut midway through last season and his impact was immediate as he looked right at home in the second-row at just 18.
The first player born in the 2000s to play NRL is good enough to start in the big league but he’s also stuck behind veterans Alex Glenn and Matt Gillett while fellow young gun Jaydn Su’A is also in the mix.
Fifita’s best chance of adding to his 11 first grade games is by securing a bench spot.
“Alex Glenn and that are still in front of me but all I can do is what I can do, keep training hard and be in the team. I need to learn off them,” Fifita said.
c215e680d136bd8db5217dfe1459095b

David Fifita is good enough to start in the NRL for the Broncos. Picture: Getty Images
“For myself it’s just the simple things — running the right lines, early touches, no dropped balls, that kind of stuff.”
A strike forward with serious pace and a gifted defender, Fifita said he and Seibold had some discussions about a potential move to the middle in order to secure more game time but confirmed things were far from set in stone.
“I’m not too sure, we’ll have to see how Seibs wants it to play out,” Fifita said.
“He spoke to me about it but not too much, I’m not too sure.
“Seibs likes working on everything with everyone, especially with the younger boys, their weaknesses and what they need to work and improve on.”
Fifita will start in the back row for the Indigenous All Stars against the Māori All Stars on Friday night at AAMI Park.

Source: Courier Mail.

Gotta make room for him somewhere

Agreed. Fifita is the one that I really, really hope we do not loose. If TPJ wants out post 2019, let him walk so that we can extend the likes of Fifita and Su’a long term. In saying that, I obviously also want TPJ to stay, but if Fifita hits the open market (I think that’s at the end of this season) I can only imagine the massive $$ that will be thrown his way..

I'm with you might be a big ask to use him as a middle forward so young, but what an expereince for him. They say the best ship's captains dont learn to sail on a calm lake. So long as he is not left there for too long it might be good for his confidence if it works out. I'm sure he's big enough to handle himself if looked after by either Joffa or Lodgey.

I just really want to see some wrestling or control in our tackles. WB never liked it but it’s part of the modern game.

Yo boys,

is the trial game this weekend?

where can I watch a live stream of it?

Any ideas on our 17 line up?

cheers.

Trial against Souths Logan this Saturday 6pm at Warwick, not sure if there will be a live stream and no word on a lineup.

Trial against Souths Logan this Saturday 6pm at Warwick, not sure if there will be a live stream and no word on a lineup.

Named today- Dearden is playing and as many train and trial guys as they can.

Last edited:
Named today- Dearden is playing and as many train and trial guys as they can.
Someone in the know. Can you post the team please for the rest of us ill-informed curious cats.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Jedhead
  • broncos4life
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Johnny92
  • Tim K
  • winslow_wong
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Mr Fourex
  • Galah
  • Culhwch
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncosgirl
  • Hoof Hearted
  • RolledOates
  • Manifesto
  • leon.bott
  • Brocko
  • Xzei
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.